Henry Buckhammer 360 Chime in

TboneD

TWRA officially solicited input on it, and included it in their "public meeting", so yeah, it's kind of a thing. Not just a rumor.
EastTNHunter, thanks for the info.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised but what do straight walls have to do with muzzleloading season? If the commission is considering allowing something besides muzzleloaders in muzzleloader season they need to look at what MS did. It's always been called "Primitive Weapon Season" down there so when they decided to add single shot exposed hammer rifles of certain older cartridges, at least it wasn't silly. You don't see the words "straight wall cartridge" in the MS primitive weapon description, though, because that consideration is for yankee states where they previously didn't allow anything but muzzleloaders or shotguns….which has absolutely NOTHING to do with how our seasons in the south are set up!

TboneD

Mississippi primitive season is single shot. How does a lever gun get in this discussion?
That was exactly my point. I only brought up the case of MS because they also changed their season to include firearms other than muzzleloaders, but straight wall had nothing to do with it.

Try to follow my thinking. Am I wrong to guess that 99% of TN whitetails are killed inside of 150 yds? Well, am I alone in thinking that efficiency of weapon and pressure on the deer have been the major considerations by which our weapon specific deer seasons in the south have been set? So MS decided that single shot weapons with rainbow trajectories were primitive enough. Anyhow, if I'm in the ballpark in my understanding of the impact of weapons allowed for each season and TN decides to allow straight wall cartridge repeaters, whether lever or semi-automatic, they absolutely might as well just open the gun season two weeks sooner.

EDIT: Please complete my concluding sentence above with "…which to be Captain Obvious, NO, I do not want."

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
That was exactly my point. I only brought up the case of MS because they also changed their season to include firearms other than muzzleloaders, but straight wall had nothing to do with it.

Try to follow my thinking. Am I wrong to guess that 99% of TN whitetails are killed inside of 150 yds? Well, am I alone in thinking that efficiency of weapon and pressure on the deer have been the major considerations by which our weapon specific deer seasons in the south have been set? So MS decided that single shot weapons with rainbow trajectories were primitive enough. Anyhow, if I'm in the ballpark in my understanding of the impact of weapons allowed for each season and TN decides to allow straight wall cartridge repeaters, whether lever or semi-automatic, they absolutely might as well just open the gun season two weeks sooner.
I'm going to be honest and selfish for just a minute. I like ml season. It has nothing to do with flintlocks and buckskins or lack of synthetic base layers or four wheelers. It's because I hunt highly pressured public land that is dwindling in huntable acreage and increasing in pressure. There are a few public spots that I will not hunt past ml season (except for the very end of rifle season after most people have hung it up). There are fewer people ML hunting than rifle hunting due to the "difficulty" of using a muzzle loader. This is due to:
-people are too intimidated by the thought of front stuffers
-people have had a bad experience with muzzleloaders in the past with a misfire
-people don't think that MLs are accurate enough
-people don't want the hassle of all of the accoutrements

For the above reasons I like to ML hunt more than any other season. I DON'T want the season to be simplified for the lowest common denominator of intelligence or laziness and me basically to have to give up some of my favorite spots that I only get to hunt during ML. I hunt with a smokeless MUZZLELOADER that loads from the MUZZLE, not because of increased power or distance, but because it's easier to clean. I haven't killed a deer with an ML beyond 125yd that I can recall.

I know that I'm being selfish but I'm being honest

Stumpsitter

Ballistics of .360 Buck Hammer are close to .35 Remington
If I read it right and remember it right. It's more or less a 30/30 necked up to fit a .35 bullet. I watched a little excerpt about it on a YouTube video with a Remington rep saying it wasn't going to do away with the .35 Remington just because of the buck hammer load. I call B.S. on that. It's just going to make.35 ammunition that much harder to find.

TboneD

I'm going to be honest and selfish for just a minute. I like ml season. It has nothing to do with flintlocks and buckskins or lack of synthetic base layers or four wheelers. It's because I hunt highly pressured public land that is dwindling in huntable acreage and increasing in pressure. There are a few public spots that I will not hunt past ml season (except for the very end of rifle season after most people have hung it up). There are fewer people ML hunting than rifle hunting due to the "difficulty" of using a muzzle loader. This is due to:
-people are too intimidated by the thought of front stuffers
-people have had a bad experience with muzzleloaders in the past with a misfire
-people don't think that MLs are accurate enough
-people don't want the hassle of all of the accoutrements

For the above reasons I like to ML hunt more than any other season. I DON'T want the season to be simplified for the lowest common denominator of intelligence or laziness and me basically to have to give up some of my favorite spots that I only get to hunt during ML. I hunt with a smokeless MUZZLELOADER that loads from the MUZZLE, not because of increased power or distance, but because it's easier to clean. I haven't killed a deer with an ML beyond 125yd that I can recall.

I know that I'm being selfish but I'm being honest
I'm not altogether sure why you quoted me but I completely agree. We don't want muzzleloader season to be anything but muzzleloader season. Gun season is plenty long enough as it is.

TboneD

If I read it right and remember it right. It's more or less a 30/30 necked up to fit a .35 bullet. I watched a little excerpt about it on a YouTube video with a Remington rep saying it wasn't going to do away with the .35 Remington just because of the buck hammer load. I call B.S. on that. It's just going to make.35 ammunition that much harder to find.
Winchester has kicked butt with the 350 Legend and there's also been a resurgence in lever guns. So it was reasonable to assume the legendary .35 Rem lever gun would be a winning proposition in straight wall cartridge states, if only it was a straight wall cartridge.

There's still plenty of Marlins .35 Rems out there, as well as hunters like myself still toting them to the woods each fall. So although you have to get factory ammo while the getting's good, the ammo is still being made. (Can't wait to try the new Federal HammerDown 220 gr!) So what I'm getting at is just my opinion, but if the .35 Rem cartridge dies it'll be because Ruger owned Marlin decided not to resume its production. Why they wouldn't is way beyond me.

Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

Ballistics of .360 Buck Hammer are close to .35 Remington
They're close with the 360 BH about 100-125 fps faster with the same bullet weights. If I already owned a 35 Rem, I wouldn't bother to buy a 360 BH unless state regs required the use of a straight walled cartridge or I just wanted one for the heck of it.

Latest posts