Hunting in a CWD world

megalomaniac

So...

Have recreational land values decreased any in the hot zone? I assumed they would when this broke a few years ago, but this has been a crazy land market the past couple years.

easy45

So...

Have recreational land values decreased any in the hot zone? I assumed they would when this broke a few years ago, but this has been a crazy land market the past couple years.
Nope, my lease actually went up and it is dead in the middle of what is considered the epicenter.

Spurhunter

This is a complex issue. Like most of us, I was raised to eat what I kill. I don't want to eat a deer I know is positive, although I'm sure it wouldn't be the first. I have a problem with cutting out the backstraps then throwing the deer in a hole, but not many people have a walk in cooler to hang a deer for 2 and 1/2 weeks waiting for a test result. You can quarter them up and put them in a cooler, but for 2 or 3 weeks? The easy answer is we need faster test results, but that's out of our control. For the guys that don't mind eating CWD positive meat or prefer not to know, the answer is easy. For those of us that hunt near the hot zone and don't want to eat CWD positive, or unknown meat, not so much. Looking at another angle, I hunt in MS also. There have never been any CWD positives where I hunt. But I don't know if there's ever been a deer tested. There seems to be more questions than answers.

Boll Weevil

Pre-pandemic I might get an unsolicited inquiry from an entity or broker looking to buy maybe once but certainly no more than twice a year. Now it's 4-5 times that. Real estate agents, land brokers, auctioneers, heck the solar farm folks call now.

It's insane what recent comps are compared to 2 years ago much less a decade or more.

Spurhunter

Pre-pandemic I might get an unsolicited inquiry from an entity or broker looking to buy maybe once but certainly no more than twice a year. Now it's 4-5 times that. Real estate agents, land brokers, auctioneers, heck the solar farm folks call now.

It's insane what recent comps are compared to 2 years ago much less a decade or more.
Same here. I get offers by mail every week on my little 20 acres near Hornsby. And they seem to get higher all the time. The last one I got was tempting.

Last edited:

BigAl

Around some places its only going to get worse with the Ford plant coming in.

AlabamaSwamper

Just returned from my yearly Nebraska trip

In a positive county for years

Not a word about it. Deer everywhere. Physical check in for every deer with DNR at a check station and never asked to test.

I'm sure they are testing somewhere but they never offered. Heard some about EHD in pockets. Brain worm or something still in mule deer.

Elk are still increasing. Had one big bull and two cows where we hunted.

Mountain lions are a concern there. CWD never mentioned by anyone

timberjack86

Just returned from my yearly Nebraska trip

In a positive county for years

Not a word about it. Deer everywhere. Physical check in for every deer with DNR at a check station and never asked to test.

I'm sure they are testing somewhere but they never offered. Heard some about EHD in pockets. Brain worm or something still in mule deer.

Elk are still increasing. Had one big bull and two cows where we hunted.

Mountain lions are a concern there. CWD never mentioned by anyone
My buddy has hunted out there for years and said nobody tests for it. He said the guys he hunts with looked at him like he was crazy deboning all the meat he brought home.

tnanh

Mostly because people have consumed untold numbers of deer and elk with CWD in the US for at least the last 60 years (whether they knew it or not) and to date there have been no reported cases of CWD in humans. None. Does that mean there will never be a case? Of course not...never say never.

Personally, my conscience could scarcely rest easy killing deer and then discarding the meat.
My concern is has there never been a case because humans havent contracted cwd or because doctors haven't tested for it? Covid wasn't diagnosed in dec 2019 and Jan 2020 but it was because they weren't testing for it.

tnanh

Sure let's kill em all. The sky is falling. If they had done that out west nobody would be going elk hunting anymore, or deer hunting in Texas. Do you and your group kill every elk you see out west because they have to be killed?
Exactly. There is no cold hard truth. Support TWRA to no end and there will not be a huntable
Population left.

BDS05

"No other choice"? You had a choice to shoot the deer or not. You knew the protocol you were going to follow and you probably knew it wouldn't happen in a timely manner. IMO you made a terrible "choice". I can't find the words I feel.. "Wanton" to be the most civil I suppose.

Latest posts