How many more years of deer hunting do you have left?

DMD

Might as well be asking how long before you expect to go into a nursing home or die?

Personally, I don't find it that "hard" to use a climbing tree stand.
Must be a lack of experience with many who think it's physically hard to do.

Some other ways can be "easier".
But placing a ladder stand is not.

Have also seen some store-bought box stands
that I thought getting into was harder than climbing a tree.

As long as you can walk & sit, you should have the physical ability to deer hunt from a ground blind?
I tend to agree with you about climbing stand. I honestly feel safer climbing with a climbing stand then I do a ladder stand. As long as it's the right kind of tree for climbing. Now, a ladder stand is easier to climb in and out as far as no stand to hang or carry.

Mescalero

We've all been thinking about this. I have too. Just turned 61. I've hunted since I was 12 or 13, took some time off in the 1990s, and then got back into it. Started hunting deer late 90s/early 2000s.

I hunt public land and most of the time use my climber stand. It causes me no trouble. As the season starts coming to a close, I do get tired of it. Not because it's difficult to pack in, set up or climb, but I start getting tired of dealing with all of that. By late December, I'm usually hunting from the ground in a chair. This season, I actually saw as many deer from the ground as I did from the climber stand. And that got me thinking again about how long I'll be able to continue to hunt deer. I still am a regular at the gym, walk 10,000 or more steps everyday, drink a lot of water, eat as well as I can, weigh less today than I did as a college athlete. My exercise regime and diet are primarily so I'm here for my kids as long as possible and so I can hunt for as long as possible. Currently, I do not have any major or minor medical problems. I know that will change today, tomorrow or 10 or more years from now. When I can't use the climber stand anymore, I'll hunt exclusively from the ground. I'll hunt until I can't walk in anymore carrying a gun or bow.

Mescalero

Until I die or become incapacitated. Have told my family many times that when God calls me home I hope someone has to cut my safety harness & lower me to the ground 😂. Actually started planning for this period 20 years ago when I formed my hunting club. Have got 3 buddies that I wanted a place that we could go to as long as we wanted. We've been blessed to have hunted & fished together from FL to AK for past 40+ years. Now we range in age from 66-71 and our golden years have arrived. We've worked hard to get our camp established & comfortable campers setup for each of us. That way we don't have to listen to each other's snoring, getting up 6 times to pee or sleeping in if we want. One thing that we've done at camp when it comes to work, is to setup dedicated teams to handle specific to tasks. We've got stand teams, plot teams, shooting house teams, etc ... Everyone knows what is expected each year & has a deadline to meet. Work can be done when convenient for each team which really helps with logistics as some of members live 10 hrs away.

One thing I am having to re-evaluate is my western hunts. This past season in SD really opened my eyes on what my limit has become. Even though we were only at 3,300ft in elevation, snow was knee deep and really kicked my butt. Hunted elk 4 years ago at 10k feet in a wilderness camp and made it okay, but noticed a huge drop in my stamina on this SD hunt...

Sitting on a bunch of WY preference points for elk/deer/antelope for myself & two grandsons and beginning to wonder if I can really pull off 3 more western diy hunts.
My oldest daughter lives in Los Angeles. Don't recall how we got on the subject, but a few months ago she told me that I'm never going into a "home" but will move in with her and her family when I can't take care of myself on my own anymore even though she knows I don't like Los Angeles. I appreciate her thought and telling me she's going to be there for me, but I told her I'm dying in the woods like the old Indian chief. I'm not dying in %#$@&*! Los Angeles.

MUP

Definitely have mulled that over in my head the last couple of years. Health issues, minor, yet still affecting my time afield. I hunt alone anymore, and I'm ok with that, but the thought has occurred to me that I might be found out on my property one of these days during deer season. To answer the question, wild guess, I'm thinking less than 10 years, maybe closer to 5.

redblood

I think about daily. With a large unique piece of property in a county where property values have exploded, i could sell out . I still have my family land and we own another small piece (15 acres) near lynchburg. Since my home and farm are paid for i could cash out and build a sensible home and put the balance in the bank, retire early and live off the interest. I thought about it, but my elderly mom is close to where i live now. I feel everyones hunting days are numbered and if you dont own the land, you are day to day

BSK

I was about 60 when I started. I'm 71 now. I decided this past hunting season to stay on the ground or hunt houses with steps not ladders.
I told her I know guys hunting into their 70s but I also know they don't hunt nearly as much and they hunt differently. That is to say the might climb up in a ladder stand with a safety rope but usually it is a ground blind, shooting house or some sort of chair.

This may be the way we will go. The oldest hunter in our group is mid 70s with multiple health issues (heart problems and currently battling prostrate cancer). His energy levels prevent him from anything beyond about a 100-yard walk on level ground. This year, he limited himself to shooting houses with stairs (no ladders) and a pop-up ground blind. And you know what? He saw more good bucks than just about anybody else! I've realized, hunting that way is lot better than nothing, and in certain circumstances, can be quite effective.

tellico4x4

This may be the way we will go. The oldest hunter in our group is mid 70s with multiple health issues (heart problems and currently battling prostrate cancer). His energy levels prevent him from anything beyond about a 100-yard walk on level ground. This year, he limited himself to shooting houses with stairs (no ladders) and a pop-up ground blind. And you know what? He saw more good bucks than just about anybody else! I've realized, hunting that way is lot better than nothing, and in certain circumstances, can be quite effective.
Stairs is a great idea! With over 30 houses I need to assign that project to our shooting house team and start replacing ladders with stairs.

