"Good ole days of deer hunting"

Bone Collector

I've been thinking about this lately more and more and been thinking about making this post. This post is not to start a debate. It is just my opinion. You can add yours, if you want, but again, it is not to start a debate, just stuff I have been thinking about.

The reason I decided to post this is the, "2 buck limit saves another", the "Freezer trophy vs. Wall trophy", and the "37+ years of deer hunting" threads.

I am on this forum, and several private groups on FB and they all talk about the same things. The buck limit, meat hunters vs. trophy hunters, whether you should be passing small bucks, etc. etc. I have heard on there and here, hunters (trying to be optimistic I assume) saying we are in "the good ole days of deer hunting." This claim is made because we have an abundance of deer in most areas of the state and even in the areas that we don't we probably have more deer now than say 20 years ago. I've been thinking a lot lately about taking my 5 year old hunting this year a couple of times and decided if a young buck walks out and he wants me to shoot, I am burning my last tag. Normally I would not (my preference) but in thinking about this, I also have been thinking are we really in the "good ole days of deer hunting." The more I think about it the less I agree. You see with the prospect of shooting that smaller deer (if it should work out like that) the more I realize that when I post about the experience and the memories made THERE WILL be those that will say (either here or on FB) something negative about MY CHOICE to shoot that buck and that I should have shot a doe instead. However I have decided, I am not shooting any does on my land this year and I'm sticking to it (at least I think I am :D ).
The more I think about that, the more I think back to better times IMO when you could just go knock on a door and get permission to hunt. We all had plenty of places to go. We took kids hunting and when we killed a deer we were happy with it, no matter what it was. Now don't get me wrong we were happier with a big buck, but that wasn't the aim. We just viewed it as luck that we were graced with the opportunity to kill a big one. IMO those were the "good ole days of deer hunting".

Over the last 15 years or so, hunting has become a competition. Some are more open about their competitive nature than others, but it has become about how big a buck you can kill. Land has disappeared for reasons out of anyone's control, but the most prime spots and really any private land out there is now sought after for leases, thus pushing folks that do not want to pay to play off. In short we have literally pushed people out of the sport and in turn they didn't get their kids into it. Couple that with kids being more and more "indoor kids" and helicopter moms not wanting their kids to get hurt, and I'd say we are in the "downfall days of deer hunting". With more and more states going to the trophy mentality and people here wanting to go to a 1 buck limit in hopes that it will produce more big bucks and make TN a big buck state, land prices will continue to increase, and more people will quit hunting. I can't see how that is the "good ole days of deer hunting". I miss the days of killing what came by and being happy with a successful hunt and BTW the level of ease does not dictate whether it was successful hunt or not. We all kill deer. None of us go to just watch deer. Sometimes it turns out that way because we decide we don;t want to shoot any for whatever reason, but eventually we all pull the trigger or release an arrow and kill a deer. I think if we want to get back to the "good ole days of deer hunting" and I think we can, we just need to get back to hunting and treating every hunt we kill or see a deer as a success. Even if it is super easy to succeed. Remember deer hunting is supposed to be relaxing not frustrating and stressful.

Again, not a debate, and I know everyone will not agree, but just something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Enjoy the Christmas seasons with your families and the last few days of deer season. Try to take a kid if you can and shoot a deer, because that is what you are there to do and yo may just add a new member to our ranks.

Jcalder

Re: "Good ole days of deer hunting"

Those days are long gone. When I first started hunting everyone was happy if you killed a buck. No one asked what it would score. Just how many points and what did it weigh.

Much like you I've took my 8 year old daughter a few times. She asks every summer if she can go and I tell her after bow season you can go all you want. We've seen a few deer and had a chance to kill a doe during muzzleloader season and I wouldn't shoot it. Honestly she wasn't too interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDUB

I think this is the good ole days for almost all TN wildlife. TWRA has done a great job of restocking and managing compared to 40 years ago. The only exception may be the roughed grouse. Haven't seen one of them in a while. Could be due to competition from turkeys or more egg eaters (coyotes, coons, skunks. Etc). If a small buck would make you happy then take one. Don't worry about negative comments from others.

