Equipment Questions

Bulldog25

Hoping to get lucky on some deals after Christmas and pick up some stuff for next season and I had some questions and looking for opinions.

1. Compound Bow vs Crossbow

2. Ladder vs Lock On vs Climber. Originally I thought I would get a ladder or lock on stand but the climber seems like it would be more beneficial so I could change my spots easily but I have never used one before.

Nhill

Compound vs crossbow is a pure preference decision. A crossbow will take less practice and dedication to shoot, and you will get s little more range out of it.

A lock on or ladder stand is great for leaving a stand in one place, but if I had to choose one I would definitely go with a climber. You should be somewhat in shape to use a climber though.
Whatever you use, you will absolutely need a safety harness.

Bulldog25

I've heard compounds are easier to maintain so I was leaning towards them, is that true? But I am a lefty and if someone else wanted to use my bow they wouldn't be able to so I was originally thinking crossbow.

I guess the better question would be if you had to choose to own only one stand what would it be? Ladder, lock on, or climber.

roadracer

Not sure about the "wheeled" version of crossbows but my Excalibur is very easy to maintain. I have it for my daughter and generally hunt with a compound. I have a Rush and a Diamond. Other than new strings occasionally and a good once over by a factory trained tech not much to them.

I have all three types of stands. Each has its place with the climber being most versatile for me. I have been using ground blinds a lot lately and really like the quick set up and convenience.

Football Hunter

Bulldog25 said:
I've heard compounds are easier to maintain so I was leaning towards them, is that true? But I am a lefty and if someone else wanted to use my bow they wouldn't be able to so I was originally thinking crossbow.

I guess the better question would be if you had to choose to own only one stand what would it be? Ladder, lock on, or climber.
Only one?No brainer,climber.

Vermin93

It's my opinion that in Tennessee your first treestand should be a climber.

If you plan to let others shoot and hunt with your bow then definitely a crossbow. Compound bows should not be shared unless you want to deal with the dreaded "buddy-fire".

Todd Bell

i shoot a barnett crossbow. im also left handed so when my son or 12 year old brother wants to go its easy to explain and is one size fits all. I prefer lock on stands. there isnt any sweating involoved climbing the tree and i feel like they are more concealed and tall than a ladder stand.

slagtown_dfa

A compound is definitely more enjoyable to shoot and more challenging/satisfying when you kill a deer. As far as a stand the climber is the way to go if you hunt several different spots. I would suggest a summit over all the others.

Winchester

For a single stand the climber hands down, you can always add some loc ons or ladders later on. Compound for me, don't like much of anything about a xgun myself.

Bulldog25

Think the climber has won for which type of stand I'll get. And I agree with what slagtown said about the compound kill being more of a challenge and feeling more satisfying so I'm leaning towards that but the problem is finding a left handed one somewhere.

Football Hunter

Bulldog25 said:
Think the climber has won for which type of stand I'll get. And I agree with what slagtown said about the compound kill being more of a challenge and feeling more satisfying so I'm leaning towards that but the problem is finding a left handed one somewhere.
You live in Wilson co right?Id call Pointdexters on 109,or Im sure Bass pro would have some,Dicks,Academy In Mt Juliet,shouldnt be too hard.

RobbyW

If I had one stand it would be my climber. I have climbed trees close to my ladder-stands, because my climber is so much more comfortable. I can sit all day in my climber. Plus you can move it around a lot easier. I try to avoid my ladder stands because they kill my back.

Bulldog25

Football Hunter said:
Bulldog25 said:
You live in Wilson co right?Id call Pointdexters on 109,or Im sure Bass pro would have some,Dicks,Academy In Mt Juliet,shouldnt be too hard.

I hate dealing with the people at dicks especially after the recent crap they pulled when I went to buy a safe. I checked Academy website and the only one they showed was a youth I think. Wasn't thinking about pointdexters or bass pro.

Boone 58

Bulldog25 said:
Hoping to get lucky on some deals after Christmas and pick up some stuff for next season and I had some questions and looking for opinions.

2. Ladder vs Lock On vs Climber. Originally I thought I would get a ladder or lock on stand but the climber seems like it would be more beneficial so I could change my spots easily but I have never used one before.

Here is my two cents worth.....as long as you have the strength to pull a compound..............go with it.

Climber always first!!!! too versatile to give up or in to a ladder or lock on.......add them later to your desired spots for them..... I would never.............NEVER...........be without my climber as my primary ......and get the lightest aluminum you can!!!!!! you will only regret steel or heavy alum....go with the Summit one fro 16#'s.............
this is 40 years of wisdom, for what that is worth!!! :grin:

Bulldog25

Boone 58 said:
Bulldog25 said:

Here is my two cents worth.....as long as you have the strength to pull a compound..............go with it.

Climber always first!!!! too versatile to give up or in to a ladder or lock on.......add them later to your desired spots for them..... I would never.............NEVER...........be without my climber as my primary ......and get the lightest aluminum you can!!!!!! you will only regret steel or heavy alum....go with the Summit one fro 16#'s.............
this is 40 years of wisdom, for what that is worth!!! :grin:

Thanks for the wisdom!

Bulldog25

Vermin93 said:
Bulldog25 said:
Anyone using a Summit Viper? Or anyone have any personal experiences with them?

Ha! On this site that question is like asking if anyone is using a rifle. I can't believe 50 Summit users haven't already chimed in. :eek:

Haha. I figured people had them but I just wanted some reviews.

Latest posts