Did he Survive?

SJS

To each their own. As long as I'm physically able I will bow hunt. When I'm no longer physically able maybe I'll crossbow hunt. I won't take anything away from firearms hunting. I do it and enjoy it. But it's a far cry from the excitement and sense of accomplishment I get from bow hunting. I like it because it's hard. But I also dedicate significant time to it. Some guys golf. Some guys fish. Some guys watch football. I shoot my bow.

That said I cannot argue that a lot of deer get wounded and lost due to errant archery shots. It's a fact. Even if the hunter does everything perfect it's always a very real possibility that the animal won't die. Unfortunately too many bow hunters seem to neglect the archery part of archery hunting. You really have to be comfortable with your equipment and be honest with yourself about your capabilities & limitations. It doesn't happen over night and it doesn't stay if you lay off. You've got to stay on top of it. It really requires more dedication than a lot of hunters are willing to give it, but that doesn't stop them from hunting anyway. It's not a gun that can be sighted in and put away. If a hunter should have to practice enough with a firearm to be proficient, then they really should have to practice with a bow. But many do not. And many deer get lost because of it.
I have a personal friend who runs a tracking dog here in Michigan and she says 75% of her overall calls for service are from stick and string hunters. To your point Ski!!

BSK

That said I cannot argue that a lot of deer get wounded and lost due to errant archery shots. It's a fact. Even if the hunter does everything perfect it's always a very real possibility that the animal won't die. Unfortunately too many bow hunters seem to neglect the archery part of archery hunting. You really have to be comfortable with your equipment and be honest with yourself about your capabilities & limitations. It doesn't happen over night and it doesn't stay if you lay off. You've got to stay on top of it. It really requires more dedication than a lot of hunters are willing to give it, but that doesn't stop them from hunting anyway. It's not a gun that can be sighted in and put away. If a hunter should have to practice enough with a firearm to be proficient, then they really should have to practice with a bow. But many do not. And many deer get lost because of it.
I truly suck at killing deer with arrows. That's my honest assessment!

fairchaser

Totally going against the grain from everybody else on this one... I think there is a VERY good chance he is fine.

Reason I'm saying so... If a viscous was perforated, he would have already died within a week of the shot from sepsis. That pic being taken a week later with a nice shiny coat means he is still grooming himself. A dying deer doesn't do that. His eyes look bright and healthy as well. Too soon after the shot to look for weight loss, but he looks to be in good condition prior to the mishap.

Now don't get me wrong... I just don't see HOW gut wasn't lacerated with the shot. But based on the cam pic, I really don't think it was, as again, he'd already be dead.
Mega, I see your points but how do you figure he's fine with an arrow poking out of his guts? Are you assuming he pulled it free? If so, then I agree!

Ski

I have a personal friend who runs a tracking dog here in Michigan and she says 75% of her overall calls for service are from stick and string hunters. To your point Ski!!

I believe it. Wish it weren't so but it is. Doesn't have to be that way. I know plenty bow hunters who don't wound many animals, although it happens to everybody at some point I'd guess. Just the nature of the beast. Even at very close range a deer can flinch so hard at sound of shot that it moves enough so that the arrow hits nowhere near where it would have, or even outright misses. It's always a chance. Like you said earlier, bow hunting is a humbling sport.

Ski

Mega, I see your points but how do you figure he's fine with an arrow poking out of his guts? Are you assuming he pulled it free? If so, then I agree!

When field dressing it's normal practice to cut through the hide to expose the stomach & guts without puncturing them. The stomach liner is actually pretty thick & tough & pliable. My guess is that the head's point and/or blades were dull, which not only significantly inhibited penetration but also allowed the arrow to push into the stomach without actually poking through into it. Unfortunately it would eventually abrade its way through little by little like being sawed by a butter knife with every move the buck made, and when it did the deer would succumb to sepsis within hours. Or perhaps the arrow brushed against something and forced the cut. Either way the head eventually punctured stomach and killed the deer. If the arrow came out without that happening then yeah the deer probably would survive, but I don't see that being a likely scenario.

knightrider

If that picture is truly a week later it didnt make it to the guts, a gut shot deer will die within 8-24 hrs period. I think angle was steep enough it hung on back of ribcage with out any penetration.

deerhunter10

If that picture is truly a week later it didnt make it to the guts, a gut shot deer will die within 8-24 hrs period. I think angle was steep enough it hung on back of ribcage with out any penetration.
I've seen gut shot deer go 48 and a 1 72. Even still he is around the guts infection is almost inevitable.

megalomaniac

I'm assuming the arrow didn't actually hit his 'guts'.

A very, very valid assumption.... because IF the arrow actually punctured his 'guts', he would have been dead in 12h min, 5 days max.

The arrow 'looks' bad... but its just looks. It didn't do any real damage. Seen too many folks shot in the 'gut' that were explored in surgery and just got crazy lucky and the bullet never hit anything of consequence.

And yes, he will eventually hang the arrow on something and pull it out.

SJS

I'll be running cameras all winter and looking for sheds during turkey season, so who knows. He was/is a great looking young buck and hopefully he'll make through to next year. I wonder assuming he survives will his rack go down because of the injury or wouldn't this type of wound affect the antlers?

Latest posts