First rifle?

Chiflyguy

Kind of embarrassing but I do not own a centerfire rifle.
Looking to buy my first.
My neighbor in my soon to be neighborhood is letting me hunt 52 acres.
He wants me to whack the coyotes that killed 5 calves this year in trade.
I have no interest in saving the pelts so a good deer rifle I can use for coyote will work.
Suggestions? I'll buy a used rifle and want a wood stock. I like the look of a wood stocked rifle.
.270? .243? 30.06?
If you have a rifle you want to unload in a couple months, let me know.

1 good shot

Go see what ammo is readily available first.
Any rifle will kill one, if you do your part.
Find one thats not heavy and feels natural to hold.
I would shy away from longer barrels for mobility's sake.
Coyotes are rarely visible for more than a few seconds, so a gun that can be swung into position quickly is greatly beneficial

DaveTN

There are plenty of wood & blued bolts available. But in good condition they will cost more than the synthetics. My favorite centerfire rifle caliber is .308. I would guess you would have an easier time finding ammo for it than some others. Mil surplus is kinda available in .308. if you want to do a lot of range practicing. So is 30-06, but Garand food is bringing a premium.
For varmints I'd use the .223, just for ammo cost. But if you just want one rifle for everything, I wouldn't pick that caliber.

Andy S.

Go see what ammo is readily available first.
Ditto, assuming you do not reload. .308 ammo was the most readily available during the pandemic and still readily available in SW TN. Other calibers (.243, .270, 6.5CM, 30-06, etc) are coming back, but only time will tell how things look over time.

hoghunter65

Kind of embarrassing but I do not own a centerfire rifle.
Looking to buy my first.
My neighbor in my soon to be neighborhood is letting me hunt 52 acres.
He wants me to whack the coyotes that killed 5 calves this year in trade.
I have no interest in saving the pelts so a good deer rifle I can use for coyote will work.
Suggestions? I'll buy a used rifle and want a wood stock. I like the look of a wood stocked rifle.
.270? .243? 30.06?
If you have a rifle you want to unload in a couple months, let me know.
Some one on gunbroker has a really nice remington 700 adl wood stock in 270 with a 3x9 weaver scope, sling and case for 699. If I needed a rifle Id jump on it.

Latest posts