Judging Antler Spreading the Field

Andy S.

Said buck is going to have to parade out in an opening (field, etc) nonchalantly, turn broadside, look at the fortunate hunter, perk his ears up, stand there for 10-15 seconds, and give the hunter ample time to decipher 2" and make a decision. 95% of hunters will never experience this rare occurrence, and 95% of hunters could not not accurately decipher the 2" difference if given the opportunity. I've deer hunted in TN 30 years and what I just described does not happen very often.

Is your question in regards to PI quota buck hunt antler restrictions?

megalomaniac

Never judge spread from behind. ONLY looking at you. Do it enough and you won't miss by more than an inch in either direction. Like backyardtn said, a deers ears should be 16in when alert from tip to tip.... the key is making sure when judging one ear isnt laid off to the side or the head is at an angle which can throw you off.

TheLBLman

Like backyardtn said, a deers ears should be 16in when alert from tip to tip.... the key is making sure when judging one ear isnt laid off to the side or the head is at an angle which can throw you off.
Tip to Tip ear width is a good rule of thumb for 15-16" antler spreads.
But it's not perfect.

You can gain accuracy by years of observations, but I've yet to not be periodically fooled.
Hawk may tell you I'm fooled often or always a fool :)

Trying to decipher whether 19", 18", or 20" is something I find much harder than guessing over 15 or 16".

One big issue not mentioned is the size of the deer's head (and body for that matter).

Just like people, some bucks haver really big heads, big ears, and a tip-to-tip ear width 2-3" wider than a deer with a smaller head & smaller ears.

TheLBLman

When you have lots of trail cam pics of a particular buck, and frames of reference as to his body & head size (as compared to other deer around him in same pics), THEN, yes, even I can usually guess the width within an inch on a 20" wide buck.

But if you're on a hunt, and a buck (you've never seen before or have a pic) comes by,
much, much harder to accurately guess width. Near impossible with only a side view.

Hawk

Said buck is going to have to parade out in an opening (field, etc) nonchalantly, turn broadside, look at the fortunate hunter, perk his ears up, stand there for 10-15 seconds, and give the hunter ample time to decipher 2" and make a decision. 95% of hunters will never experience this rare occurrence, and 95% of hunters could not not accurately decipher the 2" difference if given the opportunity. I've deer hunted in TN 30 years and what I just described does not happen very often.

Is your question in regards to PI quota buck hunt antler restrictions?
Regards to Moss Island and Ernest Rice hunts tomorrow. 9 points minimum or 20 in spread.

Ski

Regards to Moss Island and Ernest Rice hunts tomorrow. 9 points minimum or 20 in spread.

A lil off topic but antler restrictions are asinine. If a hunter is good enough to accurately judge rack width then the hunter is more than good enough to judge buck age, which IMO should be the criteria. Look how many old giant 8pt bucks are in the 8pt thread right now that don't have 20" spread. They'd be illegal on that hunt.

TheLBLman

How many realize that the average buck entered into the B& C record book, all across America, does NOT have a 20" spread!

That's right.
Most B&C bucks do not have a 20" spread.
They are less than that.

Does requiring a 20" spread make sense?

Just another stupid antler criteria that contributes to high-grading the best antlered young bucks, since of those that have 20", most of those will have it by Age 3 1/2 if not 2 1/2?

Last edited:

Ski

How many realize that the average buck entered into the B& C record book, all across America, does NOT have a 20" spread!

That's right.
Most B&C bucks do not have a 20" spread.
They are less than that.

Does requiring a 20" spread make sense?

Just another stupid antler criteria that contributes to high-grading the best antlered young bucks, since of those that have 20", most of those will have it by Age 3 1/2 if not 2 1/2?

Yeah it really is senseless. By that criteria a 2.5yr old 100" 10pt is legal but a 6.5yr old 140" 8pt isn't. Worse yet the 100" 2yr olds are far more abundant so guess what gets killed the most? Crazy.

Hawk

A lil off topic but antler restrictions are asinine. If a hunter is good enough to accurately judge rack width then the hunter is more than good enough to judge buck age, which IMO should be the criteria. Look how many old giant 8pt bucks are in the 8pt thread right now that don't have 20" spread. They'd be illegal on that hunt.
They are some really big eight point deer on these properties that will get you a ticket. Likely in the 140's

Madbowh

if you are looking at the spread for it being legal to shoot imo I would forget it. From experience is not worth the risk, if it is for personal reasons outside the ears is usually min 15" that's as far as I'd go with it.

backyardtndeer

Man that used to do our taxidermy had one in his shop that his son killed, I believe at Moss. Best as I recall it was a squeaker by the 20 inch rule, it did not have enough points. From the story he told me, his son was really worried after he shot it, that it didn't make criteria. The deer was very young, antlers went straight out, may have been 85-90 inches. Got me to wondering what the penalty would be for a hunter who kills one that doesn't meet criteria.

Honestly think it's a stupid rule.

yellalinehunter

If TWRA wants to implement restrictions then you should have to pass a timed age identification test. Then you would be responsible for mature deer

Snake

Always take a tape measure and when he's expired measure the futherest width , the most accurate way .😁 All jokes aside the advice given here will get you close given the time but most bucks don't give you the time . By measuring bucks that have been killed by you or other hunters consistently and keeping mental notes of your measuring should help in field judging .

UpperTully

He's a little back story on that stupid rule..

The 20" rule was a shot in the dark suggestion by TWRA's not so great, Region 1 Wildlife Manager, Jim Hamlington. Mr Hamlington came before the Commission about 5 years ago and presented a 20" inside spread rule for the Ms River WMA's. When Commissioner Jim Cox asked Mr Hamlington what data he had to support this? He simple said "Daniel will be setting some trail cameras out on Presidents Island to see what we have, but I heard there is a few big 8s out there"

Mr. Hamlington didn't have an ounce of data to present nor factual justification for this absurd width.

Mr Cox then negotiated the rule down to 20" outside spread.

From my observations that day, Mr Hamlington wouldn't know a buck with a 20" spread if it ran over him, but he could dang sure spot a triple cheese burger from a mile away.

Latest posts