Experience Using A 44 Carbine For Deer

killingtime 41

My first rifle was a marlin in 44mag. Friend of the family use to reload. I use to have 220 grain hollow points he loaded. Absolutely deadly bullet big wound channel. Lots of times leaving a blood trail Ray Charles with a blind fold could follow. I used that rifle for many years. Someone broke in a stole it and all my guns years ago. I've never replaced it. I really wanted to but bought a 30/30 cause it was half the cost. Been using it 6 years or so. But really would love a 44 marlin again.

Uncle J

Thank you for everyone's comments and sharing experience. This site is amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed it since I joined. The willingness to help and share with others you don't know is awesome!

Carlos

My first rifle was a marlin in 44mag. Friend of the family use to reload. I use to have 220 grain hollow points he loaded. Absolutely deadly bullet big wound channel. Lots of times leaving a blood trail Ray Charles with a blind fold could follow. I used that rifle for many years. Someone broke in a stole it and all my guns years ago. I've never replaced it. I really wanted to but bought a 30/30 cause it was half the cost. Been using it 6 years or so. But really would love a 44 marlin again.
There's a really nice Henry 44m for sale in the classifieds. Just $900, that's a good price these days.

rukiddin

I don't have a carbine but I do have a Ruger 77/44 bolt rifle and inside 100 yards, there's no other gun I'd rather have.

Plateau Hunter

I killed my first 10-15 deer with a Ruger 44 mag carbine back in the day…worked well…I just used the standard factory 240g sp or hp…it wasn't the hammer of Thor like a .358 or such but worked well…lost one because of a low shot breaking a front leg…but that would have happened with a 375H&H…a 260g bullet would be better imo for better penetration…

Red-Team-98

Excellent Brush Gun !
Started using the Ruger carbine 44 mag back in the 60's exclusively with Norma 240gr FNSP.
Especially after adding a low power scope !
Excellent for Bear/Deer/Boar at 100 yards or less.
Today reload the Hornady 240gr XTP with 24.0 of H110 in WW cases with Large Pistol Mag primers and Crimp using Lee Factory crimp Die to duplicate the Norma Load in the Carbine.

Last edited: