Hunting vs road hunting

(In Tennessee)

Good grief.

Are we hunting?
Or, are we driving around in a vehicle, boat, or 4 wheeler, looking for deer, and then taking our gun and leaving the truck and getting within range of our quarry, only to pull the trigger and kill the animal.

The last statement, spotting an animal from a vehicle, grabbing our gun, and stalking within assassination distance, is simply KILLING, in my book. LEGAL OR NOT!!!

Hunting, to ME, is doing the homework.
Finding current (deer) patterns.

Hunting to me is understanding the deers pattern of movement at that particular time of day, and time of year.

And then knowing where to be, to intercept the deer on that movement pattern based on direction of travel and wind.

I've seen hunters begin the deer hunting challenge with a gun. It is difficult but it can be made more difficult as one matures as a hunter.

Generally I've seen the challenge escalate something like this:

*gun hunter on public land...any deer is a trophy! (and should be)

*gun hunter on private land...buck limitations (usually antler size)

*mostly bowhunter on leased land...any deer a trophy (and should be)

As kills become more common:

*bowhunter on private leased land...now targeting bigger bucks but usually do not pass up a (cull) buck

*serious bowhunter on private or public land who holds and patterns a particular buck.

*serious bowhunter on any land that has been there, done that, and is now enjoying hunting anywhere, anytime, with EVERYONE (especially family and friends) and will be happy killing anything legal, as long as it was a perfect shot.

It is an art.
It is a SKILL.
It takes many YEARS to learn how to be effective and consistent.

Riding around in a vehicle and happening upon a deer in a field, and then getting out of the vehicle and shooting it at any distance takes very little skill.

Good grief...call it what it is...shooting a cow in a field.

If it is legal, and it makes you happy, good for you.

But, it is NOT what I call hunting.

Just my opinion.

rukiddin

Property 1: Bob the hunter has a property with a field. He has put in hours of scouting and strategically puts a box stand overlooking field with a food plot he has planted. The box stand has a nice comfortable chair and a heater for those cold days. He did his homework and is successful "hunting" from the stand taking whatever deer that constitutes success in his mind.

Property 2: Joe hunter has a private farm that is actively farmed and has crops planted in the fields. The layout of property 1 is osimilar to property 1. Joe hunter may not necessarily have the woodsman ship skills as bob and has not scouted to the extent of what bob has. He does not have the time nor the money to build a box stand in time for hunting season so he parks his truck where he decided a box stand would be best utilized. He is successful "hunting" from the truck by taking whatever deer constitutes success in his mind.

Joe hunter is considered a "poacher" and Bob the hunter is considered a true bonafied deer hunter.

I don't have a problem involving the ethics behind either of those two scenarios. I do have a problem with the logic behind setting the rules that makes one legal, and one not.............

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
The Ford Sneak is a proven way to burn gas.

It's a sign of the times as America grows larger, lazier and less apt to learn hunting skills and woodsmanship.

I guess if you get into trouble you can always text or google your way out of a jam.

Frankly, it's out of control and the TV freak shows that show alot of shooting help the cause.......notice i said shooting shows, not hunting shows.

CAW

MC, let me ask you this...

Let's say a hunter is walking to his stand. He is 1/4 mile from is truck but still several hundred yards from his tree. He sees a really nice buck up ahead in the woods and puts on a stalk. He successfully gets in range and kills the deer with one shot (bow or gun). This deer was not patterned and the hunter had no understanding of why he would even be where he came across the deer, it was just by chance. Is that hunting?

Shed Hunter

CAW said:

Let's say a hunter is walking to his stand. He is 1/4 mile from is truck but still several hundred yards from his tree. He sees a really nice buck up ahead in the woods and puts on a stalk. He successfully gets in range and kills the deer with one shot (bow or gun). This deer was not patterned and the hunter had no understanding of why he would even be where he came across the deer, it was just by chance. Is that hunting?

I don't understand why you are asking me that as my first post had absolutely nothing to do with the point of your question. Instead I was just pointing out the use of "gun hunter" "bow hunter" "serious" bow hunter which really isn't a big deal. I just kinda found it funny.

Your question is a good one though, and I'll certainly share my opinion.

Yes, the given circumstances would be hunting. Why? If hunting must require patterning and targeting your animal, then is it hunting to kill a random buck that was just passing through chasing a doe (gun, bow, stick, whatever?) Should we start letting those deer walk because they aren't a challenging kill?

CAW, you have very good hunting property. Are you less of a hunter than a man sitting on a WMA? You have a lot of deer to pick from. It isn't very hard for you to leave the pressure low and kill at least one good buck a year. It'd sure be easier than killing one on public land. Are you hunting?