Mike Belt

There are a lot of things that have changed over the last 20 years. Economics is one of them. I know there are people that frown on leases and make the claim that it has been the beginning of the downfall of deer hunting but I can't really blame those landowners doing so. The better the land is suited to growing deer usually the more expensive it is to lease. Like it or not, deer is a commodity and you're going to pay more for a Cadillac than a Ford. When you do, you're probably of the mind set to optimize your investment by growing more deer and older, bigger deer. I think the major flaw in deer hunting today is the conflict in just how far to go and how exactly to go about this, particularly concerning neighboring properties. That "conflict" then spreads across property lines like some kind of cancerous growth until it becomes all consuming. That is what stands in the way of the good old days of deer hunting and it can be a chore to keep from getting swept up in all the rhetoric.

Tennessee Lead

Re: "Good ole days of deer hunting"

BC you nailed it sadly
The good ole days are gone. Places to hunt were abundant back then. A deer was a deer regardless of what it was.

MXB 400

Well said brother I couldn't agree more. My 9 year old granddaughter has been hunting with me for 2 years now and I always let her decide what deer to take when she's hunting with me. I try and make it fun for her to be in the woods so she will keep hunting. I love nothing more than killing a big buck but I've also learned to be content with what the GOOD LORD PROVIDES big or small doe or buck. GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GRIT

Ah the good ole days when you killed a 4pointer and had a smile from ear to ear in the pic .That's when i had the most fun.Now days people keep it quiet when they shoot a 4 pointer because of what others think that's not how it's supposed to be. I bought into all of that crap and now it's no fun any more.I still think the 80s and 90s was the best deer hunting we will ever see.

Rjratliff1975

Bone Collector":15cpoc9r said:
I've been thinking about this lately more and more and been thinking about making this post. This post is not to start a debate. It is just my opinion. You can add yours, if you want, but again, it is not to start a debate, just stuff I have been thinking about.

The reason I decided to post this is the, "2 buck limit saves another", the "Freezer trophy vs. Wall trophy", and the "37+ years of deer hunting" threads.

I am on this forum, and several private groups on FB and they all talk about the same things. The buck limit, meat hunters vs. trophy hunters, whether you should be passing small bucks, etc. etc. I have heard on there and here, hunters (trying to be optimistic I assume) saying we are in "the good ole days of deer hunting." This claim is made because we have an abundance of deer in most areas of the state and even in the areas that we don't we probably have more deer now than say 20 years ago. I've been thinking a lot lately about taking my 5 year old hunting this year a couple of times and decided if a young buck walks out and he wants me to shoot, I am burning my last tag. Normally I would not (my preference) but in thinking about this, I also have been thinking are we really in the "good ole days of deer hunting." The more I think about it the less I agree. You see with the prospect of shooting that smaller deer (if it should work out like that) the more I realize that when I post about the experience and the memories made THERE WILL be those that will say (either here or on FB) something negative about MY CHOICE to shoot that buck and that I should have shot a doe instead. However I have decided, I am not shooting any does on my land this year and I'm sticking to it (at least I think I am :D ).
The more I think about that, the more I think back to better times IMO when you could just go knock on a door and get permission to hunt. We all had plenty of places to go. We took kids hunting and when we killed a deer we were happy with it, no matter what it was. Now don't get me wrong we were happier with a big buck, but that wasn't the aim. We just viewed it as luck that we were graced with the opportunity to kill a big one. IMO those were the "good ole days of deer hunting".

Over the last 15 years or so, hunting has become a competition. Some are more open about their competitive nature than others, but it has become about how big a buck you can kill. Land has disappeared for reasons out of anyone's control, but the most prime spots and really any private land out there is now sought after for leases, thus pushing folks that do not want to pay to play off. In short we have literally pushed people out of the sport and in turn they didn't get their kids into it. Couple that with kids being more and more "indoor kids" and helicopter moms not wanting their kids to get hurt, and I'd say we are in the "downfall days of deer hunting". With more and more states going to the trophy mentality and people here wanting to go to a 1 buck limit in hopes that it will produce more big bucks and make TN a big buck state, land prices will continue to increase, and more people will quit hunting. I can't see how that is the "good ole days of deer hunting". I miss the days of killing what came by and being happy with a successful hunt and BTW the level of ease does not dictate whether it was successful hunt or not. We all kill deer. None of us go to just watch deer. Sometimes it turns out that way because we decide we don;t want to shoot any for whatever reason, but eventually we all pull the trigger or release an arrow and kill a deer. I think if we want to get back to the "good ole days of deer hunting" and I think we can, we just need to get back to hunting and treating every hunt we kill or see a deer as a success. Even if it is super easy to succeed. Remember deer hunting is supposed to be relaxing not frustrating and stressful.

Again, not a debate, and I know everyone will not agree, but just something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Enjoy the Christmas seasons with your families and the last few days of deer season. Try to take a kid if you can and shoot a deer, because that is what you are there to do and yo may just add a new member to our ranks.
Great post!

duckduck84

You hit a lot of how I feel spot on. Ive been pretty open this season about how frustrated I've been not even seeing deer. I would be positively giddy to shoot any legal deer, but I doubt I would post a small buck on here just because it seems like the prevailing mentality is big buck.

I mean no disrespect to anyone or their habits but I can't wrap my mind around the shooting of double digit deer in a season or the "I let an 8 point walk today. Just wasn't a shooter" crowd. My goal has always been 2 deer for the freezer maybe 3 then I'm done for the season. Unfortunately my seasons just seem to run the entire length of gun because I'm not seeing them.

I guess it all just boils down to why you hunt and what you see. I would be beside myself just to see a deer each hunt, let alone have the option to be picky.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bone Collector

CDUB":23kzcszc said:
I think this is the good ole days for almost all TN wildlife. TWRA has done a great job of restocking and managing compared to 40 years ago. The only exception may be the roughed grouse. Haven't seen one of them in a while. Could be due to competition from turkeys or more egg eaters (coyotes, coons, skunks. Etc). If a small buck would make you happy then take one. Don't worry about negative comments from others.

I agree with you from this standpoint and mentioned that in the post. People say we are in the good ole days, due to the abundance of deer. I also agree with you on the negative comments and not caring about them, but like Mike Belt said, the problem is all these people who don't know when to stop and think their management philosophies extend across fence line and the whole state for that matter.

I understand hunting by permission is pretty much of the past, unless you know someone with land that doesn't hunt. I also do not blame land owner's for wanting to make some money off their investment, but a recreational hunting lease should be around $4-5 an acre and due to people being hyper competitive over deer hunting and having the mentality that they will do whatever it takes to slant the odds in their favor, they swoop in and offer $10-15 an acre, which is higher than most can pay. The only ones that benefit is the ones that can afford those prices and that is what will be the death of the sport. Not land leasing, but over paying for leases and driving the prices up in the market.

If everyone would just get back to being happy with killing deer, and the comradery of hunting with people you like and love, the prices would eventually drop as people will just not be willing to pay those prices.

Before anyone says it can't happen, IMO I don't think there is ever a point of no return and you can change the path you are on. Of course if enough people quit and they outlaw hunting then obviously then it is too late.

Rjratliff1975

CDUB":1fk0pbs4 said:
Great post also! I have actually saw 4 grouse this year! That is by far the most I have ever seen in the 19 years of living in East TN. Hope they are making a comeback too!

Riverday

I still feel we are in the good old days of deer hunting, we have a hunting club and have great fellowship and not a whole lot of rules in how we hunt....lot's of fun...i feel hunting is all about what you make of it...Most of us in our group are a lot older now and now we enjoy all the grandkids hunting ...I guess what makes it so much better for us is we have a hunting cabin... Teaching our kids is still part of the good old days...don't forget that...

AT Hiker

"Good ole days of deer hunting"

Your post is sincere and I think we can all relate to it in some fashion.
I will say this though; the lease/land holders are a huge part of why we have abundant game in some places. They took the time and resources (money) to improve habitat and in conjunction with TWRA have made for some excellent hunting. Sure, back in the day I had a ton of free land to hunt but most of that land was void of game. Now I have lost most of my private land connections but the public land I hunt is far better than the private land I used to hunt.

**in addition, I think you are seeing a transition in hunting in TN. Those big antlers are now a real possibility here for hunters to kill and mind sets have changed.

Latest posts