Experience Using A 44 Carbine For Deer

Uncle J

Anyone got any first had experience using a 44 mag carbine for deer under a 100 yards? Most of my shots locally are all 30-80 yards (I mainly archery and muzzle load). I keep finding deals and keep passing - but this one has my interest - I defiantly don't need another rifle but curious after reading if any of you have had good or bad experiences using one? I have a couple of other rifles that I seem to always pickup if rifle hunting but have never had a pistol caliber and curious more than anything. Thanks in advance!

Carlos

I haven't used one for deer hunting myself, but I'm sure they'd do very well, especially at those ranges.
Locating ammo is what I'd worry about. (There hasn't been hardly any 44 ammo around in awhile.)

Dennis

I've killed a few with a 357 mag out to 100 yds with a carbine with no issues. The 44 would work no question.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have one that was my grandpas rifle forever. It is a deer slaying machine. I love it, but I only take it out once or twice a year. A lot of my family has shot their first deer with it including my wife. My son, daughter, and any future kids of mine will also carry it to shoot their first. It is probably the most sentimental family heirloom I will ever have. I never got to hunt with my Grandpa, but he was always the first person when I got home that asked how my day was and always helped us skin and debone deer in his carport.

Chief44

44 mag is my favorite cartridge. Keep the range right and it will kill any deer you shoot at if you do your part. I've got a couple of different 44 rifles but a 44 handgun is my favorite.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Ruger 44 Carbine
240gr XTP
H110 @ 24.0
WW brass
LPM primer
Crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die
Excellent 100 yard Brush gun with low power scope No lead bullets it has gas ports
They are gas operated? I thought that they were recoil operated like the 10/22, but I have been wrong before.

Lead bullets can be used in gas operated rifles, but they have to be properly hardened and sized, and the rifle has to be properly cleaned and maintained. Many people use cast bullets in service rifles.

dogmatik

I hunted with one exclusively for 10 years straight in both Florida and Tennessee. I hunt with Winchester ammo and the partition gold, partition platinum, the newer dual bonds and even the black talons all performed well. The 240 and 250 grain bullets where all equally as accurate and never lost a deer or hog when shot with the 44mag.
The Hornady 240 XTP did good on paper, but shot an inch higher. Never shot an animal with them so no experience with them in that regard.
The .44 is a great deer round out to 100 yards (a bit further with practice) but as mentioned ammo is almost non existent in a hunting round.

Red-Team-98

My favorite was the 265gr Hornady FN and 22.5 of H110 in the Ruger Carbine
24.0 and 240gr XTP also a good load in the carbine.

Last edited:

Lost Lake

I think the 44 mag carbines are way overlooked these days as deer rifles. I enjoy mine, and have dropped quite a few deer with them. I hand load the Hornady 240 XTP at 1750 fps and it does a good job. Most deer I've shot with mine have been broadside and tight behind the shoulder shots, and as is typical of that placement, they'll run 30-50 yards and pile up at the end of a good blood trail. I've taken a few stem-to stern shots with it, and penetration is extremely good. Myself, I try not to take shots over about 75 yards, but it's certainly good for more than that.

A hunting buddy uses a Marlin 1894 44 mag, and has dumped more deer with it than I have mine. He keeps me worn out dragging his deer. He loves that rifle, and will probably be buried with it lol.

I use the same bullet (240 XTP) at about the same speed in my TC Omega muzzleloader, and results are about the same.

Last edited:

Dennis

You can get ammo from
Buffalo Bore. They sell a Barnes load that would be perfect for deer in a carbine

tug

Use a suppressed bolt action. .44 special length cases. About 900 fps 300 gr XTP. This bullet won't expand but it always goes thru. I am looking at a solid copper from Lehigh. I can't use a lead bullet because of how the barrel is ported and suppressed. It is super quiet.

Latest posts