Hunting vs road hunting

Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:
MC, let me ask you this...

Let's say a hunter is walking to his stand. He is 1/4 mile from is truck but still several hundred yards from his tree. He sees a really nice buck up ahead in the woods and puts on a stalk. He successfully gets in range and kills the deer with one shot (bow or gun). This deer was not patterned and the hunter had no understanding of why he would even be where he came across the deer, it was just by chance. Is that hunting?
WHO KNOWS??? WHO CARES???
As long as it is legal, and they are participating in the sport we all love...I say have at it.

Besides, why does ANYONE care how good of a hunter this person or that person is...unless they are TEACHING.
This is the only sensible part of your post.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to say it 102, but I honestly don't think anyone cares that you're a "serious bowhunter." You insult CAW by calling him a lead slinger.. just another one of your silly attempts to degrade gun hunters. You post garbage like this all of the time. We don't care if you don't like gun hunting.

Anyone can see that you are directly trying to imply that bow hunters are better. Give Peyton Manning a flat football. Does that change his overall skill? I know guys that only hunt with a gun that are probably more skilled hunters than most of the big headed bow hunters out there. What weapon you use doesn't meam anything.

Stepped on a toe did I lead slinger?

Too funny.

BTW, I do think I am a better hunter than you!

Shed Hunter

102 said:
Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

Let's say a hunter is walking to his stand. He is 1/4 mile from is truck but still several hundred yards from his tree. He sees a really nice buck up ahead in the woods and puts on a stalk. He successfully gets in range and kills the deer with one shot (bow or gun). This deer was not patterned and the hunter had no understanding of why he would even be where he came across the deer, it was just by chance. Is that hunting?
As long as it is legal, and they are participating in the sport we all love...I say have at it.

Besides, why does ANYONE care how good of a hunter this person or that person is...unless they are TEACHING.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to say it 102, but I honestly don't think anyone cares that you're a "serious bowhunter." You insult CAW by calling him a lead slinger.. just another one of your silly attempts to degrade gun hunters. You post garbage like this all of the time. We don't care if you don't like gun hunting.

Anyone can see that you are directly trying to imply that bow hunters are better. Give Peyton Manning a flat football. Does that change his overall skill? I know guys that only hunt with a gun that are probably more skilled hunters than most of the big headed bow hunters out there. What weapon you use doesn't meam anything.

Too funny.

You don't even know me lol. I'm an 18 year old kid. If I'm not mistaken, your better days are behind you. You should be a better hunter than I am. How good I am at hunting means little to nothing to me. I'm pretty dang good at what I like doing though.. learning about deer.

You haven't stepped on my toe either. You've stepped on your own by making a fool of yourself.

Barnes Ridge Rambler

102 said:
Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

Too funny.

Two things - First, that post makes you sound like a D Bag.

And second. ...well I think the first covered it rather well.

CAW

102 said:
Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

Too funny.

102, I have a very simple question for you. Why do you possess such a strong desire to put others down?

Nealmeally

This thread makes me wanna go do man drives all day and sling lead!!! :grin:

You in CAW??? I'll provide the lead.... You can come too Master Chief..

CAW

Nealmeally said:
This thread makes me wanna go do man drives all day and sling lead!!! :grin:

You in CAW??? I'll provide the lead.... You can come too Master Chief..

Sign me up!

102 said:
(In Tennessee)

Good grief.

Are we hunting?
Or, are we driving around in a vehicle, boat, or 4 wheeler, looking for deer, and then taking our gun and leaving the truck and getting within range of our quarry, only to pull the trigger and kill the animal.

The last statement, spotting an animal from a vehicle, grabbing our gun, and stalking within assassination distance, is simply KILLING, in my book. LEGAL OR NOT!!!

Hunting, to ME, is doing the homework.
Finding current (deer) patterns.

Hunting to me is understanding the deers pattern of movement at that particular time of day, and time of year.

And then knowing where to be, to intercept the deer on that movement pattern based on direction of travel and wind.

I've seen hunters begin the deer hunting challenge with a gun. It is difficult but it can be made more difficult as one matures as a hunter.

Generally I've seen the challenge escalate something like this:

*gun hunter on public land...any deer is a trophy! (and should be)

*gun hunter on private land...buck limitations (usually antler size)

*mostly bowhunter on leased land...any deer a trophy (and should be)

As kills become more common:

*bowhunter on private leased land...now targeting bigger bucks but usually do not pass up a (cull) buck

*serious bowhunter on private or public land who holds and patterns a particular buck.

*serious bowhunter on any land that has been there, done that, and is now enjoying hunting anywhere, anytime, with EVERYONE (especially family and friends) and will be happy killing anything legal, as long as it was a perfect shot.

It is an art.
It is a SKILL.
It takes many YEARS to learn how to be effective and consistent.

