Deer Processors in Henry & Weakley counties

ROB

Last year, I harvested a buck in Weakley County. I took him to Kaufman's Processing, in Cottage Grove, where I had taken deer before, only to discover that they were no longer processing deer as they couldn't find enough help. Mr. Kaufman suggested I take the buck to Yoder Brothers, just outside of Paris, which worked out fine, since they weren't far away & since both Weakley & Henry Counties are CWD counties (you're not supposed to transport an unprocessed deer from a CWD county into a non-CWD county.). I got to Yoder Brothers about 10AM. When I got there, I noticed there was only one guy processing deer & he was about 40 deer behind. This was during gun season, peak time for deer processing.

Yesterday, I saw where Yoder Brothers will not be processing deer this year. They have been the major deer processor in Henry County for at least 30 years. That leaves Birdwell Deer Processing, which is located south of Greenfield, as an option. I've taken them deer before & they have done a good job, but that would be over 40 miles from where I hunt in Henry County.

Does anyone know of, or have experience with, any other processors in Henry or Weakley counties? This could get complicated in a hurry.

woodyard

I know nothing about any of these others, but here are names and numbers from 2018 phone book . May not be in business now. Clifty Creek Processing 731-336 6017. K & J Meat processing 731-642-6490

TheLBLman

All I can say is that when a long established & efficient operation like Yoder Brothers can't seem to make a go of it now, may be slim pickings in finding a decent processor, and even slimmer in finding one that can stay in business over a year or two?

Between the difficulties now in finding competent people willing to work for reasonable wages, the business losses in complying with the CWD policies, and fewer people desiring to eat venison, many established processors either have or will be closing their operations.

Looks like I'm going back to just totally processing my own deer, which also means I will be "harvesting" fewer deer. As more counties to the east get designated at CWD zone, more processors to the east will be closing as well.

Lost Lake

I hunt in Henry county. When I couldn't transport across county lines, we started processing our own. It's fun at first, but greatly influences how I hunt and when I shoot a deer now. It's more like meat shopping than hunting.

I bought a half beef this Spring, and I doubt if I'll shoot more than 1-2 deer this year, if that. I usually put 4-5 in the freezer.

Good luck finding someone, but I'd recommend doing it yourself if possible.

rem270

Yoder's used to be my go to place until the state line laws went into effect. I hate to hear they aren't doing deer anymore. I hear the owner passed away and I guess whoever is running it now just couldn't keep up. One thing about Birdwell in Greenfield you better call first. I see stories every year of them stopping the intake of deer, usually in rifle season when things pick up.

TheLBLman

Yoder's used to be my go to place until the state line laws went into effect.
IMO, this particular CWD regulation (cannot transport deer killed in KY to TN for processing) was the first nail in the coffin for Yoder Brothers ending their deer processing. Being very close to the TN-KY state line, a significant amount of their processing was from deer killed in KY. As an aside, many of those KY-killed deer were actual killed by TN residents (many of whom hunt both TN & KY).

I hear the owner passed away and I guess whoever is running it now just couldn't keep up.
I actually think the issues were much more complex than this, mainly not being able to get & keep workers, but also seeing the "hand writing on the wall" since Henry County just became a CWD county last fall.

The business was started by Mr. Simon Yoder back in the 1980's. Mr. Simon passed away in July, 2018. But long before his passing, the business had long-term been run primarily by Mr. Simon's son Norm, and by Norm's son James. Sadly, Norm Yoder passed away in January 2019.

A year later, covid would hit, and covid & the government mandates associated with covid, hit the meat processing industry particularly hard.

James Yoder has done an excellent job in all aspects of operations, but at some point, a smarter captain doesn't go down with the ship. Yoder's Country Store will remain open; the meat processing facility is closed.

rem270

IMO, this particular CWD regulation (cannot transport deer killed in KY to TN for processing) was the first nail in the coffin for Yoder Brothers ending their deer processing. Being very close to the TN-KY state line, a significant amount of their processing was from deer killed in KY. As an aside, many of those KY-killed deer were actual killed by TN residents (many of whom hunt both TN & KY).

I actually think the issues were much more complex than this, mainly not being able to get & keep workers, but also seeing the "hand writing on the wall" since Henry County just became a CWD county last fall.

The business was started by Mr. Simon Yoder back in the 1980's. Mr. Simon passed away in July, 2018. But long before his passing, the business had long-term been run primarily by Mr. Simon's son Norm, and by Norm's son James. Sadly, Norm Yoder passed away in January 2019.

A year later, covid would hit, and covid & the government mandates associated with covid, hit the meat processing industry particularly hard.

James Yoder has done an excellent job in all aspects of operations, but at some point, a smarter captain doesn't go down with the ship. Yoder's Country Store will remain open; the meat processing facility is closed.
I didn't know of Norm's passing, or maybe I did and missed Simon's passing but I remember hearing about just 1 of them. It's a shame, I loved that place and the folks were always nice and got my deer back in a quickly manner. I use a place in Melber, KY now and they are great people but the snack sticks do not compare to Yoder's.

