Foggy Leupold scope

alwaysoutdoors

While deer hunting yesterday (foggy, rainy and windy if you don't know in Middle TN), I picked up my gun a few times just to see how how it looked under the weather conditions. It's a Leupold vari x-III 2.5-8x36. Until yesterday, I was very pleased with the scope and was the best scope I've ever owned. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or had ever sent their scope back to Leupold for warranty work.

Specifically, it had condensation on the front and rear glass, I wiped it off ,but it was still foggy , looked like possibly moisture had gotten into the tube, or maybe the gas has leaked out that makes them fog proof. Thanks in advance for any related responses.

LCU

Seal must have failed,and the gas escaped.
Contact Leupold CS for full warranty coverage.

Model70Man

Sounds like you got a defective scope. I'm hearing and reading too much lately of Leupolds failing lately. Hopefully they have gotten their act together with the newer version of the VX-III. For my money, I'm not going to play roulette.

LCU

My Leupold scopes and spotting scopes have never failed.
Sure stuff happens, but it is a rare exception if it does.

Tiny

alwaysoutdoors said:
Specifically, it had condensation on the front and rear glass, I wiped it off ,but it was still foggy , looked like possibly moisture had gotten into the tube, or maybe the gas has leaked out that makes them fog proof. Thanks in advance for any related responses.

It not uncommon for any scope to look a little foggy after wipeing the condensation or water off the lens on damp/rainy days.Even how one hold there rifle can casuse that due to body heat or breath. Lens cleaners with anti fog help in that.

If the seals are gone it will still be foggy for a while even after bringing it inside for as it takes some time for the inside to warm up and dry out. If it is clear and you take it back out side or to a much cooler temp it should fogg right back.

If you have it "inside" and it is clear now and can I would take it outside under a car port,porch,deck or unheated out building and see what happens 30 min to and hour should tell the tale.

Of coarse if in doubt send it back. ;)

Tiny

BTW this is a good lens cleaner that helps a whole lot with the above.There are similar products out there that be pick ed up at malls flea markets and such.I got mine at Sportsman Warehouse at the Bino,Spotting Scope and Sunglass Counter and seen it for sale at other places in the same areas as well.

Also good for those of us that wear glasses.

http://store.ekusa.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=159

LCU

Now that rifle season has ended, just ship it to Leupold for them to check it out. Save you the time,and doubt you may have for next season.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Picked up a new VXIII from Cabelas for $379. I ain't scared to run a cheap Leupold.

alwaysoutdoors

To follow up:

I shipped it back to Leupold for customer service. Approximate turnaround time was 3 weeks. I recieved a post card about 1 week after shipping to them to let me know it had arrived for customer service. Today I got the scope back with an invoice:

complaint: fogged

Warranty work:
Mechanical Inspection
Complete Internal Inspection
Visual Inspection 100%
Reworked Selector

Misc. Service Notes: (blank)

NO CHARGE (I paid shipping to them though - $6.67 insured)

Hard to beat that except I would like to know WHY it fogged up!
Hopefully after I sight it back in on a rifle it doesn't happen again.

Tiny

Good deal.

You could call them and ask them what was wrong with it if you wish too ,they should be able to pull your invoice #.

Tikkabuck

Yes I have which is why I don't care for Lupy's. One of the worst customer service's I've had to deal with. Love the scopes awesome,customer service for a foggy M-8 horibble. I got the scope bac and it was not clear by no means,they said it was fine. :mad:

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
From what they said it sounds like the seal on the power selector ring had failed causing the leak. There's only about 5 places it could happen and it sounds like that's the one they redid the seal on. Don't ever loosen the fastener that is on the power selector ring on several different brand scopes or the nitrogen purge is lost. I've had scopes fog before and with one company I went through two scopes before the third was satisfactory. The first one had fogging problems and the second had a misthreaded scope turret. I'm still using the third.

Locksley

Whelen Man said:
From what they said it sounds like the seal on the power selector ring had failed causing the leak. There's only about 5 places it could happen and it sounds like that's the one they redid the seal on. Don't ever loosen the fastener that is on the power selector ring on several different brand scopes or the nitrogen purge is lost. I've had scopes fog before and with one company I went through two scopes before the third was satisfactory. The first one had fogging problems and the second had a misthreaded scope turret. I'm still using the third.

Rubber gets old and rots after many years and needs to be replaced , the hoses on a car are an example of this. The rubber also can break like glass if is subjected to extream cold , the Challenger disaster is an example of this cold hard fact. Not scope is good forever they need repairs sometimes so I think Leopold is a good scope they fix the bad parts put more gas in and we are back in the field.
Locksley