348Winchester

At 52 I'm still able to do anything I was able to do thirty years ago just slower. At 49, on New Year's Eve, I killed a nice 10 point that dressed about 170 lbs. It was right at dark and he ran into the thickest, steepest, nastiest hollow on our Scott County lease. After dragging the deer out of the hollow and across a rain swollen creek, into which I fell twice after losing my balance in the current, it took all of my fading strength to get him into the truck. When I got home it was nearly 11 o'clock. I was exhausted. I remember asking myself how long would I be able to do such things. I began to sadden from such thoughts when it occurred to me that many men, years my junior, could not have accomplished what I had just done. I slumbered well that evening and hunted the morrow!

This subject still weighs heavily on my mind. I hunt damn near every day of the season. From the opening of muzzle loader to the final day of rifle I will only miss 3-5 days due to work. I will use most of my sick days plus the breaks when school is out. Many days are only evening hunts after work but I'm very fortunate to be able to hunt way more than most. By the end of the season I am very tired. Hopefully, I can keep this up for many years to come but the great equalizer awaits.

To hunt as long as possible, I realize my methods will need to change.

SJS

I'm 62 right now. My Dad passed in April at 93. He said to me that after 80 years old quality of life nosedives dramatically. It's when he stopped hunting. He started turkey hunting late in life. I called in a Jake for him for his first bird when he was 72, then at 78 he called and shot this one in on his own. He was so proud that he was able to accomplish that. I think like most of us on here we will try and go as long as possible, God willing!

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 65

rifle02

I tend to agree with you about climbing stand. I honestly feel safer climbing with a climbing stand then I do a ladder stand. As long as it's the right kind of tree for climbing. Now, a ladder stand is easier to climb in and out as far as no stand to hang or carry.
As you age it's a fact that your balance and coordination begin to wane. I know for a fact I could still use my climbing stands I've used them for 20 years. Used two of them just fine last year. But when is enough? I can't see myself still using them six or seven years from now at age 76 or 77 just not reasonable to think that. So I just drew a line in the sand and left them at the house no more climbing for me. Except a ladder of course. And I do use a lifeline. Attach myself to it at the ground and don't detach till I'm back on the ground. I'm getting to be a safety nut in my old age apparently.

JCDEERMAN

As long as I'm able. I just turned 39, so I'm hoping I have quite a bit more time on this earth. I do all I can to stay fit and healthy with a good diet. I'm in great shape and that hasn't stopped since I was in high school. My dad is limited to shooting houses these days (turns 74 tomorrow) and he just got a golf cart to get around easier. His drive is mostly gone, but we have a place with a cabin we all hang out at. Whether he goes out or not, he has a great time. I will probably be the same way. The older guys get to watch us younger guys have a lot of fun. And I hope us younger guys will be able to watch our kids do the same, Lord willing, at the same place. It's a convenient place to get to and everything is set up the way we want it. Even if I'm limited to sitting on the ground in my golden years, I will be out there

DMD

As you age it's a fact that your balance and coordination begin to wane. I know for a fact I could still use my climbing stands I've used them for 20 years. Used two of them just fine last year. But when is enough? I can't see myself still using them six or seven years from now at age 76 or 77 just not reasonable to think that. So I just drew a line in the sand and left them at the house no more climbing for me. Except a ladder of course. And I do use a lifeline. Attach myself to it at the ground and don't detach till I'm back on the ground. I'm getting to be a safety nut in my old age apparently.
I understand that completely. I hope you are able to hunt for many years to come 👍👍

gtk

Staff member
56 and have been hunting hard since i was 10 or so. My hunting has changed from "hunting everything, every season, all season long and every free minute" to "hunting when i feel like it. And it has been very enjoyable not stressing over whether I killed anything or not. The older I've gotten, the more I enjoy sleeping in, instead of getting up way before daylight.

Physically, I can definitely tell I'm getting older (arthritis from injury, joints hurt, etc). i can still hunt extremely hard for a week or two, but then the pains/aches catch up with me.

One thing that was nice about living out west and hunting, was the seasons are short and you really can't hunt for months on end. 1 Week elk hunting, a week or so antelope hunting, throw in a couple pheasant hunts, and then its fishing for the rest of my free time.

For now, I no longer feel the "pressure" to go hunting and get something. This is my first hunting season back in the south in several years. I was antelope hunting late sept/early oct. Then late oct i went back elk hunting. After that, I didn't hit the deer woods until last weekend. I was busy doing other stuff, and just not that interested in killing a deer, or goin to the cabin and trying to sleep with a lot of snoring old people :) .

DoubleRidge

Stairs is a great idea! With over 30 houses I need to assign that project to our shooting house team and start replacing ladders with stairs.
Loft style steps or stairs...easy to walk up with pack and rifle....screwed from outside and blocked underneath.....work great and very stable.

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_141254047~4.jpg
    IMG_20201031_141254047~4.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts