Mock scrapes

Ski

In my experience location is the most important thing. I've done them with scents added, scent drippers, urinating in them, and nothing at all. I can't tell you with any certainty that anything added makes any difference. Location makes the single biggest difference. I like putting them pretty much anywhere a deer will pause to look around before continuing on, whether that be a transition, creek crossing, mineral site, food plot edge, trail convergence, etc. I want a mock scrape in their face. They'll going to pause there for a moment anyway so the scrape gives them something to fidget with while I draw my bow. And once the first one or two hit it, they'll all start hitting it.

On the flip, if the mock scrape isn't put where it'll be in the deer's faces it won't matter what or how much scent you add. It won't work. I've never had a mock scrape attract deer to it that weren't already traveling by it in the first place. It has to be convenient. Like they say, "out of sight out of mind." Perfect saying for mock scrapes. They have to be visible enough the deer can't ignore it or they will.

Antler Daddy

Im usually just a piss in it and go type person. Figured I'd try a product for early season this year, what's y'all go to? I'm seeing alot of buzz from black widow branch butter
The most important aspect in my opinion is the branch. It is amazing how they find it. Let me know where you put those on LH.

Coker

There is a lot of gimmicks out there that are a waste of time and money. IMO, a mock scrape needs to have 2 things to be successful:
1. Location......not only in the vicinity of travelling deer but in the correct topography (ex. ridge shelf, field edge, creek bottom...etc)
Most locations that I have found scrapes are on flat ground near a transition area
2. Hanging branch over the scrape......as or more important or more than #1
I have made many moc scrapes using just about any scent you can find. What I have learned is that scent does not matter if you have #1 and #2 above. Deer will leave their own scent. Therefore, "fake" scents are not needed.
I hunted the same 250 acres for 25+ years and realized that deer will come back to the same location each year to visit scrapes. I would usually make my moc scrapes starting in mid October. If I was running late on getting them made, deer would have already made them for me.
The pics are of the 2 most used moc scrapes that I made and you can see that deer returned to them multiple years

Attachments

• IMG_0012A.JPG
    IMG_0012A.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 30

BSK

Just remember that scrapes are made in fall under existing licking branches. The licking branches are used year-round while the scrape only in fall.

All I've used is my own pee and it works great. However, the bucks are drawn by the testosterone, and as I age my blood T has dropped and my pee isn't as attractive as when I was in my 30s!

But I've got traditional scrapes the buck are still tearing up 20+ years after I first started them.

tellico4x4

Especially if they're know it all teenagers
2 are in their early twenties & other is 12. I'll have to get the older ones. I was aggravating the younger one about a cute little girl here while back & he got mad and said " Papa, I haven't even went thru puberty yet" 😂🤣 At 12, I had no clue what puberty was! If someone had taken the time to explain it instead of giving me a book and saying "read it", I'd thought it was some kind of awful disease! Thinking back, maybe it was....sure got me in a lot of trouble!

Last edited:

Snake

I've used attractants over the years but never seen any difference from when I pee in them. The only concern I have with myself peeing in them is they'll know a stud buck is in the area and I hope it doesn't run them out of there.
Most likely 🤣🤣🤣 but before @Hduke86 & @gasman responds I'm out !!!

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've used attractants over the years but never seen any difference from when I pee in them. The only concern I have with myself peeing in them is they'll know a stud buck is in the area and I hope it doesn't run them out of there.
It will confuse them when they see you squatting to pee. :)

Hduke86

You're the Caitlyn Jenner of deer. The only thing you're going to attract is a fruity unicorn.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I went to a Kishels Scents seminar one time and a lot of what they said seemed to make sense. I used their mock scrape kit for a while but haven't since the whole synthetic only scent thing came about.

@fulldraw

I went to a Kishels Scents seminar one time and a lot of what they said seemed to make sense. I used their mock scrape kit for a while but haven't since the whole synthetic only scent thing came about.

Only urine has to be synthetic according to hunting guide.

Latest posts