Riding around in a vehicle and happening upon a deer in a field, and then getting out of the vehicle and shooting it at any distance takes very little skill.

Good grief...call it what it is...shooting a cow in a field.

If it is legal, and it makes you happy, good for you.

But, it is NOT what I call hunting.

Just my opinion.

I posted IMO...and apparently OFFENDED some hunters who make a habit of riding around on vehicles, trucks, cars, SUV's, spot a deer, and then stalk it, shoot it with a gun, and then are proud of it.

IN MY OPINION, that is NOT hunting.

And if you do not like it, why do you care???

And if it is NOT a "habit", then it is simply luck. And there is nothing wrong with a little luck. For this hunter, I have no issue (as long as it is legal). If you hunt long enough, and kill enough, it will probably happen.

CAW said:
102 said:
Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

Too funny.

102, I have a very simple question for you. Why do you possess such a strong desire to put others down?

CAW...please show me where, I put anyone down except for road hunters???

CAW

102 said:
CAW said:
102 said:
Master Chief said:
102 said:
CAW said:

Too funny.

CAW...please show me where, I put anyone down except for road hunters???

Seriously?

Go back and re-read your comments. If you can't see how badly they make you look, then it is doubtful that I, or anyone else, can cite anything to you that is going to make any difference one way or the other.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Join my protest group: BAN ALL COVERT CAMERAS. Of course, we also oppose shooting houses, box blinds, salt blocks, any type of call.

Our goal is to totally eliminate anything that makes hunting easy and eliminates scouting and woodsmanship.

CAW

Hunter 257W said:
Yep, a man ought to have to hunt buck naked with nothing more than a machette. :) That ought to make it sporting enough to suit ANYBODY's taste.

Wait, is that a sharp machette or a dull machette? :grin:

MUP

bowriter said:
Join my protest group: BAN ALL COVERT CAMERAS. Of course, we also oppose shooting houses, box blinds, salt blocks, any type of call.

Our goal is to totally eliminate anything that makes hunting easy and eliminates scouting and woodsmanship.

Hey, you're not dissin' the Trophy Rock now are ye? :grin:

CAW...
read bowriters post.

You guys all are taking this too seriously.

Bowhunters are better than gun hunters. PERIOD.

ANYONE is better thatn a road hunter!

And spearhunters are better than bowhunters.

Machete hunters, especially DULL machete hunters, are the BEST.

Except for Atlatal hunters who are in a class all by themselves.

102 said:
(In Tennessee)

Good grief.

Are we hunting?
Or, are we driving around in a vehicle, boat, or 4 wheeler, looking for deer, and then taking our gun and leaving the truck and getting within range of our quarry, only to pull the trigger and kill the animal.

The last statement, spotting an animal from a vehicle, grabbing our gun, and stalking within assassination distance, is simply KILLING, in my book. LEGAL OR NOT!!!

Hunting, to ME, is doing the homework.
Finding current (deer) patterns.

Hunting to me is understanding the deers pattern of movement at that particular time of day, and time of year.

And then knowing where to be, to intercept the deer on that movement pattern based on direction of travel and wind.

I've seen hunters begin the deer hunting challenge with a gun. It is difficult but it can be made more difficult as one matures as a hunter.

Generally I've seen the challenge escalate something like this:

*gun hunter on public land...any deer is a trophy! (and should be)

*gun hunter on private land...buck limitations (usually antler size)

*mostly bowhunter on leased land...any deer a trophy (and should be)

As kills become more common:

*bowhunter on private leased land...now targeting bigger bucks but usually do not pass up a (cull) buck

*serious bowhunter on private or public land who holds and patterns a particular buck.

*serious bowhunter on any land that has been there, done that, and is now enjoying hunting anywhere, anytime, with EVERYONE (especially family and friends) and will be happy killing anything legal, as long as it was a perfect shot.

It is an art.
It is a SKILL.
It takes many YEARS to learn how to be effective and consistent.

Riding around in a vehicle and happening upon a deer in a field, and then getting out of the vehicle and shooting it at any distance takes very little skill.

Good grief...call it what it is...shooting a cow in a field.

If it is legal, and it makes you happy, good for you.

But, it is NOT what I call hunting.

Just my opinion.

AGAIN...
My original post.

Hope I did not step on toes.

It was a spin off post from some other threads.
It was all IMO..

THen, CAW and Master chief got into it.

I guess I like labels...or not!

But I do NOT like road hunters.

AT ALL!!!

Also...I do not like ILLEGAL hunters.

CAW...I re-read all of this, and still do not see where I slammed anyone specifically. Unless someone has very THIN SKIN.

And around this camp fire, they better have THICK skin!!!

(you ole' "lead slinger") ((poke-poke...stir-stir))

Latest posts