How many more years of deer hunting do you have left?

tdt5446

Started when I was 11, my first hunt was in '63. I did not see a deer all season, but I did see tracks for the first time, so my hunt was successful and the fire was lit! I killed my first TN buck in '69, a trophy with antlers visible above the hairline, remember that regulation? In early '70, I received a letter from the TN Game and Fish Commission, congratulating me for being one of 2,000 plus (don't remember the exact number) successful deer hunter in TN that season! After that my hunting adventures began to be more fruitful, as the state's deer population began to explode to where we are today. Sadly, I have no idea how many I have harvested through the years, (I kept track of my archery kills, but nothing else).

I constantly read about deer, fantasized about them, dreamt of hunts in other states, and spent every penny I could on anything deer hunting! I am still broke from that. After countless hours of sitting around campfires, listening to hunters at checking stations, watching old and new hunting shows, and even becoming part of this campfire, it is refreshing to have become acquainted with people who love to chase what I consider to be the world's greatest game animal. I often wonder, do we really understand how blessed we truly are.

This past season marked my 6th decade of chasing these magnificent creatures, and like some of you, it also marked my decline of being able to hunt the way I used to. I have a storage building that has 15 or 20 lock-on stands and countless climbing sticks, as well as ladder stands and pop up blinds. Unfortunately, they will probably migrate to the dump soon.

The hills have gotten higher, the hollows have gotten deeper, the stamina is getting stagnant, and the breaths are getting quicker, but the desire still grows! Like some of you, I will hunt when I can (physically), be selective before I pull the trigger (I like to watch them too), and enjoy some backstrap from time to time. When my time comes and God calls me home, I hope I am sitting next to a big white oak, waiting on another big un. Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experiences with me!

DMD

I've Hunted since the 90s, just turned 70. On and off with Deer. But even though I have a great setup and nearby processing places I just don't have the desire to get out there. I do enjoy watching them in my yard though. If only the turkey population would ramp up - that I'd be in for. But I doubt that'll happen here in my lifetime.
You can have all my turkeys. Have tons of them on my leased property, nobody on the lease turkey hunts, and I have no desire to turkey hunt. Wish I could send you a few flocks. LOL!

RedDawg

I'm 63. Grew up in Minnesota listening to the occasional stories of how my dad used to hunt for sustenance in Montana to feed his wife and kids (I'm the youngest and we moved when I was 2). Did a lot of fishing with my dad there in Minnesota but the only hunting was a little bit of small game with friends. Dad had a small piece of rural property 30 miles north and one night at dinner I said, "I'm going up there and deer hunting this Saturday. Want to come with?" I was 17. Once he got over the shock, he said yes. My mom has since told me it was the best thing I ever did for him.

From that point forward it was hunting every year with a lot of bigger and better adventures like yearly antelope, mule deer and/or elk hunts for a few decades out west along with Minnesota deer hunting and then Tennessee deer hunting when I moved here 30+ years ago. Best times of my life.

The western trips stopped for dad when the heart medication and thin air prevented him from being able to breath well at elevation. We decided to use all that hunting money to buy our own little farm to secure a place to hunt locally and not rely on the kindness of other landowners. That was 2011.

Ladder stands and the occasional climber for me and a number of elevated blinds with stairs for him and we transformed the place. I got into food plotting and love working the land right outside my 140 year old cabin door. I retired and moved here in 2018. Mom and dad moved here from Arkansas that same year. Finally, living on and hunting our own land rather than driving here on weekends.

Middle of that first full hunting season they were living here, an old neck injury of my dad's reared up and he started losing feeling in his arms and fingers. Couldn't feel the trigger pull. I still remember just before Thanksgiving when he told me he was taking himself out of the game at 83. Didn't hunt the rest of the season and died the following April.

Four hunting seasons since then. Due to life's circumstance, I've never had kids. I do have a nephew or two that have hunted with me/us a few times and show interest but not passion. I hunted more this year than the last few. But now I'm getting into even more food plotting (these free deer cost a lot!) and am now running my first cell cameras out there. Just love the wildlife and knowing they're out there.

I'm looking at 2 knee replacements at this time so I'm slowed down with pain a lot right now. Before I could appreciate it, my dad used to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies." I remember my dad climbing mountains at 63. I'm feeling a little ashamed of myself.

How long can I go? How long will I go? I'm sitting on a bunch of WY preference points for another elk hunt. Get the knees done (dad had his done too). Upgrade some of the open shooting houses so a buddy heater actually does something and who knows. I hope to make at least 83.

2HUNT

I am 58 and started hunting with my dad when I was 8. By the time I was 10, he would take me to my spot and drop me off and proceed on to his spot. I love to deer hunt more than any other hobby, but my desire to go alone has dwindled. My hunting buddies have either moved off or quit hunting and my boys are starting to be busy with there own lives. I find myself going alone more and more; I enjoy hunting alone , but also miss the comradery. I have been building a cabin on our place to be able to spend more time there and hopefully be able to take my grandchildren if and when they come.
I still hunt from climbers, lock ons and ladder stands. I much prefer to be elevated and out in the open, but I also know that if I live long enough, I will have to transition to ground blinds and shooting houses. Until then, I will enjoy God's creation in whatever capacity he allows.

BigDog4Deer

For many of us who started when we were young, deer hunting is part of our lives. Some of us are so focused on it that it is the central part of our lives. But how often do we actually factor in how long we will be able to physically participate in this passion? Recently, with family members beginning to pass away from age-related issues, the hunting segment of my family began discussing how long are we going to be able to keep doing this. It was a sobering and somewhat depressing series of conversations. I'm the youngest of my family's "hunting generation" and I'm 60. I've been deer hunting since I was 17. How much longer am I going to be able to climb into a ladder stand? How much longer am I going to be able to move ladder stands? Will I be climbing into stands when I'm 85? Probably not. What have I got left in the hunting tank, maybe 15 to 20 years? That has caused us to reevaluate how we manage our hunting land.

So how many years do you think you have left in your deer hunting tank? Will you try to extend those years a little longer by changing how or where you hunt?
Its somewhat a little more of a challenge each season, I still climb with my Summit Stand and have used a ladder off and on, but a few years
Back I bought a Millenium seat that straps to the tree and is very comfortable! I am 71 now and like most you have hunting most of my life, my struggle
Is in selecting a place to set a stand so that I can get the deer out by my self ( although I use a 4 wheeler), I use to never worry about where I hunted
That wasn't a problem, but today, I take that in consideration! Once I got past 65 Each year is a little more of a physical challenge, I realize that hunting is some of the best medicine to keep me younger! Good luck to each of you and stay active , to keep your physical ability sharp!

270 Joe

For many of us who started when we were young, deer hunting is part of our lives. Some of us are so focused on it that it is the central part of our lives. But how often do we actually factor in how long we will be able to physically participate in this passion? Recently, with family members beginning to pass away from age-related issues, the hunting segment of my family began discussing how long are we going to be able to keep doing this. It was a sobering and somewhat depressing series of conversations. I'm the youngest of my family's "hunting generation" and I'm 60. I've been deer hunting since I was 17. How much longer am I going to be able to climb into a ladder stand? How much longer am I going to be able to move ladder stands? Will I be climbing into stands when I'm 85? Probably not. What have I got left in the hunting tank, maybe 15 to 20 years? That has caused us to reevaluate how we manage our hunting land.

So how many years do you think you have left in your deer hunting tank? Will you try to extend those years a little longer by changing how or where you hunt?

dr

I got my interest for hunting from Dad. Once I started going, I learned why he Loved it....

Attachments

• 20230120_090606.png
    20230120_090606.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Wrangler95

Started when I was 11, my first hunt was in '63. I did not see a deer all season, but I did see tracks for the first time, so my hunt was successful and the fire was lit! I killed my first TN buck in '69, a trophy with antlers visible above the hairline, remember that regulation? In early '70, I received a letter from the TN Game and Fish Commission, congratulating me for being one of 2,000 plus (don't remember the exact number) successful deer hunter in TN that season! After that my hunting adventures began to be more fruitful, as the state's deer population began to explode to where we are today. Sadly, I have no idea how many I have harvested through the years, (I kept track of my archery kills, but nothing else).

I constantly read about deer, fantasized about them, dreamt of hunts in other states, and spent every penny I could on anything deer hunting! I am still broke from that. After countless hours of sitting around campfires, listening to hunters at checking stations, watching old and new hunting shows, and even becoming part of this campfire, it is refreshing to have become acquainted with people who love to chase what I consider to be the world's greatest game animal. I often wonder, do we really understand how blessed we truly are.

This past season marked my 6th decade of chasing these magnificent creatures, and like some of you, it also marked my decline of being able to hunt the way I used to. I have a storage building that has 15 or 20 lock-on stands and countless climbing sticks, as well as ladder stands and pop up blinds. Unfortunately, they will probably migrate to the dump soon.

The hills have gotten higher, the hollows have gotten deeper, the stamina is getting stagnant, and the breaths are getting quicker, but the desire still grows! Like some of you, I will hunt when I can (physically), be selective before I pull the trigger (I like to watch them too), and enjoy some backstrap from time to time. When my time comes and God calls me home, I hope I am sitting next to a big white oak, waiting on another big un. Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experiences with me!
Great post,I'm 68 years old and like you I started deer hunting in 1967,I will hunt as long as I'm breathing!

270 Joe

I am 66, and 6 years ago I quit using my climber, Because in W.I. in late Nov. rifle season, its cold, I hunt public land, no heated deer tower, just relying on my clothing. After up in the tree all day, then climbing down, and kneeling down to pack out my stand, I couldn't stand up due to hyperthermia . I tried using my 30-30 as a crutch, but it was to short. Their was a big branch that I could reach with my foot and was able to get on my feet with it. So now I hunt with a ground blind. I also still hunt, it can take all day to cover maybe a half a mile.

TheLBLman

But even though I have a great setup and nearby processing places I just don't have the desire to get out there. I do enjoy watching them in my yard though.
Interestingly, a lack of nearby processing places has become another deterrent to deer hunting, especially for those wanting/needing to travel. My longtime favorite deer processor (Yoder Brothers in Henry County) shut its doors last year, and I found myself purposefully not killing deer simply because I either didn't have time to mess with them, or just didn't want to.

It's a shame when it's become illegal (in many TN counties) to cross county lines with a harvested deer. This alone has caused many to just quit deer hunting, and greatly devalued deer leases outside one's home county.

BSK

...my struggle is in selecting a place to set a stand so that I can get the deer out by myself (although I use a 4-wheeler), I use to never worry about where I hunted.
That wasn't a problem, but today, I take that in consideration!
I tell you what, I feel your pain! My place is all steep ridge-and-hollow terrain and getting a buck out of one of our "hollers" can be a back-breaking experience. In fact, I'm looking at hiring a bulldozer operator to open up a road along the bottom of every valley. Much easier to drag a buck down to a waiting ATV than to winch one up the hill (and we have had to use up to 250 feet of cable to winch a buck out of one of our hollers). Definitely not something that can be done by one person. Plus, having roads along the bottom of every valley would open up a lot of hunting locations no one is currently willing to hike too. The only downside is cost. I'm betting somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.

westtntoms

Going on 61….my hard desire started waning maybe 3 yrs ago. Add to that after my 3rd knee surgery this summer, my ability to use ladders and loc on's has pretty much gone. Man I used to love nothing more than getting in a tight spot loc on and sit all day. Seem relegated to using box/condo stands nowadays. Some days just walking in is tough. Fortunately I still enjoy sitting in that box 6-8 hours just watching. My nearby grandson has started hunting, I'll be out with him as long as possible.

rifle02

I'm 81 and still have the desire, just don't have the stamina and physical strength.
I was only able to make three hunts this season. I had to give up climbing stands around 7 or 8 years ago. I switched to ladder stands for a few years but I am now limited to a ground blind.
If I were to kill one I would have to have help in dragging it out.
I still run a few trail cameras and enjoy that a lot.
I am going to keep at it as long as my legs and body will hold out. I don't have any balance anymore and have to use a hiking stick any time I am in the woods.
"But I still love it"
Keep gettin after em any way that you can!

Flintlocksforme

54 soon started at 9. I enjoy all types of hunting and never buy meat from the store, no kids that hunt or son in laws, or grandchildren. I will never buy meat if I can help it so l don't ever plan on it. Climber, hang up, ladder, I do what I have to do. Bad back so I may get the receiver hitch pole and winch for loading them. May even star using an ATV instead of dragging them out. Whatever it takes

ferg

I started in 1967 - only missed a few years while in the USCG - now my Arthritis in my hips limits me some, but I'd like to get a few more years in. Seems I enjoy sitting in the woods more than the actual a t of harvest, but who knows, Lord willing I'll get a few more in.

Ferg....

Poker

I'm 64 and was able to hang my lock on and pull out a deer this year for about a 1/4 mile. I've started using an ebike which has helped with walking and toting considerably. I probably have less than 5 years left, but I'm gonna enjoy them as much as I can.

M T Pockets 000

I am 70 years old. I live on 28 acres in east TN. There is no hunting allowed on neighboring properties. For many years there was a small but reproducing heard. Now the deer are few and just passing through. There are two ladder stands and two shacks on the property. Sadly I stopped using the ladder stands a couple of years ago. I can walk up the ridges but it winds me and I have to stop often. I found this out this season. I can still manage flat land. My neuropathy in my feet and legs and cardiovascular disease is taking its toll. I now use a ATV to get up the ridge . I hunt the shacks or a pop-up blind. I have said I was done a couple of times but a couple of friends converting a 45/70 to smokeless for me and my hunting buddy continuing to encourage me I am still hunting. I don't know how much longer I rekun my body will let me know.