Duck/Goose Recipe

TAFKAP

Bravo! I would practice a pan sear technique on the mallard so that you can really knock the speck out of the park.

Simple is best. A generous sprinkling of salt & pepper on both sides, let it sit for at least an hour, meat-side down on a plate. After an hour, pat dry, then use your knife to score through the skin into the fat (not the meat).

For the mallard, warm a cast iron skillet to medium for about 10 minutes. Turn it to medium-high, and place the meat in, skin-side down. Use your fingers to push down on it. Let it sear for about 60-90 seconds. The goal is not to smoke the fat that's rendering out, and to get the skin brown & crispy. Flip it when it's ready, and quickly sprinkle salt across the top of the skin.

Now, you're just searing bare meat. IF you're cooking two matching breasts, do them at the same time. After a minute on the meat-side down, set them up against each other so that the widest side of the breast is in the pan, for another minute. Hit the last side for another 30-60 seconds.

Pull from pan, and rest on a warm plate. Slice with a sharp knife into thin strips, leaving each piece with some crunchy skin.

TAFKAP

I like to make a dish of baked cheese grits, then let them cool. After I've cooked the duck, I'll slice out portions of the grits and fry them in the duck fat left in the pan.

TAFKAP

If that duck is anything darker than medium, you've cooked it too long. Medium rare is ideal. I compare it to someone that overcooked some seared tuna.

Latest posts