I Did It Again

Mike Belt

1 spike from the stand this morning and a few turkeys. I had a place I wanted to look at after climbing down not far from where I was hunting but it was warm and I didn't want to carry all my stuff so....I laid everything down...again...including my rifle and went looking. I found a couple of good scrapes and hung a camera in one spot. I was in the other looking when a 135" 4 1/2 year old 8 pointer walked by me at 60 feet. He never knew I was in the world. I did kill him with my finger though. No scrapes in there but several big rubs. Guess where I'll be in the morning.

Mike Belt

This makes the 5th time I've done it. I walked up on a 150" 10 pointer with does not 40 yards away a couple years back. The killer is that every time I do it the deer never even knew I was there. I can't do that when I have my rifle.

Mike Belt

I wasn't being quiet. In fact I was sawing off a couple of limbs on a potential climbing tree and I thought I heard something. When I turned around he just walked right by me. So...in the morning I'll be a sawing fool.

For some reason I think I send off "I ain't got a gun" vibes and every buck I walk up on or he walks up on me has been a shooter.

catman529

Never put your weapon down, even to take a dump, I've had it happen with a 120" 3.5 year old 2 years ago when I was looking for a deer I shot.

Shed Hunter

Mike Belt said:
For some reason I think I send off "I ain't got a gun" vibes and every buck I walk up on or he walks up on me has been a shooter.

It is amazing how well animals sense a threat. I've found with coyotes that now that I choose not to kill them I have been able to walk right up to them in the woods. I always was amazed at wildlife photographers ability to get the footage they do but animals just somehow have that extra sense that let's them know when things are okay.

Crosshairy

I started hunting a lot with my pistol last year. I plan to repeat the process this time around. I had a lot of fun carrying it, shot a nice doe with it, and in areas with close cover, feel pretty confident with it.

The cool thing is that it rides in a cross-chest "bandolier" holster, and is light enough that I don't feel compelled to put it down.

I went on several hunts last year where I carried nothing else. Maybe you should consider it :)

tasaman

Ouch. Well lessons learned the hard way tend to stick the best. Now if you do this again your gonna make us wonder.

Latest posts