I need a giant bowkill!

CliffordN

I know, so does everyone, right?
But, here is the deal.
I am in need of a story. Somehow I have managed to find some of the largest bucks killed in the country this past season, and not one of them was taken with archery equipment.
This is unusual, but 2021 was not the ordinary year, so no real surprise.
Not to be too picky, but it would help if the hunt took place in the south, since that is the area I am supposed to cover, and even better if it was from TN. I do not need anything from Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, or Kansas.
180 typical and up. And, if you want to rock my world, find a huge Non Typical, that no one has heard about. It must be free range, and all legal!
To sweeten the pot, I will throw in a subscription to North American Whitetail, the absolute hands down top of the world trophy deer hunting magazine, for the person who finds something I can write about.
So, if any of you who read this just happen to know of someone who took a true giant last season, with an arrow, please get me in touch ASAP!
I need the hunter's name, and some form of contact info, or at least a hot trail to run down.
Please PM me. No need to put leads and contact info here.
Thanks

2HUNT

My biggest gripe about North American Whitetail magazine articles, is that so many contributors are so wrapped up in getting on a ''Pro staff'', that they feel the need to list every single item that they used. Right down to the brand name of their underwear. Usually the brand of bow, gun, stand or whatever plays an insignificant role in the outcome of the hunt. It usually boils down to preparation and skill / knowledge. That all, carry on......

CliffordN

A few folks do tell their own stories, and what gets published is up to the editors. I usually describe equipment in generic terms, and haven't really seen a lot of what you are posting about. I will mention your comment to Shelton.

DMD

Congrats on an awesome job/hobby. How cool is it to write for a deer hunting magazine. My deer hunting mentor had subscriptions to NAW back in the day. He'd bring them to me when he was through, and I'd read them through. My biggest frustration was reading about kids or people who never hunted, walking out their back door, dropping candy bars on the ground and climbing down to get them, and climbing back into their stand and a 250" buck would be standing there. MEANWHILE, I was climbing mountains, walking in 45 minutes, freezing my butt off, sitting still as a rock and just hoping I'd see a spike!! :D:D:D:D😁 I hope you find a great target for your article.

CliffordN

Congrats on an awesome job/hobby. How cool is it to write for a deer hunting magazine. My deer hunting mentor had subscriptions to NAW back in the day. He'd bring them to me when he was through, and I'd read them through. My biggest frustration was reading about kids or people who never hunted, walking out their back door, dropping candy bars on the ground and climbing down to get them, and climbing back into their stand and a 250" buck would be standing there. MEANWHILE, I was climbing mountains, walking in 45 minutes, freezing my butt off, sitting still as a rock and just hoping I'd see a spike!! :D:D:D:D😁 I hope you find a great target for your article.
Thanks. I have been writing for NAW for 21 years. There are three scenarios that I hear when I interview. The deer was there and I was hunting him. I knew a big deer was in the area, and he came by. And, the one you described, I got in the stand and this giant just walked up.
My very first article was about a fellow whose brother in law had his truck broken into. He thought they might come back, so he put the kid on his stand and staked out his truck. A few minutes into this ruse, a 174 inch 7 x 7 walked in, that had only two inches of deductions. I heard they didn't speak again for years!

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Cliff I sure wish you well on your search. I will say however that out of 119 filled tags my most rewarding was a 60lbs doe taken with a long bow that I made. I think we miss some of the best adventure stories because we are blinded by horns. Dont get me wrong I'm still searching for my 1st 150" buck but for me.. Loins!

DoubleRidge

What a cool job... hopefully you find the story your looking for!

Our local highschool does a magazine drive fund raiser every year and my wife and I both get one magazine each to support the effort....she doesn't even ask me which one I want....I've had a subscription to North American Whitetail for many many years....I enjoy the habitat management section as well as the stories which showcase the giant bucks from all over the country....it's nice to unplug and pick up a book or a magazine for a change.

Bear15

Well I wasn't in TN so it may not help you at all but I did kill a great buck in Illinois this year with my bow. Feel free to reach out if it is of interest to you and I can give you details. Thanks

CliffordN

Well I wasn't in TN so it may not help you at all but I did kill a great buck in Illinois this year with my bow. Feel free to reach out if it is of interest to you and I can give you details. Thanks
Thanks for the reply. We actually get too many stories from Ohio, Illinois, and Kansas for the magazine every year. So I am seeking kills from other states, especially from the south or something unusual. My ideal story would be a young girl who killed a giant with a long bow that she made on her on.
NAW can ruin over a hundred online stories in a year, and I will be focusing on that more, once they hire a new digital editor.

With that being said, if you happen to know someone between 25 and 35 who is a stone cold killin machine, can travel and is good on camera, knows his way around building websites and editing written documents as well as video, and doesn't require a salary that would choke a horse, I know where a job is. It is not the life for most married guys, but not too shabby for a single fellow who likes to kill big bucks and wants to see himself on the small screen. The downside is the groupies are generally male!

Latest posts