In What Year Did You Kill Your First Deer?

jaybird62

1980. December 13th at 10:15 EST marked my first whitetail kill. After five years trying to connect with a Sampson County, North Carolina buck, I was taking a nap when I awoke to those sweet-mouthed Walker hounds pushing a buck up the creek through a hellish thicket. I jumped up and fired four rounds of 12 ga. buckshot at the sprinting 6-pointer 25 yards away to claim my first. I can count on one hand the times in my life I have been that happy. The rest have nothing to do with deer hunting.

GoldenEagle09

Final year of college in 2012. I am a baby hunter... always had the interest to do it, just didn't have a dad who was very interested in hunting. I was skunked my first year, but the next I killed a doe and 4 pointer within 30 min of each other. That was a good day! Funny thing is... for about 5 min I thought the buck was a doe! Good thing I took another good look at it!

Boone 58

mathews338 said:
1987 and I was 10 on opening day of the Juvy hunt. My first time in the stand ever and I killed a 4 pt with a 264 win mag.

Freaking awesome...........took me from 1974 until 1979...and I will never forget "that" feeling. That was still the best ever, even though he was only about 3 pts......At Laurel Hill WMA.

Southern Sportsman

'98. Ten years old in Obion County on opening morning of the juvenile hunt.

I passed on a big doe at sunrise because I wanted to kill a buck. (I had been tagging along with my dad since I was seven and he always passed on does so I thought I should too even though he told me I could shoot her). A little after 9:00 a yearling 7 pt came out following a doe. It's weird how well I remember all the little details. Some things just stick with you.

mathews338

Boone 58 said:
mathews338 said:
1987 and I was 10 on opening day of the Juvy hunt. My first time in the stand ever and I killed a 4 pt with a 264 win mag.

Freaking awesome...........took me from 1974 until 1979...and I will never forget "that" feeling. That was still the best ever, even though he was only about 3 pts......At Laurel Hill WMA.
my dad hunted a lot in the 70's and here in Jackson county at that time it was hard. He would hunt as hard as you can possibly imagine and might see 5 deer all season long. It wasn't until the mid to late 80's that the whole county had good huntable numbers so I was lucky to get to start hunting at that time. Now that my kids are getting old enough to start hunting I am very happy to say that deer numbers have never been better and the chances of them having success are about as high as they can get. My girl has hunted the last 2 years and killed 3 bucks. My boy is 5 and turns 6 in 1 month so he has not gone yet but I can't wait

Ken45

1966 I was 31 had hunted deer since was 16 no luck,bought a polar 2 .killed 3 deer that year ,been hooked on bow hunting ever since

Latest posts