44-40 WCF

ROVERBOY

I can pretty much guarantee the ammo is about impossible to find. It's sometimes popular with Cowboy Action Shooters but, that's about it. Probably a good round though. Great history.

TBBandito

Would avoid 44-40 unless you reload even then... You can get the "Original" Henry in 45 Colt which is easier to find & reload. Most of us In SASS shoot 45 Colt or 38's. There are some that still use 44-40 and live it! But we are always on an Easter egg hunt to find his cases and to keep 'em out of our reloaders!!

348Winchester

Several years ago my little girl was eat up with the Rifleman TV show. She wanted a 44-40. So, for Christmas she received a Winchester 1892 in 44-40. It's a great round. To really enjoy it, one needs to reload. I have reloaded for hers for about ten years. A Barnes XPB .429 diameter 225 grain hollow point and 17.5 grains of 2400 is a deadly and powerful round. Years later I got her a Uberti Cattleman in 44-40. A 205 grain lead round nose flat point over 6.5 grains of Red Dot is very accurate with plenty of punch. She is a very good shot with both. If you get it, plan on reloading!

Bryan Austin

After reviewing the rifle and the price, I am editing my reply.
Yes, 44-40 ammo is hard to find but when ya do, it is in the $125 range. You will more than likely have to find some on gunbroker as well.

RockMcL

Is it true this ammo is nearly impossible to find?

I want to buy this henry rifle chambered in .44-40, but looks like no ammo. thanks for any help.

Are you going to shoot that or display it?
Beautiful gun.
If shooting regular then you definitely will need reload.

Occasional shooting, check your local co-ops. I have stumbled on some ammo surprises at out of the way coops

CharlieTN

Finding it on the shelves will be difficult unless it's a store that specializes in Cowboy Action Shooting. It's a great one to reload though. I had a set of Ruger pistols and a lever action in it in 44-40 and loved them.

JDG51

I have a win 1892 in 4440, I buy ammo on gunbroker. It's fun to shoot, most ammo I find in local stores is the cowboy action.

Latest posts