Field-edge scrapes versus woods scrapes

BSK

Early in my hunting career, I read and heard other hunters say to ignore field-edge scrapes - such as those on the edges of pastures, ag fields, and food plots - because bucks only use those at night. The only scrapes worth hunting are those "back in the woods."

So what say you? Are field-edge scrapes not worth hunting?

I currently compiling data from all my years of monitoring scrapes with trail-cameras see how "true" this idea is. As soon as I'm done, I'll post the numbers (as well as the methodology).

Lost Lake

One of the most productive spots I've ever hunted is about 40 yards back in the woods from a field that's been fallow now for about six years. Right on that field edge is a huge scrape that seems to draw more activity than I've ever seen at any scrape during daylight hours. Even before the field grew up, it was a hotspot. It's still fairly open compared to woods, but older bucks seem to be more visible during daylight hours with the thicker cover a few yards away.

When the wind is good for that spot, it's an awesome place to be during early November.

Madbowh

Early in my hunting career, I read and heard other hunters say to ignore field-edge scrapes - such as those on the edges of pastures, ag fields, and food plots - because bucks only use those at night. The only scrapes worth hunting are those "back in the woods."

So what say you? Are field-edge scrapes not worth hunting?

I currently compiling data from all my years of monitoring scrapes with trail-cameras see how "true" this idea is. As soon as I'm done, I'll post the numbers (as well as the methodology).
I think field edge scrapes to me seem to be more a community scrape where in the woods I think are more specific to each deer or when in heat.

Had a doe pass up a edge scrape to make her own then the next day nice one right on her when they come by.

I think you'll have more sightings at field edge scrapes but better chances at a nicer deer in the woods.

I think this is average, either could be good you never really know. Just my opinion

Creek bottoms

One of the most productive spots I've ever hunted is about 40 yards back in the woods from a field that's been fallow now for about six years. Right on that field edge is a huge scrape that seems to draw more activity than I've ever seen at any scrape during daylight hours. Even before the field grew up, it was a hotspot. It's still fairly open compared to woods, but older bucks seem to be more visible during daylight hours with the thicker cover a few yards away.

When the wind is good for that spot, it's an awesome place to be during early November.
Old, grown up fields are great. I think that's different than a pasture field. Until I'm proven wrong, I believe pasture/open field scrapes are night time sign. A good buck just isn't likely to expose himself. My 2 cents and I may be incorrect.

deerhunter10

Overgrown field edges are some of our most productive. Our scrapes in the woods don't seem to get hit as often, but when they are hot they are on fire for 24 to 72 hours. When that "2nd rut" hits we notice way more scrapes getting hit on community scrapes and generally those are on field or food plot edges. I heard that growing up never put any thought to it.

BSK

Every year, after the camera season is over, I go through all of the images/videos and record every buck "event" picked up on camera, and then enter data about that event into a big spreadsheet. Originally, I was interested in the times of day I get bucks on camera, as well as any differences in those times based on "what the camera is pointed at." I've also been analyzing the number of buck events I pick up per day, looking for repeating patterns of high buck activity that occur on traditional dates. As for what data is recorded, it includes the date, the exact time (and camera clocks are checked every week to make sure the time on the camera is correct), the type of camera set-up (what the camera is pointed at), and the buck's age (yearling, middle-aged [2 1/2 and 3 1/2] or mature [4 1/2+]), the bucks actions (just travelling through, feeding, chasing, sparring, working a scrape, etc.), and then I have a complicated check to see if that event is occurring during legal hunting hours (even time is checked against a sunrise/sunset table for that date and location).

One of my common camera set-ups is food plot edge scrapes. And I set up cameras in these types of locations usually pointing the camera through the scrape and out into the food plot, allowing me to collect data from both "attractants." I can differentiate which attractant the buck is using by the category of what the buck is doing. The same is true of any "woods" scrapes I'm monitoring. By looking for ONLY those buck events where I've indicated the buck is working the scrape, I can eliminate all of the times bucks are just "walking by" or feeding in the background.

So, looking at scrapes being worked by bucks on the edge of an open area (no cover - usually mowed area or food plot) versus scrapes "back in the woods," below is the percentage of these scrape interactions that occur during legal daylight for that date. I was really surprised. I expected the difference to be much greater. But for each age-grouping, field-edge scrapes only see about 10% less daylight activity. What did NOT surprise me was the obvious; the older a buck is, the less likely he works any scrape in daylight.

Attachments

• DaylightScraping.jpg
    DaylightScraping.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 18

BSK

However, I was very much surprised by the difference in daylight scraping (field-edge vs woods scrapes) based on month, for older-age bucks (2 1/2+ year-olds). Although the percentages for daylight scraping on "woods" scrapes stays basically the same through the full season, daylight scraping on field-edge scrapes declines dramatically as the season progresses. The effects of hunting pressure?

Attachments

• DaylightScrapeMonth.jpg
    DaylightScrapeMonth.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14

backyardtndeer

I have never heard anyone say that, but I would say it's total bs.

My scrapeline camera is on an edge where I normally have clover. It gets scrape activity day and night. And not just young bucks, my target buck this year hit the scrapeline multiple times in daylight.
23103013454801001646.jpg

backyardtndeer

Although the percentages for daylight scraping on "woods" scrapes stays basically the same through the full season, daylight scraping on field-edge scrapes declines dramatically as the season progresses. The effects of hunting pressure?
Not sure there was a significant decline on the scrapeline I have this camera on, if there was a decline it was not much. Still got pics of mature bucks during daylight at that camera well into the season. Remember that we are in cwd unit where rifle opens immediately following the juvenile hunt. My wife and I both also killed mature bucks from the same field early on. I did run a cell cam there, and we didn't put a lot of pressure on the deer. Being less intrusive checking the camera may have helped.

Here is another daytime mature buck, that I have downloaded on my phone, a little later in the season at the scrapeline. I saw this deer and passed him, shot video of him. A nice big 6. I have several pics of a couple other mature bucks also there during daylight.
23112506301001002775.jpg

yellalinehunter

However, I was very much surprised by the difference in daylight scraping (field-edge vs woods scrapes) based on month, for older-age bucks (2 1/2+ year-olds). Although the percentages for daylight scraping on "woods" scrapes stays basically the same through the full season, daylight scraping on field-edge scrapes declines dramatically as the season progresses. The effects of hunting pressure?
Amazing data!! Would like to see rut observation overlayed to see if that followed the curve

Tenntrapper

I don't run a bunch of cameras or keep any record of the data. But...I agree. I usually put a camera on a scrape thats on the edge of a hay field. Early in the season, I get a bunch of daytime pics of bucks. As the season progresses, it becomes mostly a nocturnal scrape. A few does may hit it early in the morning, but 90+ percent of my pics will be at night.
I've been putting a camera there for close to 10 years, seems pretty consistent. I'm not as educated on deer behavior as most on here, but I was just surprised that the keep putting that scrape in the same place year after year.

kaizen leader

Thank you again for your very personal data. Much appreciated.

BSK

yellalinehunter,

Below is a graph of all buck-doe chases caught on camera per day over the 12-year period 2012 to 2023. Although I had assumed our peak breeding fell somewhere around November 10-20, I now think the below graph just shows a typical left-skewed breeding curve of an area with a balanced adult deer population, both balanced sexually and by age. Breeding takes off fast (around the last days of October), shoots up to a peak around Nov. 17, and then slowly falls, ending in mid-December. In most of the balanced deer herds I've studied, 95% of conceptions fall within a 5-6 window, and it appears my place is similar to those, with the peak days skewed earlier in the process.

Attachments

• Chases.jpg
    Chases.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Latest posts