Now everyone tell me.. Is walking to your stand and killing a deer 100% by chance not hunting simply because it was an easier kill?

THe great thing about all this discussion is...hunting success, trophies, etc...is a persoanl choice.

All in the eyes of the DOER!!!

I am glad not everyone feels as I do. THe last thing I want is for EVERYONE to bowhunt!!!

It is JUST my opinion.

CAW...personally for me, I am very ENVIOUS of your opportunities!!!

CAW

Master Chief said:
CAW said:

I don't understand why you are asking me that as my first post had absolutely nothing to do with the point of your question. Instead I was just pointing out the use of "gun hunter" "bow hunter" "serious" bow hunter which really isn't a big deal. I just kinda found it funny.

Yes, the given circumstances would be hunting. Why? If hunting must require patterning and targeting your animal, then is it hunting to kill a random buck that was just passing through chasing a doe (gun, bow, stick, whatever?) Should we start letting those deer walk because they aren't a challenging kill?

CAW, you have very good hunting property. Are you less of a hunter than a man sitting on a WMA? You have a lot of deer to pick from. It isn't very hard for you to leave the pressure low and kill at least one good buck a year. It'd sure be easier than killing one on public land. Are you hunting?

Now everyone tell me.. Is walking to your stand and killing a deer 100% by chance not hunting simply because it was an easier kill?

I just wanted to make a point that there are multiple ways of killing a deer. There is not much difference in the scenario I described and the scenario you described and then referred to as "not hunting", "killing" or "shooting a cow in a field".

Regardless of our preferred methods, I think we should support all legal methods of hunting. Everybody has their own style. And for what it's worth, I'm like you. I would much rather set up a stand and use my knowledge of the property to take a specific deer. Last season I had multiple opportunities to take deer going to and from my stand but it just didn't do anything for me, so I passed.

And to answer your question - Yes, there are multiple scenarios where the level of skill required to kill an animal varies greatly. Hunting public land with lots of pressure is probably the toughest hunting there is. I did it for over 20 years so I know first hand how tough it is. It most certainly makes you a better hunter and for me, it made me appreciate private land and the opportunities that come with it. Hunting private land can be down right EASY compared to public land hunting, but I would still call it hunting. Not "killing" or "shooting a cow in a field".

Now, if you want to discuss fenced in enclosures, that is an entirely different conversation regarding skill depending on the size of the enclosure. But I would still support anyone that wants to do it legally. It's not for me, but I would never put someone down for doing it.

It just sounded like you were saying the only method of hunting was your preferred style and I disagree with that. I'm not for illegal road hunting by any means, but I do disagree with the law mentioned in the other thread where simply seeing an animal on your land upon arrival in your vehicle disqualified you from hunting that animal. If my 11 year old son saw a nice buck as we pulled up to our gate and wanted to attempt a stalk, It would be very difficult for me to tell him know. And if he was successful, I would most certainly call it a hunt.

Maybe I took your original post the wrong way. If so, my bad.

Shed Hunter

CAW said:
Master Chief said:
CAW said:

I just wanted to make a point that there are multiple ways of killing a deer. There is not much difference in the scenario I described and the scenario you described and then referred to as "not hunting", "killing" or "shooting a cow in a field".

Regardless of our preferred methods, I think we should support all legal methods of hunting. Everybody has their own style. And for what it's worth, I'm like you. I would much rather set up a stand and use my knowledge of the property to take a specific deer. Last season I had multiple opportunities to take deer going to and from my stand but it just didn't do anything for me, so I passed.

And to answer your question - Yes, there are multiple scenarios where the level of skill required to kill an animal varies greatly. Hunting public land with lots of pressure is probably the toughest hunting there is. I did it for over 20 years so I know first hand how tough it is. It most certainly makes you a better hunter and for me, it made me appreciate private land and the opportunities that come with it. Hunting private land can be down right EASY compared to public land hunting, but I would still call it hunting. Not "killing" or "shooting a cow in a field".

Now, if you want to discuss fenced in enclosures, that is an entirely different conversation regarding skill depending on the size of the enclosure. But I would still support anyone that wants to do it legally. It's not for me, but I would never put someone down for doing it.

It just sounded like you were saying the only method of hunting was your preferred style and I disagree with that. I'm not for illegal road hunting by any means, but I do disagree with the law mentioned in the other thread where simply seeing an animal on your land upon arrival in your vehicle disqualified you from hunting that animal. If my 11 year old son saw a nice buck as we pulled up to our gate and wanted to attempt a stalk, It would be very difficult for me to tell him know. And if he was successful, I would most certainly call it a hunt.