Back in 2019ish I thought hard about buying a place on the state line and opening a processing plant on both sides of the road. I would have called it Twin Cities processing. But it would be hard to start from ground level on something like that. Now I live on state line road and I do believe a processing plant would do good in Fulton but that's a huge liability for me to take on and go full on at it. I would love to think I could start it and hire someone dependable enough to run it but in today's world that's super hard to come by.

cbrock84

Last year, I harvested a buck in Weakley County. I took him to Kaufman's Processing, in Cottage Grove, where I had taken deer before, only to discover that they were no longer processing deer as they couldn't find enough help. Mr. Kaufman suggested I take the buck to Yoder Brothers, just outside of Paris, which worked out fine, since they weren't far away & since both Weakley & Henry Counties are CWD counties (you're not supposed to transport an unprocessed deer from a CWD county into a non-CWD county.). I got to Yoder Brothers about 10AM. When I got there, I noticed there was only one guy processing deer & he was about 40 deer behind. This was during gun season, peak time for deer processing.

Yesterday, I saw where Yoder Brothers will not be processing deer this year. They have been the major deer processor in Henry County for at least 30 years. That leaves Birdwell Deer Processing, which is located south of Greenfield, as an option. I've taken them deer before & they have done a good job, but that would be over 40 miles from where I hunt in Henry County.

Does anyone know of, or have experience with, any other processors in Henry or Weakley counties? This could get complicated in a hurry.
Amish processor on brawners rd off highway 124 in pillowville. First house on the right. Think this will be his 2nd or 3rd yr in business

TheLBLman

I would love to think I could start it and hire someone dependable enough to run it but in today's world that's super hard to come by.
HOPE is not a very good plan.

The problems aren't just in finding & keeping good help.
There are going to be fewer, and fewer deer being brought ANYWHERE to be processed.
Fewer hunters killing fewer deer,
then among those hunters, more will be doing their own processing.

Who knows.
It may become illegal to even transport a deer on a state road even inside your county.

I remember just a couple years ago when my KY turkey-hunting buddies couldn't even come across the state line into TN to turkey hunt because the KY governor proclaimed they would not be allowed to go home due to his covid edicts. One of them would have been fired from his job (in KY) for spending his weekend off in TN.

You may think I'm off subject with the covid talk, but the parallels are uncanny.
Between the government covid & cwd edicts,
sad times for the deer processing business.

ROB

I didn't know of Norm's passing, or maybe I did and missed Simon's passing but I remember hearing about just 1 of them. It's a shame, I loved that place and the folks were always nice and got my deer back in a quickly manner. I use a place in Melber, KY now and they are great people but the snack sticks do not compare to Yoder's.

Back in 2019ish I thought hard about buying a place on the state line and opening a processing plant on both sides of the road. I would have called it Twin Cities processing. But it would be hard to start from ground level on something like that. Now I live on state line road and I do believe a processing plant would do good in Fulton but that's a huge liability for me to take on and go full on at it. I would love to think I could start it and hire someone dependable enough to run it but in today's world that's super hard to come by.
Rem270,

As most on here know, I used to live in Weakley Co, TN, just 8 miles south of the KY/TN state line, but then moved for work to Calloway Co, KY, just 8 miles north of the TN/KY state line. While I lived in TN, I bought a lifetime Sportsman's license & am blessed to hunt both states. In KY, there is Burnett's Processing in Melber & Dowdy's Processing near Baltimore, both of which are great places. I was just worried about what I would do in TN.

Hate to hear that they are closed. Maybe someone will purchase it and open it back up. The letter on their website states they couldn't reach a purchasing agreement on the facility. After Norms passing it had went down hill some in my opinion. Guess I better try and hunt some where else to go now. Someone said K&J was clean and nice but I haven't been there yet.

Dodge Man

I hunt in Henry county. When I couldn't transport across county lines, we started processing our own. It's fun at first, but greatly influences how I hunt and when I shoot a deer now. It's more like meat shopping than hunting.

I bought a half beef this Spring, and I doubt if I'll shoot more than 1-2 deer this year, if that. I usually put 4-5 in the freezer.

Same here, I process my own deer. I will not shoot a deer unless it is a big buck if it is not cold weather and I have the next day off to cut it up and get it in the freezer. It takes 6 hours + to do it right if i am grinding for burger and vacuum sealing everything for the freezer.

redblood

I only kill one when everything is perfect. And i am highly selective of even the does i shoot. But i can have here gutted, skinned , debones and sliced into jerky within about 3 hours. I then saw zaw the bones for our dogs. I then drag off the skin and head for the critters. It saves a ton of money

Antler Daddy

You can donate it to hunters for the hungry at the county jail. the inmates run a processing plant.

Seems like the end of times when a county with 3K deer killed annually doesn't have a quality deer processor. I like hunting and if I am lucky enough to kill a deer, it ends there...i dont have enough time or patience to be Steve Rinella.

Latest posts