So Happy it's Here!

rsimms

I LOVE this time of year... when the prespawn crappie begin their annual migration toward spawning grounds and will suck up wayward crappie jigs in a heartbeat!
I made a crappie excursion last week with very poor results. But today I headed to new water on Chickamauga Lake with Ed McCoy. The morning was tough. We started searching on the main lake, looking for fish staging up before they move in. "Slow" was the word, with only three big keepers in two hours of fishing.
We moved back into the creek where the water was slightly warmer and stained. It was a good move! We put a limit in the boat relatively quickly once we moved in, along with quite a few short fish. No doubt the day would have been far more productive if we'd been "on the X" first thing in the morning!
The crappie didn't seem too picky and were eating a selection of baits including Berkley Fishing Powerbait, some on Z-Man Fishing Products and others on my tried & true Crappie Magnets - all rigged on 1/16th ounce Road Runner jigheads. Orange/chartreuse or red/chartreuse seemed to be the preferred color. Early the planer boards were hot but later in the morning the planer boards went quiet and the longlines started producing best. Barring any crazy weather, we're off to a good start for a great bite for the next few weeks. Scenic City Fishing guides still have open dates for crappie. If you want in on it, e-mail me ([email protected]) or call 423-509-4655.

IMG_1333.jpgIMG_6116.jpgIMG_6119.jpg

chimneyman

It's the time of year to fill up the freezer for sure. Tried some of the Z Man jigs lately they are producing pretty good. But still like my Sliders

Headhunter

I miss the "good old days" on Priest. Back in late 80's, early 90's, if we didn't keep at 100 crappie, we had a bad day. We never long lined or trolled, all we did was cast and still fish the same way. We used to wear them out. 1/16" oz jig head and a white twister tail. Like you, I only fished for them when they were getting ready to spawn. I doubt it will ever be the same as it used to be. I used to laugh when people asked me what color, I would say we threw every color made so long it was white. When I go anymore, which is not like I used to, but usually no problem keeping 30 and I still throw white.

WTM

Same down on our end. Female sauger being caught crazy shallow already on our end.
prime time for sauger. went about 30 minutes at dusk, while my wife was resting, to check and see if any crappie are very shallow. caught about a dozen barely 10 inchers on wood in 3ft of water but they are just starting to change color. lots of food in the water.

IMG_1765.png

IMG_1764.png

Latest posts