Hay Field

WanderingNomad

I am closing on a piece of land soon that has a few fields that are cut for hay. One seems a bit poor quality in my opinion but not a grass expert. Would I be able to simply disc it and overseed it to help with improving things or do i need to resort to more drastic measures. It is about a 5 acre field in a bottom, preferably keep it as a hayfield for now as I don't have any equipment yet. Looking for suggestions from those of you that do similar on a regular basis.
Thanks for the feedback!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Pull soil samples first and go from there. It could be as simple as a lime application.
After soil tests and amendments you can always top seed in the fall / winter to introduce specific varieties.
Once amended spring grasses should out compete most weeds then mowing for hay should help control them unless you have a real bad problem

deerfever

When I bought mine the field on it was part of a big Hayfield. I did a soil test on my part and it needed lime. I did what the test called for to get the ph up and every year since have sprayed to burn down , tilled and planted. It's turned out great so far. Good luck with the new property! Funny thing I was allowed to hunt this land when I didn't own it. One year absolutely no acorns and deer where in and out of the Hayfield constantly. Every year since I have purchased and planted the property we have had acorns laying around like marbles! Go figure. Good luck with the new property!

Labboy

You can have it bush hogged and then if you have access to a tractor get a sod buster (drill) from co-op and plant fescue and rye this time of the year and the rye will protect the fescue while it roots over the winter. That's how I overseed my hay fields every other year..

WanderingNomad

When I bought mine the field on it was part of a big Hayfield. I did a soil test on my part and it needed lime. I did what the test called for to get the ph up and every year since have sprayed to burn down , tilled and planted. It's turned out great so far. Good luck with the new property! Funny thing I was allowed to hunt this land when I didn't own it. One year absolutely no acorns and deer where in and out of the Hayfield constantly. Every year since I have purchased and planted the property we have had acorns laying around like marbles! Go figure. Good luck with the new property!
Deerfever
Thank you the pointers!
John

WanderingNomad

You can have it bush hogged and then if you have access to a tractor get a sod buster (drill) from co-op and plant fescue and rye this time of the year and the rye will protect the fescue while it roots over the winter. That's how I overseed my hay fields every other year..
Labboy
Thank you for the info!
John

Latest posts