I need a giant bowkill!

Headhunter

yea no need to enjoy large Whitetails killed by fellow hunters and be happy with their success
Wrong, I very much enjoy the success of hunters who kill "large" whitetails, just this past weekend I spent many hours sharing stories with a couple of friends who have killed large whitetails, a few of them were bowkills, one was recurve. All fair chase, all hunted for and they for sure have killed some large ones, larger than me, I saw several mounts up close, that are over 170" gross, one was 189". And since you posted that, I called and asked them if they would be interested in sharing any of their stories with American Whitetail, they said nope, not interested. Exact same reasons as myself. To me that magazine is about the same as hunting shows, I have no interest in either.

Headhunter

No problem. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla. I prefer writing "How to" articles, but these pay the bills too!
And more power to you and all that you do, I agree, one reason why it is great we live in a free country. But kind of like pro sports, well most all sports now as far as I am concerned, good thing they don't depend on my support to make money.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Clifford I would be honored for you to write my big buck story in NAW. But I live in upper east, land of the 110" shooters. If you ever wanna talk "tough huntin mountain deer" take a trip up this way. They ain't Kansas big but if you poke one with an arrow then I'd say you've earned it.

RobbyW

I can get you in touch with the guy that killed this NW Arkansas deer.
B1DB6AB0-DE54-4C46-B0D1-1FBD718B78E6.jpeg

Attachments

• 0462F314-57D4-4A0F-9BB6-AFB484AB59A9.jpeg
    0462F314-57D4-4A0F-9BB6-AFB484AB59A9.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 62

Headhunter

That question would be better asked of Gordon Whittington. He might remember it. I lost my whole collection of past issues years back, or I would look it up.
I would be interesting in seeing an article if one was written. I know the TRUE story of how that deer was killed.

Headhunter

Start a new thread and tell us all about it. Pictures would be nice, too .
Oh, it is interesting. I have one pic from the guy that was with him, the mount in the guy's house. Typical 10 pt, with a couple inch sticker. grossed in the 190's, netted in the low 170's, but deer looks more even than 20" in deductions.

The following is the "highlights", the hunter, Ronald, was hungover, severely. He had never hunted, hadn't even shot a gun much, the gun was purchased the night before and bore sighted. Jeff Hankins (makes a custom muzzleloaders) was one of the guys on the hunt. They sat Ronald on the front of the farm to hunt the first morning and planned to sight the gun in at lunch. It was not expected Ron would see much. My friend heard him shoot several times, and Ron came and told him he had killed a 6 pointer. He had shot the deer in several different places and only one shot was a killing shot and I believe the deer had to be finished off. Where it gets bad is people came from "everywhere", magazines, deer hunting product companies, etc. wanting to buy the horns, wanting the story for a magazine, etc. A story was published. The story told how great of a hunter he was, all the deer hunting products he used to kill the deer, etc. (he received a pile of products from different companies just because he said he was using them) when the guy barely made it to the spot he hunted from. A complete pile of BS.

I know of a few other stories of deer kills by "hunters" published in magazines, that are no where near what actually happened. I am sure there are many valid stories that are truthful and interesting, but I know there is enough crap in magazines, just like tv hunting shows, that I will just talk to people that I know or meet wherever and share hunting stories.

To me when people, go looking for stories like that, they will get more "BS" than truth.

CliffordN

After you interview several hundred folks, you gain a sense of when the BS starts. Can I be fooled? Of course! But, I do a lot of background checking to vet the stories, as best I can, before my name goes on a byline. Do folks try to capitalize on killing a big deer? Yep! However, in most cases there is very little to be gained, unless a company is really looking for something to promote, and the deer is a world record. And, even then there is no real money to be made. The hunter generally gets some merchandise, and that fades away fast.
Marketing is nothing like writing. That is someone else's game, and I stay far away from it when I am getting a story, unless the hunter insists that using a certain product was the main reason he killed the deer. I get that on scents fairly regularly.
I also ask the same questions over again later, if I think something seems off, to see if the story changes. There is really not much else that you can do. I might also add that most of these stories are not from folks who called me asking if I would promote them. They are excited that I found them, but more excited about killing a big deer.
TV is what it is. I know because I also worked on several different shows quite a few years back. There, the sponsors push for promoting their products, and since that pays the bills you use them and show them. I never said much like, "I couldn't have killed this deer without my XWZ broadhead". Since it wasn't my show, I didn't have a lot of choice in what equipment we used. But, if we did use the competition's gear, we shot around it to avoid the conflict. Is that deceptive? Somewhat. But does anyone think a brand makes that much difference in the outcome of most hunts? By the way, that was one of the hardest jobs I ever tried. We stayed in the road, spent too much of our own money, and sat out in terrible weather more than i care to recall now!
You certainly have a right to your opinion, and I am sure there are other folks who don't see any value in reading the stories, or watching someone else hunt. But, there are plenty that do, and for that I am very thankful.
There doesn't seem to be much difference, to me, in you meeting someone and accepting their version of a story and what I do. But, you can bet I don't alter them in any way to sell something.

Ski

As my granny told me, liars never believe a thing and thieves are ever fearful of being cheated. In college I learned that phenomenon has a label. It's called projection. We humans have a tendency to view others as we view ourselves in attempt to relate and understand them. It happens unconsciously, but in doing so we unintentionally reveal our own character.

I for one appreciate NAW and enjoy reading the stories. You're doing a fine job. Keep it coming! Hopefully you find your story soon. When you do, let us know so we can be on the lookout :)

Volbuck777

As my granny told me, liars never believe a thing and thieves are ever fearful of being cheated. In college I learned that phenomenon has a label. It's called projection. We humans have a tendency to view others as we view ourselves in attempt to relate and understand them. It happens unconsciously, but in doing so we unintentionally reveal our own character.

I for one appreciate NAW and enjoy reading the stories. You're doing a fine job. Keep it coming! Hopefully you find your story soon. When you do, let us know so we can be on the lookout :)
Not sure I agree ski. I'll give you a quote passed down from my grandpa it goes like this, don't believe nothing you hear and just half of what you see. Only exception is the Bible. I can't stand a thief nor am I a liar. My conscience won't allow either. More than that my spiritual compass won't point in that direction. Education blinds wisdom at times because of indoctrination. I may be way off base but I'm not subconsciously judging anyone because who I am. I will say I'm in the same boat as you about the op's job and story. Good luck

Latest posts