Encouragement for those considering processing your own.

CharlieTN

A bit of encouragement for those considering processing your own deer. I started doing my own several years ago at the encouragement of Erik Almy after a local processor had let one rot on me. It really isn't hard, doesn't require a walk in cooler or major specialized equipment.

I shot a doe Saturday morning at roughly 8:10 am. I had her home, a 35 minute drive after getting her out of the woods, quartered, and on ice by 11am with the help of my family who had things ready for me. I then spent roughly 1 1/2 hours on Sunday evening breaking down and de-boning the hind legs, then another 1 1/2 hours today finishing up with the front legs, the trimmings, and the backstraps. All in all I would guess I have roughly 4 hours in the processing so far. I do still have to grind most of it to make bacon burgers and meatloafs but that won't take that long. From what I've seen, most processors are charging around $100-125 or more for basic processing.

Here's the best part. This deer weighed 65 lbs gutted. I did not keep the rib meat or the tenderloins since I had caught the stomach slightly so there was that mess inside the carcass. Even with that I still wound up with 29 lbs of boned out, prepped, and trimmed meat. I'm picky, trimming out any and all fat, connective tissue, and such. I typically find that on average I get between 40-45% yield off of a deer from the gutted weight. That will vary depending on if it's a late season deer with more fat, or the manner of harvest. A rifle shot through the shoulders will cause more loss compared to an arrow through the lungs. Processors cannot take the time I do to get as much meat off of the carcass or to clean it up as much. They have to play a numbers game.

The other huge benefit is that my family pretty much prefers to grind most of the deer. We really don't do roasts and such. We will keep the backstraps but the rest gets ground. With that we make pre-done meatloafs that we vacuum seal and freeze for easy meals, bacon burgers (5lbs venison to 1lb bacon and some French onion soup mix for seasoning), and then just course ground for other stuff. Easy to do and gives us lots of good meals.

Equipment wise I don't have much. I store the quartered deer on ice in a cooler. The meat goes into unscented garbage bags surrounded by gallon ziploc bags of ice. I don't like to water bath my meat. I have 4 butchering knives I use, but could easily get by with just one 6" boning knife if I had to. I have a small Lem grinder that cost me $80 bucks over 10 years ago that is still going strong, and a basic vacuum sealer. It doesn't take much. Oh, I about forgot I have a plastic burger press.

Anyway, if you're considering it, go for it. There are some great videos out there, such as the ones from the bearded butchers, that will walk you through breaking one down. It's not hard.

Attachments

• 99D67354-7E94-4748-A726-F82CA333C74E.jpeg
    99D67354-7E94-4748-A726-F82CA333C74E.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 42

CharlieTN

That's a great idea! Would you or anybody else mind sharing a good venison meatloaf recipe?
Let me get with the wife, she does those.

Vacuum seal them in flat packs uncooked and they thaw out very quick. Put them in a pan, and you've got an easy and fairly quick supper.

CharlieTN

+1 Greatly prefer to process my own, not only do I know how the meat has been cared for and sure that it's my deer; it's part of the overall hunting experience I get to share with my sons or anyone else I'm hunting with.
Absolutely. My youngest daughter helps with the quartering and such. My whole family gets together to have a grinding party to make the burgers and such. It also becomes a special meal for us that they all get excited about.

I get about as much satisfaction out of filling the freezer myself, knowing that I have done every part of it, as I do the hunt itself. It's work, but it is so worth it.

MidTennFisher

Agreed on all points. You definitely get more meat than you will with using a processor and there is certainly something special about pulling meat out of the freezer that you know only your hands have touched.

30 pounds for an average sized doe is about what I get. We don't grind near as much as you do as I like whole roasts that we can either make into steaks or slow cook/roast. So my overall time might be less since I'm not doing as much grinding.

My wife is always a huge help by clearing out fridge space for me to throw the quarters in there if it's an evening hunt, a warm night, and I need to get to sleep. Then I can finish those at a later time.

Last week she did that and had already laid towels and paper bags on the garage floor where my gambrel is before I got home knowing I'd killed a doe. About an hour and a half after getting home I had all 4 quarters in the fridge along with a bowl for straps and tenderloins, and a bowl full of chunks of trim meat for stew.

It's a very rewarding process and is part of what makes hunting so special to me.

Billboy

I've been doing mine for decades now. I have an extra fridge out in the garage. I usually quarter the deer and toss in a couple of meat tubs and leave it in the fridge for a few days until I'm ready to bone out and package. This way you can age the meat and don't have to be in a big hurry due to outside temps. I bought a cabelas grinder and mix ~10% bacon with my grind. The end result is a superior product compared to some of these professional "processors".

UCStandSitter

Guess I have been doing my own for about 20 years. Knowing you are getting back your deer and knowing how it was handled is what makes it worth it to me. We make blocks of ice in plastic containers ahead of season, bagged ice from the store has gotten ridiculous. I spend more time trimming than any other part.
Silver skin be the enemy!

gladesman60

A bit of encouragement for those considering processing your own deer. I started doing my own several years ago at the encouragement of Erik Almy after a local processor had let one rot on me. It really isn't hard, doesn't require a walk in cooler or major specialized equipment.

I shot a doe Saturday morning at roughly 8:10 am. I had her home, a 35 minute drive after getting her out of the woods, quartered, and on ice by 11am with the help of my family who had things ready for me. I then spent roughly 1 1/2 hours on Sunday evening breaking down and de-boning the hind legs, then another 1 1/2 hours today finishing up with the front legs, the trimmings, and the backstraps. All in all I would guess I have roughly 4 hours in the processing so far. I do still have to grind most of it to make bacon burgers and meatloafs but that won't take that long. From what I've seen, most processors are charging around $100-125 or more for basic processing.

Here's the best part. This deer weighed 65 lbs gutted. I did not keep the rib meat or the tenderloins since I had caught the stomach slightly so there was that mess inside the carcass. Even with that I still wound up with 29 lbs of boned out, prepped, and trimmed meat. I'm picky, trimming out any and all fat, connective tissue, and such. I typically find that on average I get between 40-45% yield off of a deer from the gutted weight. That will vary depending on if it's a late season deer with more fat, or the manner of harvest. A rifle shot through the shoulders will cause more loss compared to an arrow through the lungs. Processors cannot take the time I do to get as much meat off of the carcass or to clean it up as much. They have to play a numbers game.

The other huge benefit is that my family pretty much prefers to grind most of the deer. We really don't do roasts and such. We will keep the backstraps but the rest gets ground. With that we make pre-done meatloafs that we vacuum seal and freeze for easy meals, bacon burgers (5lbs venison to 1lb bacon and some French onion soup mix for seasoning), and then just course ground for other stuff. Easy to do and gives us lots of good meals.

Equipment wise I don't have much. I store the quartered deer on ice in a cooler. The meat goes into unscented garbage bags surrounded by gallon ziploc bags of ice. I don't like to water bath my meat. I have 4 butchering knives I use, but could easily get by with just one 6" boning knife if I had to. I have a small Lem grinder that cost me $80 bucks over 10 years ago that is still going strong, and a basic vacuum sealer. It doesn't take much. Oh, I about forgot I have a plastic burger press.

Anyway, if you're considering it, go for it. There are some great videos out there, such as the ones from the bearded butchers, that will walk you through breaking one down. It's not hard.
I used a processor when I lived in Florida. I shared a warehouse bay with him and he didnt charge me. When i moved up here to Tennessee i brought a Hobart grinder and commercial cuber that he had as a backup. I enjoy doing my own now. Don't care for venison roast steak or stew so i just grind everything with bacon except the back straps which I cube. Quick and easy.

BSK

I've been hunting since 1979 and I've never taken a deer to a processor. Although I have to admit, processing that first one was an experience. We actually drug the entire deer into the kitchen! But we've got it down to a science now. What really helps is having several people and processing deer in an assembly line. Each person does their part and passes it on to the next person. I would not want to do it again, but we've butchered as many as 7 deer in one event. Took 4-5 people in an assembly line 7 hours to go from 7 hanging deer to clean kitchen and packaged meat in the freezer, but it can certainly be done.

Latest posts