How many over 60, still mostly hunt alone?

Jon54

65 and the victim of a treestand accident 2 years ago. I was lucky to hobble our on a fractured leg/ankle. There was no cell service there. Since, the thought of surgery and 5 months of rehab takes the joy of hunting away.

BULL MOOSE

Jon54":aevrxs0e said:
65 and the victim of a treestand accident 2 years ago. I was lucky to hobble our on a fractured leg/ankle. There was no cell service there. Since, the thought of surgery and 5 months of rehab takes the joy of hunting away.

Just stay on the ground! Climbing trees is overrated.

Jon54

Just stay on the ground! Climbing trees is overrated.[/quote]

Yea, but I'm still driving 2 hours alone there and back.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I am 66 and hunted alone until I was 48. Still hunt alone some and use a climbing tree stand. That said I now feel much better about hunting when I hunt with some who knows were I will be and will come looking for me if I do not show up back at the truck.

gunrunner

I am 70 and still hunt alone.I have to drive in past my friends house that I lease from.He knows when I am hunting and knows to check on me if I am not out in a reasonable time.The only problem I have had so far is loading a deer onto the carrier on my jeep.As Mark Twain said "I ain't the man I used to be,I never was."

scn

66 and all of my TN deer and turkey hunting is alone. I do camp in an area with some other folks that likely would notice if I didn't show back up after dark, but, I'm pretty much on my on in some fairly rugged territory.

I've been fortunate for several years to have some other folks on my out of state trips. But, this year, I was by myself up there as well. I'm pretty close with my landowner, so he was checking on me at dark thirty if I hadn't texted him I was down and out. I made sure to drop him a text before every hunt on what farm and where I would be in case something did happen.

There are pluses and minuses to both. I enjoy the freedom to stay longer or leave earlier when I am by myself without worrying about someone else. But, it does tend to make me think before I shoot one about getting it out by myself. I've done a bunch by myself over the years, but more and more are getting a free pass now unless the drag is going to be relatively easy.

tellico4x4

4 of us been at camp all week & probably all next week too. Ages range from 64-67 plus we have a 71 yr old that shows up every other day. Normal day for us is in stand by daylight, back at camp for lunch around 11:30 & head back out at 1:30. Think I've hunted 15 out of last 18 days.

Another 65 yr old & I guided my 35 yr old nephew & his buddy for archery elk this year. Packed in on horses 11 miles for 12 days, all DIY.

If I go out hunting, I'll go out happy!!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RobDooley

I'm sixty-three (63) and hunt alone for the biggest part of the season. I do get to hunt with others on lease for a week or so. Not sure how many trips I've made to Hickman County from Chattanooga. Sometimes it gets pretty dang lonely. Also, I have been fishing Chickamauga Lake for thirteen (13) years solo.

JJ3

I've got a couple of years before 60. I hunt most often with my daughter who's been my hunting buddy the last 17 years or so. We usually sit in our own stands. It sure is easier getting a deer loaded on the 4 wheeler when there are 2 of us, although nice bucks are still a struggle. I hunt solo when I get thr chance (eg. she's working). I would definitely struggle to get a 3.5 year buck loaded up. I usually use ladder stands or sit on ground. Haven't used my climber in a few years— especially when I am our by myself.

fairchaser

tellico4x4":14p1q9ft said:
4 of us been at camp all week & probably all next week too. Ages range from 64-67 plus we have a 71 yr old that shows up every other day. Normal day for us is in stand by daylight, back at camp for lunch around 11:30 & head back out at 1:30. Think I've hunted 15 out of last 18 days.

Another 65 yr old & I guided my 35 yr old nephew & his buddy for archery elk this year. Packed in on horses 11 miles for 12 days, all DIY.

If I go out hunting, I'll go out happy!!

Your an inspiration tellico. Just goes to show that if you stay fit and have a can do spirit, there is no age limit. Good for you!

tellico4x4

Thanks, it is a true passion & have been blessed to have hunted 22 states in past 59 yrs. Two of the guys in camp with me now have been my hunting & fishing buddies for over 40 yrs.

calledin2tn

59 and I'm not hunting near as much due to going alone. Retired 2 years ago and boy thought I was gonna set the woods on fire ...... wrong! Thinking about giving it up. Or joining a hunting club.

fairchaser

calledin2tn":1rw4e08v said:
59 and I'm not hunting near as much due to going alone. Retired 2 years ago and boy thought I was gonna set the woods on fire ...... wrong! Thinking about giving it up. Or joining a hunting club.

The older we get, it's more about sharing the experience than killing something.

bowhunt25

fairchaser":gm6yaunq said:
The thread about hunters over 50 still using a climber got me thinking about hunting alone. I'm over 60 and still occasionally hunt alone. What I mean is getting up and going without a buddy to meet with and then go separate ways to your stand. Somebody to share the experience with and get help from if needed. I always sit by myself.

As I sit here this morning, it's a perfect day, in the heat of the rut, and I'm wondering why I didn't go. I still have the drive but it's tempered more than before. I like to have someone there to share the experience and to have as a backup.

Fairchaser-
I grew hunting with family and some friends thru the years, I am now in my 50's and hunt 85% alone. I no longer have very many people around to enjoy the experience with. That said, I have learned to enjoy my solace and enjoy the serenity around me in the woods. I hunted 63 individual days this year and of those I believe only had a guest 10 of those hunts. I do get what your saying about sharing the experience.....

Headhunter

i hunt alone a lot. I am 54, I still hang and hunt from lock ons as high as 40 feet. As far as height goes, I hunt from the height that fits each situation, even if that means the ground. I hunt from my climber and lock on.

I own 5 ladder stands and they are all in use, I never hunt from them though, I just don't like ladder stands.