Lol CAW I really don't get why you are saying this to me. I could not agree more with what you are saying. All my original post said was "you sure do like labels don't you" I really don't see what can be misinterpreted from that.

CAW

Master Chief said:
CAW said:
Master Chief said:
CAW said:

Lol CAW I really don't get why you are saying this to me. I could not agree more with what you are saying. All my original post said was "you sure do like labels don't you" I really don't see what can be misinterpreted from that.

Yep, I'm an idiot. You are correct! I just went back and re-read the thread. I thought you had posted that original post for some reason when it was 102! You and I are on the same page with our thoughts. My bad, I apologize.

I'll re-direct to 102...

Winchester

That's the great thing about HUNTING, its all in what YOU make it!!! Choices really are a GREAT thing! I almost enjoy the scouting and piecing the puzzle together in preparation more than the actual kill, notice I said almost!

Good grief CAW...
you blew that one BAD.

I was really in the mood to pick on you when I made the original. I thought you actually meant to direct that at me...but I enjoyed watching you two lock horns so much I just could not send you the PM.

I will get back to you farm, road, gun hunter...got some stuff going on right now. Be patient "easy private property deer killer".

CAW said:

ABSOLUTELY YES. But it is a different style of hunting.

Let me explain oh lead slinger!

I am not a big advocate of deer drives. I really do not enjoy participating in these.

But then, I am not big on gun hunting either.

Still...to mix things up every once in a while, and to make things interesting, I will participate in both deer drives, and or gun hunting.

Hey, it is different, and sometimes different is fun.

Do I think it took as much skill for ME to kill that deer (even a huge, old, buck) with that gun or after being pushed by drivers past my stand?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

In fact, I get very little satisfaction out of it.

But do I think that makes anyone else less skilled because they do this activity?

WHO KNOWS??? WHO CARES???
As long as it is legal, and they are participating in the sport we all love...I say have at it.

Besides, why does ANYONE care how good of a hunter this person or that person is...unless they are TEACHING.

I REPEAT!

102 said:
THe great thing about all this discussion is...hunting success, trophies, etc...is a persoanl choice.

All in the eyes of the DOER!!!

I am glad not everyone feels as I do. THe last thing I want is for EVERYONE to bowhunt!!!

It is JUST my opinion.

CAW...personally for me, I am very ENVIOUS of your opportunities!!!

Shed Hunter

102 said:
CAW said:

As long as it is legal, and they are participating in the sport we all love...I say have at it.

Besides, why does ANYONE care how good of a hunter this person or that person is...unless they are TEACHING.
This is the only sensible part of your post.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to say it 102, but I honestly don't think anyone cares that you're a "serious bowhunter." You insult CAW by calling him a lead slinger.. just another one of your silly attempts to degrade gun hunters. You post garbage like this all of the time. We don't care if you don't like gun hunting.

Anyone can see that you are directly trying to imply that bow hunters are better. Give Peyton Manning a flat football. Does that change his overall skill? I know guys that only hunt with a gun that are probably more skilled hunters than most of the big headed bow hunters out there. What weapon you use doesn't meam anything.

CAW

I think I have made my point with all of this, even if I did screw up and direct it to the wrong person.

The style, method, weapon, etc. should not matter to anyone. We are all in this together. Me personally, I don't gun hunt anymore. That doesn't mean I am opposed to it and I may start up again at any time. My kids hunt with a gun and I love it.

All this clique stuff is ridiculous. The weapon a hunter uses doesn't make any more difference to me than the kind of shoes or clothes they choose to wear. I graduated high school a long time ago. None of that stuff mattered to me back then and sure as hell doesn't matter to me now.

Barnes Ridge Rambler

Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

This is the only sensible part of your post.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to say it 102, but I honestly don't think anyone cares that you're a "serious bowhunter." You insult CAW by calling him a lead slinger.. just another one of your silly attempts to degrade gun hunters. You post garbage like this all of the time. We don't care if you don't like gun hunting.

Anyone can see that you are directly trying to imply that bow hunters are better. Give Peyton Manning a flat football. Does that change his overall skill? I know guys that only hunt with a gun that are probably more skilled hunters than most of the big headed bow hunters out there. What weapon you use doesn't meam anything.

X2. I enjoy each season as they come. I love bow hunting. But come late October, im getting fired up for muzzleloader. The last week of muzzleloader im getting ready for rifle. Its all special to me and it all excites me. Its not always about the kill, but im not going to be the guy sitting there in December with a bow in my hand and a buck at 100 yards kicking myself for not having my rifle.