Public Land Kill Opinion

tree_ghost

I've been actively trying to kill a 160" deer in Tennessee for a long time... I have some pretty good ground spread across 5 counties with the best genetics according to the record books of Tn. It took me almost 10 years to locate a buck that was over 160" and kill him with my bow. I'm not saying that 160" deer aren't out there, because they are, but it takes a lot of genetics and a lot of time to get that much bone growth. Shoot what makes you happy and hunt in accordance with your goals.

Mattt

Let me begin by saying i have been hunting a piece of public for about 6 years now in the same general area. I have a couple cameras out and i have noticed that about every 2 to 3 years there is a new generation of bucks that stick around before they keave or are killed off.
Today i had an exciting hunt filled with two young bucks (1-2 years old) fighting, a 2 year old 7 point hanging out under my stand for over 3 minutes, and a spike run through. This afternoon another 2 year old 4 point and one doe that was barely bigger than a german shepard.
My dilemma is on killing young bucks. I can hear the people in the back already saying they kill for the meat and to kill it if i have the chance. For me i want to let the young ones walk so that next year they will be a decent size. Not to mention we only get 2 tags, i gun hunt a large lease with 150s and 160s all over it, and i have a 120-130 8 point on camera.

It feels right to let them walk in the moment but afterwards when i dont see a doe or a decent buck i question myself. Should i waste the tag on the young buck or am i over thunking it? Pictures of the 8 on camera and the young 7 today.View attachment 201175View attachment 201176
Where you located? Rack looks familiar.

Attachments

• 1A3E6359-80D3-449A-947F-EC8950898DF4.jpeg
    1A3E6359-80D3-449A-947F-EC8950898DF4.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 27

TonyB

So then you dont have a lease lol. Just hunt public and kill what makes you happy man. No need to ask our permission to kill young bucks on public. Kill what you want. That's why it's public
"Not to mention we only get 2 tags, i gun hunt a large lease with 150s and 160s all over it, and i have a 120-130 8 point on camera." I said i hunt a large lease, not that i have a lease or have killed 150 or 160s on it. Thanks for the input though.

TonyB

Shoot whatever you want. The absolute last thing you should do is worry about whether people on an internet forum agree with what you shot or didn't shoot. If you've got 150s and 160s on a lease and you pass up a little buck to hold out for one of those, I hope you get it!
Agree. Was just asking if anyone else deals with a similar problem. I know that no one really knows me personally but if they did they woulf know i dont care what others think about me. I wanted to know if other hunters deal with similar issues and get hung woth tags or of they would rather kill what walks. Just wondering.. thanks for the input!

TonyB

I've been actively trying to kill a 160" deer in Tennessee for a long time... I have some pretty good ground spread across 5 counties with the best genetics according to the record books of Tn. It took me almost 10 years to locate a buck that was over 160" and kill him with my bow. I'm not saying that 160" deer aren't out there, because they are, but it takes a lot of genetics and a lot of time to get that much bone growth. Shoot what makes you happy and hunt in accordance with your goals.
Agree hard to find. There have been two bucks killed on the property measuring 152 and 156 the last two years. I have seen pictures of others that look bigger than the ones killed but we know how that goes. I am certainly not the best at judging age or measurements off picture but i would certainly say 140 to 150 for sure.

killingtime 41

Answer to your question in my personal experience is yes I eat tags every year. Doesn't bother me cause it's usually a conscious decision that made me eat tag soup. I really think doe's taste better in my opinion. That's why I'm selective most of the time. And all I hunt is public. I usually just hope it makes it till next year. Or a youngster crosses paths with it. Or it's a grown man's first buck. No shame either way you go.

DoubleRidge

I've had tags left over at the end of the year many times...doesnt bother me a bit...everyone is at a different place on their journey....my goal is to kill one mature buck each year....and occasionally I'll kill two....but some years zero.
In your case, if I knew I had a chance to hunt a lease that had an older age class of bucks l would absolutely save a tag....and if that tag remains unfilled at seasons end....well, thats part of chasing mature bucks...good luck hunting!

Snake

Not to be a butthead, but last year you shot a basket rack 6 on public land. I'm game for shooting whatever you want and whatever makes you happy. Your post last year seemed like you were pretty excited about it.

Do you have any pics of these 150s or 160s that you're killing??

I killed a basket 8 tonight on wma. I was ecstatic.
Congrats .

Latest posts