Henry County CWD

Omega

Henry County had a positive CWD last summer. But, it is still in unit L, correct? So muzzleloader is required?
I think so, I was reading about Hardin County, and am in the same boat. Only the bad parts of CWD management applies, well and a couple of good things like buck replacement and vouchers.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Look at pages 18 and 19 of the hunting guide. Henry shows Unit L on 18, but CWD on 19. Might be worth a call to the Region office at 1-800-372-3928 to ask for sure what was intended. The ones I wonder about are Lake and Obion since they just got declared high risk, after the proclamations but before season starts. I know they get the feed/mineral restrictions and transport rules, but not sure about the earn a buck and weapon changes.

Omega

CWD in Tennessee
Please note that Carroll, Decatur, Dyer, Hardin, Henry, Lake, Obion, Wayne, and Weakley Counties, although affected by CWD, are not currently in Unit CWD and remain in Deer Unit L.
Regulations and Hunting with CWD
If a county becomes CWD-positive or CWD high-risk, ONLY carcass transport restrictions and wildlife feeding restrictions immediately go into effect. Other Unit CWD regulations including methods of take and deer season dates, however, do NOT automatically go into effect. These changes require action by the Tennessee Fish & Wildlife Commission. Check out this Deer Hunting Unit map to know which Unit you will be hunting in.

Please note Unit CWD includes Chester, Crockett, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Haywood, Henderson, Madison, McNairy, Lauderdale, Shelby, and Tipton counties. Unit CWD does NOT include Carroll, Decatur, Dyer, Hardin, Henry, Lake, Obion, Wayne, or Weakley Counties at this time.

TheLBLman

The ones I wonder about are Lake and Obion since they just got declared high risk, after the proclamations but before season starts.
Same here, as I may be hunting some in both Lake & Obion counties, and would like to bring a deer back to either Stewart or Montgomery county for processing. In times past, would just drop the deer off at Yoder Brothers, not even out of my way.

But you want to hear something really "inconvenient" to comply?

There is a hunting club with land on a bend in the Mississippi River near the TN-KY state line. At "Bessie Bend", most of the land is in Kentucky, but the area is only accessible by driving from Lake County, TN (or via boat across the Mississippi River)! When a deer is killed there (in KY), it is brought back "across state lines", and if the hunter lives in KY, back again "across state lines" into KY. Not sure said deer could be legally processed in either TN or KY by a commercial processor.

Another somewhat similar situation is the northern tip of the Big Sandy Peninsula, most of which is in Benton Co., TN. But the tip, is in Henry County, TN. The only way someone can drive to the end of the peninsula is thru Benton County, or, via boat across Kentucky Lake!

TheLBLman

We used to justify the time, cost, & inconvenience in killing some of the "management" deer via giving away the venison to individuals and HFH. But now, fewer people want the venison, and there may just be no convenient way to process it.

With our long-term processor (Yoder Brothers in Henry Co.) now shutting down, I'm positive we're going to be killing fewer deer, due to either the logistics or the legalities or all the above.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Look at pages 18 and 19 of the hunting guide. Henry shows Unit L on 18, but CWD on 19. Might be worth a call to the Region office at 1-800-372-3928 to ask for sure what was intended. The ones I wonder about are Lake and Obion since they just got declared high risk, after the proclamations but before season starts. I know they get the feed/mineral restrictions and transport rules, but not sure about the earn a buck and weapon changes.

Found my answer in the Dyer County thread.

NASHVILLE --- Chronic wasting disease (CWD) has been detected in a 4 ½-year-old white-tailed deer buck in Dyer County according to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. This makes Dyer County positive and due to the proximity within 10 miles, Obion County and Lake County become high-risk counties for CWD.
The positive deer was harvested north of Dyersburg last November. A taxidermist submitted the sample to TWRA staff recently and the agency just received the results.
The Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission automatically institutes deer carcass transportation and wildlife feeding restrictions in all positive and high-risk counties to best manage CWD in the state. These restrictions are now in effect for the three counties. There are no changes to hunting regulations at this time.
Supplemental feeding of wildlife is banned in high-risk and positive counties, therefore placement of grains, salt products, and other consumable products for wildlife is prohibited. The ban does not apply to feed placed within 100 feet of a residence, feed placed in a manner not accessible to deer, or feed and minerals as the result of normal agricultural practices. Food plots are still legal in affected counties.

