Public land @‘s

Lt.Dan

I wouldn't say that brother. It's just becoming the new norm for me. This is the 3rd time this year someone's acted like that towards me. Honestly almost to the point of hanging it up for a while.
Well if you want to drive 2 hours and come to Chattanooga I have a few good spots on public land that I would be glad to share. Unlike some, I am more than willing to help another hunter out on public land.

killingtime 41

I've got no patience for anything like that. I only hunt public myself. Only way I found to get away from chocolate chip cookie pluckers like that was going on by boat. Public is hammered with people nowadays. There was a time when you'd mostly have places to yourself. But have to always remember it is public and everyone has a right to be there. Nobody has any respect anymore. That's only because they haven't toted an azz woopin in a while. And if I was approached like that I'd say I would have knocked him out.

Ski

Well if you want to drive 2 hours and come to Chattanooga I have a few good spots on public land that I would be glad to share. Unlike some, I am more than willing to help another hunter out on public land.

That's me. Be good to the world and it'll be good to you. I'd rather help somebody than harass them. I guess some folks can't get out of their own way.

ScLowCountry

Maybe his Crown Vic won't start when he gets back. 😉
PXL_20231009_213714468~2.jpg

Stop making fun of people that hunt out of crown vics. That could have been me.

This is my part-time hunting rig. I love pulling up to the parking area in a car. I get so many funny looks.

Gravey

View attachment 203560

Stop making fun of people that hunt out of crown vics. That could have been me.

This is my part-time hunting rig. I love pulling up to the parking area in a car. I get so many funny looks.
Not making fun at all. Was just pointing out for unknown reasons it just might not start when he got back.

When I was in college I had a Ford Probe and strapped a doe across the back glass one time. Gotta make do with what you've got and no shame in that at all.

agelessssone

Sounds like a dandy hunter. If he has been hunting it 20 years he should know to get there earlier than others if he doesn't want to worry about someone in his "spot" . I would never disclose my exact location to someone(especially that guy,Lol)but just say we're I normally hunt and go on to my spot. Every hunter in TN will be out Saturday morning on public , just be prepared for the chaos. Public gets worse every year
That's exactly why I killed out before rifle season.
I always wait and hunt the week before rifle because the bucks will be moving, looking, and chasing. I may not shoot the biggest deer in the woods, but I will get two good deer to the processor before the crazy weekend happens.
Oh, and I'll pickup my processed meat tomorrow before the drop-off line extends back out to the main road on Saturday.

Carlos

I had a Lumina years ago, and I'd reinforced the luggage rack to haul deer with.
I was in my teens, and didn't have a truck for awhile. Hauled several out on top of the trunk, I probably have some pictures of it somewhere.
Different times back then, the World was much better in so many ways.

DMD

I had a Lumina years ago, and I'd reinforced the luggage rack to haul deer with.
I was in my teens, and didn't have a truck for awhile. Hauled several out on top of the trunk, I probably have some pictures of it somewhere.
Different times back then, the World was much better in so many ways.
I had a Mazda hatchback in the 80's. Draped a buck or two over the hood of it.

uncle_loue

boy this resonates. i've only gotten to hunt a couple of times this year due to being short staffed at work. yesterday I was able to take a half day and hunt the afternoon. the site im working at this week had a wma access point a half mile away so i went in at lunch time scouted, found fresh sign about a mile back from the parking area and set up for the evening on a field edge. i tucked up into brush for concealment. about 4pm a tall 8 pt comes walking out on my right and im watching him through the brush. hes got to take maybe 3 more steps and im on him for a clear shot at like 20 ft. well he suddenly stops rigid and i assume hes smelled me but i can feel the wind and its still in my favor. hes close enough i can see plainly hes not looking at me hes staring down the opposite end of the field. i follow his gaze and theres a dog and an older gentleman in jeans and a shirt just walking along. buck turns and trots away.

this older gentleman comes walkin past and sees me and the first words out of his mouth were, "why didn't you shoot that nice buck?"... i was calm and polite but explained that the buck hung up before i had a clear shot because it saw him and and his dog. he goes "well sorry if you think i messed up your hunt. anyhow im walkin my dog this way a bit and ill be coming back through in a few minutes". needless to say my hunt was over.

worst part is there was a greenway access 2 minutes down the road. he could have been walking his dog on the paved greenway trail my tax dollars bought for him but instead hes walking his dog on public hunting land in the middle of deer season. such is public land hunting.

