Game Cameras on public land.

BDS05

I don't have an issue stumbling on cams or stands on public.

However, I personally think we as a whole cross the line when utilizing cell cams on private or public. I realize this will be an unpopular opinion.

BSK

They don't bother me. They're not taking anything from me. They're not hurting me. I don't assume any privacy while I'm on PUBLIC ground, so it doesn't bother me to walk in front of a camera. It's not like I'm dragging a dead prostitute to a shallow grave. That's what roadside ditches are for. All I'm doing is hunting and unless that camera blocks my shot, it's not in my way.

Cameras don't pattern deer. It doesn't work like that. If somebody hung a cell cam thinking they can know when to hunt a deer, they're going to be sorely disappointed. Chances are pretty good those cams hanging in the wide open for you to see are not looking for deer. They're monitoring hunting pressure. Knowing the number, frequency, and types of hunters using the place is handy when deciding whether to invest time hunting a spot or to check it off the list and move on.

I don't run cell cams and I rarely run a cam on public ground. When I do it's not a cell cam, and I learn everything I need to know within a week or two and remove the camera. I've never hung & left a stand on public. Just because I don't personally do that stuff doesn't mean I have a righteous position to be upset that somebody else does. I don't. I'm one of the many, many, many owners of that ground and they have as much right to use it the way they want as I do. If the high school marching band wanted to parade through a thicket at 7am November 2nd, nobody could stop them. It's public owned land. If you're going to let stuff bother you on public land then you're going to be a miserable hunter and should probably do what it takes to get your own land. Sure if you notice something illegal then report it, but then be done with it and press on. Don't let it irritate you. It's not worth the heightened blood pressure.
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I don't hunt public land, but... This! This! And this! Well said Ski. Too often I hear hunters complaining that trail-cameras are somehow "cheating." I'll bet I've looked at more trail-camera pictures than anyone in TN, and it is extremely rare to find a mature buck that is highly patternable by camera. I'm sure it happens from time to time, especially in more open farm or pasture country (where travel patterns are limited), but in the big woods? Extremely rare.

Ski

What it really does is let's the person know there's particular bucks using the area. Now they know it. Instead of having to put boots on the ground and time in the woods.

And what's the rub with that? You say it like it's a bad thing, like you're judging them for doing things differently than you think they should. Or am I reading that wrong? To me it's just different strokes for different folks. If a guy can buy a $100 camera that tells him where & when to hunt, and has the same or better success than me, then I guess it's probably time for me to change how I do things because I'm not too proud to say his way is better.

Ski

Too often I hear hunters complaining that trail-cameras are somehow "cheating." I'll bet I've looked at more trail-camera pictures than anyone in TN, and it is extremely rare to find a mature buck that is highly patternable by camera. I'm sure it happens from time to time, especially in more open farm or pasture country (where travel patterns are limited), but in the big woods? Extremely rare.

It doesn't matter how much truth you share. People who complain are always going to complain and if your inconvenient truth throws a wrench in their complaint, then they'll argue & complain about you. That's what they do. They complain.

Rackseeker

I hate trail cameras with a passion during hunting season. Before or after season scouting is fine. The problem starts when people put out 10-30 cameras on a piece of property then they start naming the bucks and start getting the notion since they got a pic of it and named the buck , its their buck. If its a non cell cam they ruin a area by going and checking it every few days. Even though where I hunt is a large tract of land I have seen at least 25 trail cams in the woods this year.

BDS05

And what's the rub with that? You say it like it's a bad thing, like you're judging them for doing things differently than you think they should. Or am I reading that wrong? To me it's just different strokes for different folks. If a guy can buy a $100 camera that tells him where & when to hunt, and has the same or better success than me, then I guess it's probably time for me to change how I do things because I'm not too proud to say his way is better.
If you (or anyone for that matter) gets a cell pic of said deer and makes a move to spot X because of such, then kills said deer, is there really nothing to "rub" about?

For conversation, let's say you've got nothing on camera you deemed worth hunting all year then all of a sudden… cell pic, hunt, kill - thanks to nothing other than a cellular camera.

Where do you deem we've crossed a line? I know everyone is different.

Ski

If you (or anyone for that matter) gets a cell pic of said deer and makes a move to spot X because of such, then kills said deer, is there really nothing to "rub" about?

For conversation, let's say you've got nothing on camera you deemed worth hunting all year then all of a sudden… cell pic, hunt, kill - thanks to nothing other than a cellular camera.

