Where'd he come from?

DMD

Got this picture yesterday - never seen this buck before. You just never know!

c115fa519134e945302863f047d14f25f256a96b859fecd117fe7c8c126d20a5.0.JPG

Last edited:

BSK

I'll usually pic up one or two new older bucks right around the first few days of January each year. Why? I have no idea.

Ski

I'll usually pic up one or two new older bucks right around the first few days of January each year. Why? I have no idea.

I've always thought he's out scouting resources and taking inventory of viable does within his range. I see the same thing happen in late summer. Might be completely wrong on reasoning but never heard a more logical explanation. They have to learn their environment some how, and it's uncanny how an old buck seems to know exactly when to show up for an estrus doe or when a particular oak is dropping. My guess is it's these walk-abouts.

kaizen leader

I've always thought he's out scouting resources and taking inventory of viable does within his range. I see the same thing happen in late summer. Might be completely wrong on reasoning but never heard a more logical explanation. They have to learn their environment some how, and it's uncanny how an old buck seems to know exactly when to show up for an estrus doe or when a particular oak is dropping. My guess is it's these walk-abouts.
With a nose like a deer I think they stay in their turf until the doe(s) are ready and they can smell it miles away. Sort of like a buzzard.

Latest posts