FYI, here is a tip

bowhunterfanatic

yeah they caught them around wheeler last year. the bad thing about al is they made gill nets legal again. this one was 30ft from the lock sitting on the bottom. some dude pulled it up when he hung it. i didnt think that was legal even for commercial fishermen.

View attachment 126458
That net wouldn't make it 2 days around the dam at Pickwick. It'd get cut into a million pieces once someone pulled it up. I see a lot of beautiful fish in that net.

BuckWild

the point of eagle island to the bridge. only place we caught them from there to saltillo and they were all males, no females. it was strange. the only thing i could figure they were there to get out of the current to feed. possibly had already spawned since there were no females. usually we would catch them at indian creek but not one fish.

lol 30 years ago pawpaw and i caught 100 head of white cats on that point one week. we fished in my stepdads memorial tournament the next week and didnt catch but two fish. the worst i had ever been skunked but at least we werent last.
The last time I fished there was probably 15 years ago. Me and my Dad started our drift 500 yards south of the island, 30-40 foot of water. Did alright but one time we drifted into 8 foot of water on the point of the island. BAM...scored a double of females. Did another drift and caught one or two but when we hit the shallow water, doubled again. We threw out an anchor and drifted over the spot. We limited out in about an hour. They were in less than 10 foot of water on a clear sunny day, It was crazy.

Smo

yeah they caught them around wheeler last year. the bad thing about al is they made gill nets legal again. this one was 30ft from the lock sitting on the bottom. some dude pulled it up when he hung it. i didnt think that was legal even for commercial fishermen.

View attachment 126458
4" mesh was the rule for Commercial Fisherman if I remember correctly…Nothing smaller
Supposedly No Nets or Line within 800' below the dam..

I always thought about crawling into one while I was mussel diving…I always carried at least 2 knifes… trot lines were bad enough.👍

Last edited:

Latest posts