Elk rifle

MUP

Everyone fluffs one occasionally. But would be have seen any advantage if he been shooting a .300?
Maybe, maybe not, hard to tell, but with the bigger bullet and more damage to the hind quarters it's a possibility I suppose. My theory on that would be a small hole in the hind quarters vs a larger hole. This is just saying if that one shot was all they could get off without having a chance, at least immediately, to get that follow up shot off, which would have both had the same results on the spine shot I would think

MUP

To keep up the performance you'd have to go heavier. Push a 210-220 in that 300wm and the recoil goes up substantially. That's why the high bc 6.5 bullets became so popular. Think we had that conversation the day we shoot at mountain top when you were wearing us out with your creedmoor, and I was wearing my shoulder out with a 300wm
Oh yeah, I love shooting the creedmoor, but again I know that pushing those heavies can increase the range of the shot somewhat, and that could be the difference in taking a shot and passing bc of distance. Not that I ever even think I'll get that chance 😀 but I'll still take my WinMag first with me if I ever get that chance out there 😁

Jcalder

Oh yeah, I love shooting the creedmoor, but again I know that pushing those heavies can increase the range of the shot somewhat, and that could be the difference in taking a shot and passing bc of distance. Not that I ever even think I'll get that chance 😀 but I'll still take my WinMag first with me if I ever get that chance out there 😁
But you can keep the same range with the creedmoor, and way less recoil, performance just as good.

Robtattoo

Maybe, maybe not, hard to tell, but with the bigger bullet and more damage to the hind quarters it's a possibility I suppose. My theory on that would be a small hole in the hind quarters vs a larger hole. This is just saying if that one shot was all they could get off without having a chance, at least immediately, to get that follow up shot off, which would have both had the same results on the spine shot I would think
Another major advantage to smaller cartridges: The ability to spot your shots & get a much faster follow up. Which the guy obviously did. And again, the right small bullet creates a bigger hole than the wrong large bullet.

gtk

Staff member
Another example of being monitored. After visiting tndeer, i went to FB. One of the first thing that pops up in my feed is a poll posted on one of the elk hunting pages I follow , asking "what caliber do you shoot for elk". Responses are as varied as they are here

I'll try to summarize

Cal ---- %of Votes
300 WinMag ----- 29%
30-06 ----- 25%
7 Rem Mag----- 11%
.270 ----- 9%
300 Wby Mag ----- 3%
Archery ----- 2%
300 WSM ----- 2%

I only listed the ones > 1%. There were countless others listed, and some listed 2wice with diff spelling. .

Robtattoo

Hit probability. It took me forever to finally get it but once I did, it makes more sense. But you still got people who get way too excited over a 1/2" 3 shot group.

I love showing folks this one.....

Jcalder

I found this article to be very informative, with a little something in it for every perspective we've discussed here.

The one thing I wish the article would have done away with is the energy. Performance isn't based on energy, it's based on velocity. At what point does the bullet being used no longer offer reliable expansion. Most bullets are designed to work down to 1800fps. Energy numbers look great on paper, and translate to nothing in the real world.

Remi

The one thing I wish the article would have done away with is the energy. Performance isn't based on energy, it's based on velocity. At what point does the bullet being used no longer offer reliable expansion. Most bullets are designed to work down to 1800fps. Energy numbers look great on paper, and translate to nothing in the real world.

1705595381598.gif

Jcalder

They go hand in hand right?

Kinetic energy depends on the velocity of the object squared. This means that when the velocity of an object doubles, its kinetic energy quadruples.
Maybe? I've never seen a bullet expansion chart that shows what the energies are, just velocity. I'm sure the energy translates to some penetration and if you'll have one hole vs 2 depending on what the bullet is designed to do. But if that bullet doesn't expand and it pencils thru because you're under that threshold, energy is probably doing its thing, but the performance of the bullet certainly isn't.

Latest posts