Injury or Genetic?

LenS

These 2 bucks are running around on our hunting property. The "odd" antlers on both bucks are very similar. At first we thought it was injury but after seeing them running together earlier this year we were wondering if it was actually a genetic oddity. Anyone else see something like this? I killed a buck several years ago that had the same antlers and there was no visible sign of injury.

Attachments

• WGI_0048.JPG
    WGI_0048.JPG
    755.8 KB · Views: 680
  • WGI_0135.JPG
    WGI_0135.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 575

BSK

Both most likely have pedicle damage to the weird looking side.
This. In theory (notice I said "in theory"), genetics doesn't work this way. A buck does not have genetic code for his left antler and his right antler. He simply has code for "antlers." The process of bilateral symmetry grows the two antlers in a near mirror image. However, the process of "trophic memory" could cause a particular injury-induced abnormality to be repeated in follow years. However, trophic memory is unlikely to be heritable to offspring.

Snake

This. In theory (notice I said "in theory"), genetics doesn't work this way. A buck does not have genetic code for his left antler and his right antler. He simply has code for "antlers." The process of bilateral symmetry grows the two antlers in a near mirror image. However, the process of "trophic memory" could cause a particular injury-induced abnormality to be repeated in follow years. However, trophic memory is unlikely to be heritable to offspring.
What BSK said ! He's forgot more than most know especially me :)

LenS

I figured that it was injury related. Seeing the bucks running together back in the summer is the only thing that made me wonder if genetics were a possibility. So, if I am understanding correctly, "trophic memory" means that the antler may continue to be odd even after the injury is healed?

Thanks for input everyone.

BSK

So, if I am understanding correctly, "trophic memory" means that the antler may continue to be odd even after the injury is healed?
Trophic memory is the ability of the deer's nervous system to "remember" injuries that occurred to a growing antler and reproduce the same injury-induced deformity in future years, even though that injury has not occurred to future year's velvet antlers. Sometimes, these type of deformities fade with age, being less and less pronounced each year.

Now the types of injuries where a buck grows a normal antler on one side and a highly deformed cluster of spikes or a single spike on the other side is usually due to pedicle damage that occurs at antler shedding. In essence, the antler comes off a little too soon, tearing the center out of the pedicle. This type of damage to the growth center of the antler produces permanent deformities that get worse with age.

Latest posts