Extreme Weather Events

rsimms

Many of our clients know that last Spring was one our worst crappie fishing seasons on record. Note the green lines that show extreme rain/water levels we experienced March 20 and again April 2. That is typically our peak crappie fishing so those two extreme events (high water and extreme mud) virtually killed our crappie season (we only guide for crappie in the Spring). We're having another such event right now (blue line), but far earlier this year compared to 2021. Let's hope this is it for the season and Mother Nature shows us a little normalcy from here on out.

lake_level.jpg

Headhunter

If you can find them, you can absolutely catch tons of crappie in high, muddy water. At times, some of the best days I have ever had catching crappie, and better quality crappie, has been in high muddy water.

WTM

If you can find them, you can absolutely catch tons of crappie in high, muddy water. At times, some of the best days I have ever had catching crappie, and better quality crappie, has been in high muddy water.
bass too. muddy water is warmer and theyll move shallower but with so much muddy water its harder to find them.

Headhunter

bass too. muddy water is warmer and theyll move shallower but with so much muddy water its harder to find them.
I love muddy, colored water for bass, one of my favorite types water for bass fishing. I have had many epic days chasing bass in high colored water.

I always felt it was a waste of time for crappie and would have a hard time believing fishing for crappie could be good in "chocolate milk", until I saw a buddy at the ramp on Priest many years ago. He had a pile of crappie and the water was for sure muddy and high. I struggle finding crappie in that type water, but when I do it is usually off the chart good.

Speedwell-Hunter

Many of our clients know that last Spring was one our worst crappie fishing seasons on record. Note the green lines that show extreme rain/water levels we experienced March 20 and again April 2. That is typically our peak crappie fishing so those two extreme events (high water and extreme mud) virtually killed our crappie season (we only guide for crappie in the Spring). We're having another such event right now (blue line), but far earlier this year compared to 2021. Let's hope this is it for the season and Mother Nature shows us a little normalcy from here on out.

View attachment 130091
Definitely insightful,

what should level be in Spring for the Chik? 676 range? I see in 2021 it stayed at 682.5 all summer then went back down to 676-677 in December. What is good crappie level?

Latest posts