Ft Campbell Turkey hunting future

gobblinfool

I only hunted Ft Campbell a few times this spring and here were my thoughts

If population is down, why not stop fall turkey hunting for a few years? Wouldn't this open up more deer hunting spots in the fall? What about dropping harvest from 2 birds to 1 in the spring, wouldn't this make it better for all who struggle to "get a spot".

I got area 20 on the last Saturday of the season on post. I drove around it Friday because I had never been there before and wanted to know what it looked like. I saw 2 jakes and a tom about 30 minutes from roost....so I knew they would be there in the a.m. I also saw a truck coming off the same road as I was going in....so I had to assume he saw them as well.

I made up my mind that I would get their first....early bird gets the worm. I told myself if he was there first that I would go to another spot. I got there first and sat patiently. I got my gear together and he pulled in and went down the road 200-300yds from me on the same side of the road??? I thought for sure that he would go to the other side of the road because I was their first. I went to the back of the field where I had seen the birds....it was two field connected by a 25yd pathway....I stood on the pathway and about 430am I used my binos to scan the field....for fear that the other hunter was in there, sure enough, 150yds away was a ground blind with decoys???

I worked a jake later in the morning.......thank goodness I wasn't in my original set up.....because I believe I would have gotten shot by a road hunter. I had a jake gobble himself literally to death, put on quite a show. He was 75yds from me. Jake went into the woods right by my original set up and blam, blam......20 yds from the road, I am guessing someone got lucky when they stopped and heard all the gobbling and snuck in the woods.

I think my lesson learned is to hunt post on weekdays when their are less hunters out and about.

On a positive note.....this should be a great deer season......they are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts