Elk rifle

knightrider

A 22 - 250 or 223 is NOT LEGAL for any Big Game hunting in Colorado, That means NOT even pronghorn, much less elk. And there's a good reason for that!
What would be the good reason? Your opinion ofcourse. We dont hunt steel armored animals , they really aint hard to kill! Bullet selection and accuracy trumps caliber every time

Robtattoo

Not my opinion. CPW (CO Parks and Wildlife) law. Ask them! They will reply.
Oh, those people that just released a bunch of wolves, against all conservational advice?
The same people who just banned lion hunting?
The same people who believe in 'ballot box biology'?
The same people who still think OTC elk tags for non residents for all archery, plus second & third rifle shouldn't have a cap, despite the overall reduction in herd numbers?

Yeah..... they're the people to ask about external ballistics, wound tracks & bullet performance 🙄

OldFart

I'm feeling I'm building up some animosity here and that's NOT my intention! I'm entitled to my opinion and so are you. No offense meant!

However: I didn't vote for the wolves. Neither did the CPW. The CPW was ordered to introduce wolves. They are forbidden to even comment on such matters.

Lion hunting has not been outlawed. At least, not yet. Some radical anti-hunters are trying to get this on the ballot.

CPW does not believe in "ballot box biology". Instead they want to rely on their biologists.

OTC elk tags are controversial. Everywhere in Colorado was not hit hard from the last winter. Elk were affected the least. In fact, I shot my elk last year in an area that was hit hard and I saw 200 elk one day and 75 the next day. Antelope and deer got hit worse with the antelope almost decimated.

Also, all archery elk tags are not OTC. You can check the brochure on the web.

Last edited:

Robtattoo

I'm feeling I'm building up some animosity here and that's NOT my intention! I'm entitled to my opinion and so are you. No offense meant!

However: I didn't vote for the wolves. Neither did the CPW. The CPW was ordered to introduce wolves. They are forbidden to even comment on such matters.

Lion hunting has not been outlawed. At least, not yet. Some radical anti-hunters are trying to get this on the ballot.

CPW does not believe in "ballot box biology". Instead they want to rely on their biologists.

OTC elk tags are controversial. Everywhere in Colorado was not hit hard from the last winter. Elk were affected the least. In fact, I shot my elk last year in an area that was hit hard and I saw 200 elk one day and 75 the next day. Antelope and deer got hit worse with the antelope almost decimated.

Also, all archery elk tags are not OTC. You can check the brochure on the web.
My apologies if it came across that way! That wasn't my intention.

And you're correct on all counts. My memory isn't doing quite so well these days. I'm mixing up CPW & the State Wildlife Commission (which is run by a bunch of pinkos)

RedDawg

I hunted elk for 20+ years. Always used my 270. Only had one go more than 100 yards. Still remember walking through a mountain pass in Wyoming and meeting a local by the name of Jim Coffee carrying his trusty 30-30 that he always used for elk. He was surprised that as a flatlander, I wasn't carrying a cannon. I simply said I knew the rifle and referenced bullet placement. He patted his 30-30 and said, "Exactly".

Last edited:

Robtattoo

I hunted elk for 20+ years. Always used my 270. Only had one go more than 100 yards. Still remember walking through a mountain pass in Wyoming and meeting a local by the name of Jim Coffee carrying his trusty 30-30 that he always used for elk. He was surprised that as a flatlander, I want's carrying a cannon. I simply said I knew the rifle and referenced bullet placement. He patted his 30-30 and said, "Exactly".
The old guy I've hunted with in Wyoming the last 12 years, his go to is either an 1895 winchester in .30-40 or his model 70 in .270
He's been using both since the mid '60s & 9 times out of 10 comes home with an elk.
20160917_100015.jpg

gtk

Staff member
I've got a hankering to buy a new rifle. Just can't settle on one. I'd like it to be for elk and mule deer if and when I get those hunts started. It's a good excuse to buy one. 😆 I want it to be in 300 win mag. I'd like to get one of the new Remington 700 cdl. But I can't decide if they are worth a flip or not. I keep seeing Bergara B-14 pop up in my search. I have no experience with bergara. I want one with a wood stock. Personal preference. The bergara has a 24 inch barrel. Would I be hurting myself with a 24 inch barreled 300 win mag?
cecil30-30, see what you started :D

have you gotten your answer yet? I can't help you with the Bergara -vs- Remington 700 question, but can say the 300 win mag is a good choice :)

mike243

Buddy of mine lost 1 with a 270 1 year and the guide wouldn't let him shoot another, said they tried to not let him hunt with it but he insisted. I try to learn from others mistakes but life happens no matter what path you take. look up the energy at different distances see how your favorite stacks up, coarse I always heard it was the motion of the ocean not the size of the boat so reckon it's all about the bullet build instead of energy 😂

RedDawg

Buddy of mine lost 1 with a 270 1 year and the guide wouldn't let him shoot another, said they tried to not let him hunt with it but he insisted. I try to learn from others mistakes but life happens no matter what path you take. look up the energy at different distances see how your favorite stacks up, coarse I always heard it was the motion of the ocean not the size of the boat so reckon it's all about the bullet build instead of energy 😂
I was shooting 'hot' hand reloads with Barnes X-Bullets.

knightrider

Probably just as many lost with a magnum, bad shot is a bad shot no matter the caliber