Field-edge scrapes versus woods scrapes

BSK

What I'm talking about when I say a "left-skewed curve" can be seen in the below graph. This is actual conception date data from a large property with a very balanced adult sex ratio and advanced buck age structure (this was in Georgia). Notice how the peak date is skewed to the left of center. Breeding explodes quickly in the process, and then slowly tails down. In this example, all conceptions fall withing a 6 week window. Yet 65% of conceptions occur during weeks 2 and 3 of the 6-week window. In fact, 70% occur in the first 3 weeks, and only 30% in the second 3 weeks.

Attachments

• ConsDates5.jpg
    ConsDates5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 17

TboneD

Really appreciate the graphs and data, BSK. As you and the others already discussed, my thinking on the field edge scrapes is that hunting pressure is what's key, especially taking into account how bucks in Cades Cove seem to throw caution to the wind.

Last edited:

BSK

Very interesting Tellico4x4. But be careful of just using total pictures. A buck may stay at a scrape for 5-10 minutes and get dozens and dozens of pictures taken of himself. That's why I only analyze the data by "events." In essence, as soon as a buck triggers the camera, it becomes an event. No matter how many pictures I get of him during that visit, it is still just one event in my data. He must leave and be off camera for a minimum of 10 minutes before another trigger of the camera makes it a second event. In addition, many times a deer just walks past the area of the scrape and triggers the camera. I don't count those. I only use buck events where the buck interacts with the scrape. I get TONS of doe pictures at field-edge scrapes, but nowhere near as many at woods scrapes.

My data from 2012-2023 includes 2,548 separate buck interactions with scrapes.

yellalinehunter

yellalinehunter,

Below is a graph of all buck-doe chases caught on camera per day over the 12-year period 2012 to 2023. Although I had assumed our peak breeding fell somewhere around November 10-20, I now think the below graph just shows a typical left-skewed breeding curve of an area with a balanced adult deer population, both balanced sexually and by age. Breeding takes off fast (around the last days of October), shoots up to a peak around Nov. 17, and then slowly falls, ending in mid-December. In most of the balanced deer herds I've studied, 95% of conceptions fall within a 5-6 window, and it appears my place is similar to those, with the peak days skewed earlier in the process.
Interesting how wood scrape activity increases during rut.

BSK

Going on pictures alone most on field edges are at night. The few daytime pictures are when you would expect during a short window of the rut . I'm sure it happens but just not much where I hunt.
We get a fair number of field-edge scrape visits in daylight in October, before we start hunting, but after we start hunting they fall off fast.

mr.big

There's about 25 acres of hayfield around my house. I've watched bucks use the same 2 scrapes on the edge of the field under a cedar tree and a small oak at all hours of the day for 23 years. They never make new ones , there's no telling how many different bucks I've seen use them in daylight over the years

Bone Collector

Early in my hunting career, I read and heard other hunters say to ignore field-edge scrapes - such as those on the edges of pastures, ag fields, and food plots - because bucks only use those at night. The only scrapes worth hunting are those "back in the woods."

So what say you? Are field-edge scrapes not worth hunting?

I currently compiling data from all my years of monitoring scrapes with trail-cameras see how "true" this idea is. As soon as I'm done, I'll post the numbers (as well as the methodology).
I killed a buck for sure many years ago (2007) that was following a scrape line along the edge of a field. Public land buck. Not huge but beat a deer in a fight (heard it) then followed the scrape line and eventually passed by at 15 yds.

Latest posts