How many more years of deer hunting do you have left?

Speedwell-Hunter

I'm 62 right now. My Dad passed in April at 93. He said to me that after 80 years old quality of life nosedives dramatically. It's when he stopped hunting. He started turkey hunting late in life. I called in a Jake for him for his first bird when he was 72, then at 78 he called and shot this one in on his own. He was so proud that he was able to accomplish that. I think like most of us on here we will try and go as long as possible, God willing!
This moved me hard. Thx for sharing

Speedwell-Hunter

The sad to me reality now is,
there are very few avid, lifetime hunters coming along like JCDEERMAN (and younger).
And even he's pushing 40!

So what's the average age of the TN deer hunter now?
55? 60?

I'm afraid we're dying out faster than young lifetime hunters can be recruited.

Just generally speaking, most of today's young or new hunters are not become lifetime hunters.

There's a huge difference in the passion many of us have had for hunting,
and the lack of that lifetime passion with those replacing us.
Most will only stick their toe in it, do it a few times over a few years,
then spend more of their life doing a myriad of other things in their free time.
Its extremely expensive

TNReb

Unless my kids get interested in it, I'm mostly done. I'll still go a couple days a year, but I just don't get anything out of actually killing one nowdays.

OldGoat68

I'll keep at it long as i can and long as the desire is still there. But i've hit 61 and got hit by Fauci flu twice and have def slowed down . Not going by myself like i did in the glory days. We'll hunt deer until waterfowl season starts and then it's off to Arkansas. But get to spend it with family and friends so i'm ok with that.

Texan11285

My hunting partner (son) from years ago, graduated from college and got a job. Married a purty girl from Tennessee and now I am the grandpa to a beautifgl grand daughter. Retired last June at 66 and moved up here to not only to be closer to them but to be able to hunt with my son some more. Those campfires just weren't the same and I missed his company. We have chased deer across Texas and elk in Colorado and Montana. Good Lord willing we will be able to hunt till they through clay in my face. Like an old guy said, "Hunt all you can, you will run out of health before you run out of money".

Last edited:

Ski

At 70, I still have the desire but after losing my last piece of private land to deer hunt, I'm likely done. I have no will to fight the public land bunch and with arthritis in my hips and hereditary hemochromatosis it makes it hard to hunt by myself. Coming up I always seemed to be the young guy and about all of my hunting buddies were considerably older than me. Well, most now are simply too old to hunt or have crossed over the river to rest in the shade of the trees. The wife and I still like venison so we might be depending on a little charity to get some. With that said, I'm blessed beyond measure and cherish the many memories of the hunt over the last 50 or so years.

I've got plenty in the freezer if you'd like some. I'm just north of Manchester and am up in the boro pretty often. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to drop off a couple packs of meat & a summer sausage if you'd like.

BigAl

Did I already comment on this thread? :D
I'm 57. My plan is to keep trying as long as I can. My goal is to retire in 3 years and I want to be able to just get up and go hunt when I feel like it, when the weather is favorable, or put in a lot of hours during the rut, which work now prevents me from doing.
CWD isn't helping my desire to hunt, that's for sure.

CliffordN

At 73, I may not be the oldest person who responds here. But I have to evaluate things every year to see what I can do. When Fall arrives the stirring inside begins, and I think about chasing them as I always have. Then I remember that it is not as easy as it used to be.
A couple of years back, I gave up climbing stands. I didn't even try a lock on this year, but sat on a ladder stand just long enough to kill one that slipped out of a thicket after a hot doe. The rest of the season found me on a Millennium tree seat about 15 inches off the ground.
I missed a lot of days because I was concerned about hunting alone, dragging one out, and loading it in the truck. But, in the end, I had a great time.
I will go again this year, if the good Lord grants me the time, and my health. But how and when will be decided at that time.
And, I truly hope that I can still enjoy the experience for many more years.

Bfields

I have enjoyed the stories on this post I too an getting up there in years I be 58 this year I wonder how many more year God will bless me I still hunt some alone an harvested two bucks alone an pulled them out of these east tn mountains it was tough it took me alot longer to get them to the truck but I tried to hunt smarter I tried to find places on public land where no one hunts an closer to road I still can use climbers but have brought alot of ladderstands im going deaf an it causes me to get very dizzy anymore an sometimes I really struggle I have a group of guys I hunt with that are close to my age an we work together when we can to place the stands an help get out the deer last yr my friend from va came to catoosa the 4 of us was a mile in there but we got his buck out we do alot of the sport we love God has blessed me with 75 deer about 90% has been on public mountains lands im thankful he has gave me such a passion an love for the outdoors

TheLBLman

Was just thinking about something:

Younger people are more internet & computer savvy than most us older folks.
Probably more likely to be "involved" in any type of internet "forum" of their interests?

Most posters on this forum appear to be over 50? Over 60?
And seems very few under 40?

BSK

Probably more likely to be "involved" in any type of internet "forum" of their interests?

I believe there are more young people who deer hunt than you think. But from what I've seen, they aren't "eat up" with it like we older guys are. It's just "another interest" of theirs. Not a passion like it is for us. In fact, I think you could call it a lifestyle for us. That is not the way the younger generation sees deer hunting anymore.

flyinpro

I just turned 66 and I've thought about that. Of my three sons only my youngest seems to want to hunt. I'm still in pretty good shape, planing to drop a few pounds but I still enjoy my summit climbers but, like ladder stands mostly. To me there's nothing like being in a stand at sun up! Love the pease and quite. NEVER hunt alone anymore & always wear a harness. Stay well.

Buzzard Breath

You've got a good point about younger people being more internet savvy. They are more involved in social media, just not forums. If you went and searched "deer hunting" on Instagram or Tik Tok, you would think old people no longer hunted because it's all younger hunters posting. Forums are going to slowly die out just like most blogs have.

Mescalero

You've got a good point about younger people being more internet savvy. They are more involved in social media, just not forums. If you went and searched "deer hunting" on Instagram or Tik Tok, you would think old people no longer hunted because it's all younger hunters posting. Forums are going to slowly die out just like most blogs have.
Yes, the 30 something's and younger don't go on internet chat forums like TNDeer. They don't even bother with Facebook.

DMD

I believe there are more young people who deer hunt than you think. But from what I've seen, they aren't "eat up" with it like we older guys are. It's just "another interest" of theirs. Not a passion like it is for us. In fact, I think you could call it a lifestyle for us. That is not the way the younger generation sees deer hunting anymore.
I've often wondered if living in the "good ole days" of deer hunting as we do now, where deer are so abundant, and we see them everywhere hasn't taken some of the "mystic" out of deer hunting for the younger generation. When I started hunting in the early 80's, you rarely saw one. To see tracks was a huge thing. Just killing any size buck was a huge excitement. Now, the mystic - the aura of it has dissipated to the point, it doesn't breed that same passion it did for those of who started when times weren't so great. I remember the first deer I killed, I was probably 19. Didn't have a clue what I was doing. By pure absolute luck I killed a little six month old spike. Me, my brother-in-law, and his brother thought we had slain Godzilla!! We strapped it on the hood and drove it out of the woods. I have never been so excited. A passion was birthed in my heart. It became my lifestyle, not just something I did - but, a part of who I am. Little did I know it would be a few years before I killed another deer - but that just made it all that much more enamoring!

BSK

I've often wondered if living in the "good ole days" of deer hunting as we do now, where deer are so abundant, and we see them everywhere hasn't taken some of the "mystic" out of deer hunting for the younger generation. When I started hunting in the early 80's, you rarely saw one. To see tracks was a huge thing. Just killing any size buck was a huge excitement. Now, the mystic - the aura of it has dissipated to the point, it doesn't breed that same passion it did for those of who started when times weren't so great. I remember the first deer I killed, I was probably 19. Didn't have a clue what I was doing. By pure absolute luck I killed a little six month old spike. Me, my brother-in-law, and his brother thought we had slain Godzilla!! We strapped it on the hood and drove it out of the woods. I have never been so excited. A passion was birthed in my heart. It became my lifestyle, not just something I did - but, a part of who I am. Little did I know it would be a few years before I killed another deer - but that just made it all that much more enamoring!
I think there is something to that. I remember how excited we were when we first got our property. We shot every buck we saw during the entire season, which would generally be one spike and one forkhorn! Now I see that in one sit.

Lost Lake

Good points.

Latest posts