Dennis

The jealousy is hard for me to understand. I remember hunting with dad the first time at 14. Dad had talked about hunting camps he was part of and I naively assumed that anyone's success was everyone's success. I always thought if it like a team sport.

I remember seeing large groups of guys doing deer drives across fields, and I pictured a big celebration at the end where everyone looked at whatever deer got shot and celebrated together.

I still have that mindset. There's been times I walked into public land and spotted someone dragging a deer out. I just naturally grab on and help drag. I don't really think twice about it. Once I saw a hunter obviously struggling to find a blood trail. I was in a tree but immediately got down and showed him where I suspected the deer went. We found blood and I helped him find and haul out that buck. I didn't get to hunt that day but I never felt like I missed out. I was happy to be part of his success. I really don't care if I'm the one pulling the trigger or not.

Tenntrapper

boy this resonates. i've only gotten to hunt a couple of times this year due to being short staffed at work. yesterday I was able to take a half day and hunt the afternoon. the site im working at this week had a wma access point a half mile away so i went in at lunch time scouted, found fresh sign about a mile back from the parking area and set up for the evening on a field edge. i tucked up into brush for concealment. about 4pm a tall 8 pt comes walking out on my right and im watching him through the brush. hes got to take maybe 3 more steps and im on him for a clear shot at like 20 ft. well he suddenly stops rigid and i assume hes smelled me but i can feel the wind and its still in my favor. hes close enough i can see plainly hes not looking at me hes staring down the opposite end of the field. i follow his gaze and theres a dog and an older gentleman in jeans and a shirt just walking along. buck turns and trots away.

this older gentleman comes walkin past and sees me and the first words out of his mouth were, "why didn't you shoot that nice buck?"... i was calm and polite but explained that the buck hung up before i had a clear shot because it saw him and and his dog. he goes "well sorry if you think i messed up your hunt. anyhow im walkin my dog this way a bit and ill be coming back through in a few minutes". needless to say my hunt was over.

worst part is there was a greenway access 2 minutes down the road. he could have been walking his dog on the paved greenway trail my tax dollars bought for him but instead hes walking his dog on public hunting land in the middle of deer season. such is public land hunting.
Was it a wma or public land? You said both. I only question because WMAs are usually closed to everyone except licensed big game hunters... during big game hunts.

killingtime 41

Back then we drove vehicles for transportation. They didn't cost as much as our homes, maybe 10% or thereabouts.
You ain't kidding I've never owned a brand new truck probably never will. Value go's down as soon as you pull off the lot. I bought a 2012 f250 few years ago from a friend. That's as new of a vehicle as I've ever owned. I paid 1,000 dollars for my first truck 1977 ford f150 4x4. 4 speed with granny low gear. You could put it in low let out the clutch. Step out of the truck and it would creep up steep grades. Never spinning a tire. I still love those old pickups. Ah the smell of gasoline. And easy to work on.

DMD

The jealousy is hard for me to understand. I remember hunting with dad the first time at 14. Dad had talked about hunting camps he was part of and I naively assumed that anyone's success was everyone's success. I always thought if it like a team sport.

I remember seeing large groups of guys doing deer drives across fields, and I pictured a big celebration at the end where everyone looked at whatever deer got shot and celebrated together.

I still have that mindset. There's been times I walked into public land and spotted someone dragging a deer out. I just naturally grab on and help drag. I don't really think twice about it. Once I saw a hunter obviously struggling to find a blood trail. I was in a tree but immediately got down and showed him where I suspected the deer went. We found blood and I helped him find and haul out that buck. I didn't get to hunt that day but I never felt like I missed out. I was happy to be part of his success. I really don't care if I'm the one pulling the trigger or not.
This is exactly how it should be. 👍👍

Latest posts