Food Plots Hot, dry spell

BSK

Looks like BSK had luck on his side.
Nope. Not one drop.

One soybean plot in a narrow valley, doing great. Surface of soil still moist. Three ridge-top plots saw good germination, but plants are stunted. Three more ridge-top plots are now almost bare dirt. Total failure. Sunn hemp is up and seems to be doing well, but doubt it will last another week to 10 days without rain, especially with the 100 degree temps forecast for next week. And no organized rain in the 2 week forecast as of this afternoon.

BSK

I sure hope we have a wet late summer and early fall. I'm going to need great fall food plots. Looked at a bunch of oak branches blown out of treetops from the gust front this morning and very, VERY few acorn buds on any of the white oak varieties. A tad more on some of the reds, but still not a lot.

I find that strange, as in Nashville I'm seeing a ton of acorn buds on downed white oak limbs. But then, at my place in Humphreys, we almost never see two good acorn crops in a row, and last year was the bumper crop from Hades.

JCDEERMAN

Nope. Not one drop.

One soybean plot in a narrow valley, doing great. Surface of soil still moist. Three ridge-top plots saw good germination, but plants are stunted. Three more ridge-top plots are now almost bare dirt. Total failure. Sunn hemp is up and seems to be doing well, but doubt it will last another week to 10 days without rain, especially with the 100 degree temps forecast for next week. And no organized rain in the 2 week forecast as of this afternoon.
Geez! Well we most certainly didn't get any. A man can't catch a break on anything these days

JCDEERMAN

I sure hope we have a wet late summer and early fall. I'm going to need great fall food plots. Looked at a bunch of oak branches blown out of treetops from the gust front this morning and very, VERY few acorn buds on any of the white oak varieties. A tad more on some of the reds, but still not a lot.
Good to know. I did notice all the oak branches at the house

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
No rain for me either. I planted some buckwheat yesterday because I thought we were going to get some.

JCDEERMAN

Still no rain in Hickman. Just got an assessment of our place though. My cousin went to our place over the weekend. Surprisingly, the buckwheat was up to about a foot tall in all the new plots (21 acres). I can't believe that, but is testament to how resilient buckwheat is. Not sure on the sunn hemp - he doesn't know what it looks like.

Another testament to no till - all the sorghum we planted last weekend has sprouted and is about 1-2" tall. We had rain I believe the Wednesday -Thursday prior, drilled in sorghum (9 acres) that Sunday and then sprayed. All that thatch from cereal rye and crimson clover was holding moisture in the soil. So much so, that all that sorghum sprouted in this 100 degree dry heat. Couldn't believe that. Now, will it withstand another whole week with no rain and 100+ degree temps? Lord help us

BSK

Still no rain in Hickman. Just got an assessment of our place though. My cousin went to our place over the weekend. Surprisingly, the buckwheat was up to about a foot tall in all the new plots (21 acres). I can't believe that, but is testament to how resilient buckwheat is. Not sure on the sunn hemp - he doesn't know what it looks like.
Sunn Hemp is supposed to be drought tolerant. Well, sadly we're about to put how drought tolerant is to the test.

BSK

How well does it remain "standing" up late season or late winter?
Thinking it could be good as security cover, as in some rows of it allowing me to walk across a field without been seen by deer feeding in the field.
This is my first year with it. Popcorn might know.

tellico4x4

Really hope this doesn't turn into 2019 all over again. Had less than . 25" rain in September & 100 degrees in October that year. Spread lime the past two days so was all over camp, clover has gone dormant and dang dust is just about unbearable...

JCDEERMAN

It's really bad. I am surprised however on the amount of dew each morning. Hoping that little bit is soaked up before it gets evaporated

skipperbrown

How well does it remain "standing" up late season or late winter?
Thinking it could be good as security cover, as in some rows of it allowing me to walk across a field without been seen by deer feeding in the field.
Last year mine stood high and proud until the first heavy frost and then it collapsed to about 2'.

Boll Weevil

Don't worry y'all...we'll prolly get 4ft of rain over a 3 day stretch and it'll be recorded as a normal rainfall year. Good thing climate change isn't real. :rolleyes:

BSK

Tiny chance of showers at my place tonight, but better chance Sunday night. Then models suggest a rainy 4th of July Weekend and a return to more normal patterns after that (more afternoon thunderstorms and more frequent fronts coming through post-4th of July weekend).

BSK

Good thing climate change isn't real. :rolleyes:
I had to laugh when I saw it being reported that Nashville is now at the longest stretch of time without breaking 100 degrees in the city's record history. And that goes back to the early 1800s. So much for Global Warming.

Latest posts