How hard is it to draw an Iowa tag???

tellico4x4

I drew Iowa this year, late muzzleloader with 2 points. Zone 4. Heading up between Christmas & new years on an outfitted hunt.
Late ML one of easiest tags to draw in Iowa & also one of most overlooked. IF you have a place with ample late season food & get cold weather it can almost be a slam dunk. But if the neighbors have the food & you don't, your looking at a tough hunt.

AT Hiker

I didn't draw southern zone with 5 points this year. Hope the 6th time is a charm 2022
Ok, I'm confused by the public draw data now. It states 165 people with 5 or more points drew the zone 5 tag that had 560 available permits, thats 100% chances of drawing a tag when you consider 395 people with 4 points drew that tag.
With approximately 1500 people applying for 560 tags and they utilize a preference point system, vs a bonus point, that tells me you have 100% success with 5 points or more.

Did you apply in a party?

AT Hiker

Simple draw odds state that if you subtract the 165 with 5 or more points from the 1495 total applicants that leaves 1330 applicants left with 4 or less points.
Assuming all 1330 had 4 points and competed for the remaining 395 tags, that's a 29.6% chance of drawing. Those with 5+ points that applied in 2021 were guaranteed a tag in zone 5, that's according to the available draw data and my TN math, of course.

TN Whitetail Freak

Ok, I'm confused by the public draw data now. It states 165 people with 5 or more points drew the zone 5 tag that had 560 available permits, thats 100% chances of drawing a tag when you consider 395 people with 4 points drew that tag.
With approximately 1500 people applying for 560 tags and they utilize a preference point system, vs a bonus point, that tells me you have 100% success with 5 points or more.

Did you apply in a party?
You're right error on my part I went in with 4 points applied for the 5th time and now how 5 preference pts. I'll apply for the 6th time and go in with 5 pts next season.

Ski

Well that would suck. Owning a farm you arent allowed to hunt. I am considering buying a small piece out of state as an investment. Most of my focus is in southern illinois

Owning in Ohio gets you landowner license & tag. Of course you'd be restricted to hunting only the land you own, but still a perk of not having to buy license & tags every year.

Latest posts