Where do you deem we've crossed a line? I know everyone is different.

What I don't understand is why you would care how someone else hunts. It doesn't have any bearing on your hunt, not in your way, and is legal. So why worry about it?

What I deem crossing the line is breaking the law. More specifically if someone ruins my hunt or puts me or mine in danger by breaking a law then a line has been crossed. Otherwise I mind my own business. I really don't understand why folks get upset about cameras.

BDS05

You do you bud. I promise I won't lose any sleep worrying what Ski or anyone else for that matter does with their cell cams.

Rakkin6

Honestly I don't think it should be allowed, I am of the opinion of leave nature how you found it. If it is legal I wouldn't take it down or steal it but I may be tempted to cover it up if I am hunting near it and it would be snapping pictures of me, just something I don't like about that. Or maybe dig a slit trench in front of it JK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ski

You do you bud. I promise I won't lose any sleep worrying what Ski or anyone else for that matter does with their cell cams.

Well on that we agree. Live and let live.

I dont actually run cell cams. Never have. And rarely do I run a cam on public. When I do it's only for few days or week. I'm not defending cell cams on public because it's something I do. I'm only questioning the problem people seem to have with it. I see cams on public all the time and think nothing of it. I guess I just don't understand the issue.

CrossVolle

I would never mess with anyone's camera on public because I just do not care enough. I would also never sit a stand that was hung by anyone else outside of myself and about 2 other people I trust. Don't know how anyone else would either.

themanpcl

Wanting some input on having game cameras on public land. Majority of people say they are against leaving stands on public land. Then why should a cell camera be left in the woods the whole year. Sitting on every game trail you come to. Meanwhile you are out walking and gathering intel. While they guy with a cel came is gathering data 24/7. You can't sit there and relax knowing some unknown individual is sitting there watching you from home. You can't even access the sd card on a cell cam. To see what he's seeing. Meanwhile a stand left out anyone can sit in cause it's public land. I'm looking for an honest opinion not a one sided opinion cause you have cameras out on public. I don't go to public land to have some stranger getting constant photos of me and kid. Area warden said take them if you find them. I'm not gonna do that though.
My opinion: I don't care if someone uses a cell (or other cam) on public all year (if legal to do so). I have hung them before a hunt. As said many times about trail cams, the cam does not guarantee a kill. The person has to get to the spot and hunt it and the deer has to get to the spot to be hunted and that has to happen at the same time...lol... As we have seen in many other threads, someone else may beat you to the spot or hunt it on days when you aren't around so no guarantees. I look at this the same as the debate between long bow, crossbow, compound, rifle, shotgun, muzzelloader..... Will always be a spirited debate and will have different opinions. Trail cams for me are inventory devices. Entertainment if you will. I'm not a fan of messing with someone's legally placed cam on public land. Now, will I have fun with it, you betcha. If I see it before I pass it, I will make sure the owner has a chuckle when they examine the card. Sometimes I put a txt on my phone with my number so they can contact me and we can swap stories if they like.

Madbowh

This is a tough onewith many different opinions, I hunt private and public and use cameras everywhere.
When I am in the woods of I see any gear from someone I back out and move on.

now I might sit in the general area but not consecutively. It is public land and anyone has the right to hunt it while abiding by rules and regulations, even though they can be tough to interpret sometimes.

TO EACH THEIR OWN AND TO EACH BE LEFT ALONE
That's what I say. Why are you going to pull someone's card as you stated, leave another man's stuff alone, problem 1
#2 that's wrong of that game wardens and many others.

I'll tell you and anyone. You hunt how you want and I'll hunt how I want. I won't touch anything of anyone else's nor should you.

Now I have a guy a Catoosa that found my camera and whipped his d*** out. Well my 9yr old was standing right next to me when the video started luckily I turned away fast enough. And he better hope he moves quick if I ever see him. If everyone worries about themselves and let people stuff alone might be a lot of better places to hunt.

Opinions don't matter the law is the law.

Madbowh

What I deem crossing the line is breaking the law. More specifically if someone ruins my hunt or puts me or mine in danger
This right here will get you fined in Colorado, would like to see it elsewhere. I've seen less issues in the woods amongst hunters and gear there and I believe being fined for it is why

BDS05

You obviously are worried about it or you wouldn't have started this conversation.
I obviously didn't start this conversation.

If you worry about everything you don't agree with, I'll wish you luck. I assure you some things aren't THAT big of a deal.

Latest posts