Bon3_Daddy

I seen a fella this past spring in Henry Co. Walk within 12 yards of a 8 pt in late February with a AR and kill one that had been standing in same spot for 2 days..(game warden told him to kill it for testing)

Point is, it's present here yet we are still in unit L?
At any rate, Cmon November

ROB

Same here, as I may be hunting some in both Lake & Obion counties, and would like to bring a deer back to either Stewart or Montgomery county for processing. In times past, would just drop the deer off at Yoder Brothers, not even out of my way.

But you want to hear something really "inconvenient" to comply?

There is a hunting club with land on a bend in the Mississippi River near the TN-KY state line. At "Bessie Bend", most of the land is in Kentucky, but the area is only accessible by driving from Lake County, TN (or via boat across the Mississippi River)! When a deer is killed there (in KY), it is brought back "across state lines", and if the hunter lives in KY, back again "across state lines" into KY. Not sure said deer could be legally processed in either TN or KY by a commercial processor.

Another somewhat similar situation is the northern tip of the Big Sandy Peninsula, most of which is in Benton Co., TN. But the tip, is in Henry County, TN. The only way someone can drive to the end of the peninsula is thru Benton County, or, via boat across Kentucky Lake!
I was drawn to hunt the TN NWR this past year. After CWD was found in Henry Co, the only legal was to take any deer I might harvest home would be to completely bone it out before leaving Henry Co * entering Benton Co.

TheLBLman

I was drawn to hunt the TN NWR this past year. After CWD was found in Henry Co, the only legal was to take any deer I might harvest home would be to completely bone it out before leaving Henry Co * entering Benton Co.
Yep, October 2022, it suddenly became illegal to cross into Benton County with a deer killed in Henry County. I was drawn on that same hunt with 4 other hunters in my group of 5. All were initially going and excited about it, as it was a pre-statewide season rifle hunt, and any deer killed would have been a "bonus".

EVERYONE backed out, motel reservations at Big Sandy cancelled.
100% because of the edicts made by TWRA, not because we were afraid of covid (or cwd).

Weather was so good, I just couldn't "not" go that 2nd day, so ended up on the 2nd day of the hunt there by myself. I'm near certain not a single other hunter besides myself was there. Very bizarre situation for such a normally "valued" bonus hunt.

beefydeer

Long time processor in Obion County, Browns Meat Plant, closed a few years ago. Now we either have to go to Birdwell in Greenfield or there is one in Dyersburg to go to. Very inconvenient to get a deer processed now.

TheLBLman

For those of us who live close to the state line, as on either side of the TN-KY state line, and often actually drive back & forth across the line while just leaving the house to hunt in either and/or even our home state the cwd transportation edicts are greatly reducing both hunter deer harvests and well as the desire to deer hunt.

What am saying is that some of the roads used from our homes in TN to deer hunt in TN, actually zig-zag or cross into KY. There must be at least several hundred deer hunters like this in Lake, Obion, Weakley, Henry, Stewart, and Montgomery Counties ---- all of which, if not already subject, may soon be subject to these cwd harvested deer transportation regulations.

I've heard some hunters say the reason they're not going deer hunting is because they're afraid they might shoot a deer, and it's too much involved to get it home and/or to process.

Andy S.

Not to minimize the discussion about Henry and surrounding counties, but the discussion in this thread sounds all too familiar, just like the discussions SW TN deer hunters had in 2019. We have lived a very similar experience as all "situations" described above with CWD, even the state line transport issues along the MS River (AR/TN). As we have screamed for 3+ years, YOU DON'T WANT IT. If nothing more, CWD detection in your immediate area becomes a logistical nightmare if you want to kill deer, transport deer, have deer processed and remain legal eagle and true to the regulations and law. On the flip side, as soon as the neighboring counties detect their first positive (which will happen with time), the logistical nightmare is relieved, to some degree, as the transport restrictions are relaxed when all neighboring counties become positive, thus opening roads for legal transport and disposal of deer remains if you choose to process behind your house/shop/etc.

Latest posts