Eastern TN RUT

MUP

I'm at the disgusted phase of the rut. Where I'm not seeing anything. And I'm tired of freezing and not seeing any hard core activity. Haven't even killed a deer yet. Greene county use to be one of the best in East Tn years ago. Now it's maybe one of the worst.
I'm not seeing anything right now either, but I found the most gnarly, horrific rub I've ever seen before on my place. I'm hoping something has moved in, or it's the buck that I shot at last Sat and hopefully missed. 1"+ mountain laurel stalks snapped clean off. Something was definitely ticked!

cagleyss7

I shot a 5+ year old buck cruising the woods the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Alot of sign opened up on my property the last 2 weeks.

JeepKuntry

I'm at the disgusted phase of the rut. Where I'm not seeing anything. And I'm tired of freezing and not seeing any hard core activity. Haven't even killed a deer yet. Greene county use to be one of the best in East Tn years ago. Now it's maybe one of the worst.
Obviously you haven't hunted many East Tn counties as Greene is still one of the top producers. Just my opinion, but East Tn is hot or cold it seems. Unfortunately my lease has been cold since the 2017 EHD outbreak. Hopefully things turn around for you and you smoke a giant.

Hduke86

I shot a 5 1/2 year old buck Tuesday and he was trying to lockdown does. I was at the little corner store up on the mountain I live on yesterday and a guy pulled up with a buck that was a GOOD size and mature on the back of his truck. I talked to him for a few and he said the buck was on the tail of a couple does and paid him no attention when he stood up to get on him for a shot.

DoubleRidge

It's easy to get frustrated during the rut or deer season in general....I've had buddy's 5 miles away be covered up in rut action while I wasn't seeing anything?....then two days later....I'd be covered up and they wouldn't be?...... there's one part of deer hunting that doesn't get discussed much....and it's the mental game.....try to stay in the game mentally....it can be hard.....it can be a grind at times when you hunt multiple days back to back....some say they just go hunting to relax and it doesn't matter if they see anything or not.....and that's cool, nothing wrong with that approach....but for those that push hard to close the deal..... mentally it can wear on you and your mind starts second guessing....stay in the game...hunt....change locations....a change of scenery sometimes can help.....stay after them! Good luck!

rukiddin

Ever since we bought our farm, I can watch 99% of deer activity from my house. We bought our house 4-1/2 years ago. For the last 4 years you can set your set your watch by them. Last week of October-first week of November, new bucks start showing up. Thanksgiving week and week after, lots of chasing and lone does with bucks (lockdown). Week before Christmas through mid january, another round of new bucks and chasing. This year is/was no different. The last 4 years have been that exact scenario down to the day.

DRSJ35

Obviously you haven't hunted many East Tn counties as Greene is still one of the top producers. Just my opinion, but East Tn is hot or cold it seems. Unfortunately my lease has been cold since the 2017 EHD outbreak. Hopefully things turn around for you and you smoke a giant.
I've hunted Greene county for a very long time. Hawkins and Sullivan have it beat now a days. Look at the TWRA hunters toolbox and it will tell all. Greene isn't as bad as some. But it use to be the top county years ago. Now surrounding counties seem to be doubling what's killed in Greene that's my point. I hunt public land and always have. Either way I never give up.

SwampChicken

Ever since we bought our farm, I can watch 99% of deer activity from my house. We bought our house 4-1/2 years ago. For the last 4 years you can set your set your watch by them. Last week of October-first week of November, new bucks start showing up. Thanksgiving week and week after, lots of chasing and lone does with bucks (lockdown). Week before Christmas through mid january, another round of new bucks and chasing. This year is/was no different. The last 4 years have been that exact scenario down to the day.
What county are you in?

bkidd1187

I'm not seeing anything right now either, but I found the most gnarly, horrific rub I've ever seen before on my place. I'm hoping something has moved in, or it's the buck that I shot at last Sat and hopefully missed. 1"+ mountain laurel stalks snapped clean off. Something was definitely ticked!
I know we hunt around the same county. I went yesterday morning to a spot I've always seen deer but the woods were dead. Decided to do some still hunting through the hardwoods since the leave were wet. Found a pretty good rub line. Hung a trailcam near it so hopefully I can see who left it and when they're moving through.

buckaroo

I live in Greene co, 6 years ago I would see deer in my driveway every other day, now Im lucky to see a deer on my place every 6 months, they disappeared about the time I started seeing tons of pics of coyote's and around time of ehd, some pockets of areas still have lots of deer

Latest posts