Does ANYONE use 150 grains of powder

Locksley

WestTn Huntin'man said:
Mathews Hunter said:
cecil30-30 said:
You can tell if your wasteing powder if there are alot of sparks coming out of the end of the barrel when you shoot with your smoke.The sparks is the unburnt powder.Whats the barrel length?

The barrell length is 24 inches. Honestly, I have never seen any sparks come out.
Try shooting it one evening at dark or close to it. You might be in for a surprise.To get a good burn with 150grains you need a 28" barrel.

DITTO THAT . I was shooting 90 grains loose FF black in my 40 inch barrell flintlock longrifle and it was my best load anything more opened up my groups.

smokepolehall

150gr of any powder in a ML is way too much. its not just the length of bbl. its also the cal. bigger bore & longer bbl. the more powder it can burn. thats not saying your ML will be accurate with big loads. i have found that using a conical or sabot 60 to 100 gr is more than adequate for hunting

Mathews Hunter

I am going to buy some BH209 and give that stuff a try. I am currently shooting a .45 caliber. Precision Rifle makes a 250 gr. .45 caliber bullet I am thinking about trying as well. I want to buy a .50 caliber but just can't make myself do it yet. I have killed a lot of deer with my .45. Never lost one, it has just been a great gun.

Lis

I had an .45 Cal Omega using 150 grains of powder modified the breech plug by purchasing the .25 cal small rifle primer on it, never had any issues with blowing back or not. I had that Omega shooting at 400 yards at them steel targets.

The only issue was that once hunting in VAFB CA in a misty morning my damb primer did not light up the powder due to the primer getting moist while using the .25 cartridge.

I know some of you will not believe the 400 yard shot, but I use to live in CA where they had a range that went out to 700 yards minutes away from the house. Now am here in TN due to Uncle Sams Orders.

If you all do not think it's possible at that range, just need to have a good set up, I had a mildot scope on it.

I had a cloned Mark V 2.5X10 X40 mildot scope on it

Lis

Mathews Hunter said:
400 Yards! That's pretty cool!

Mathews Hunter Sir,
A 400 yard is a long distance for a Muzzle Loader, however it's not as accurate as shooting close distance, for instance when I was shooting at 400 yards at the deer targets I would aim right above the shoulders with the fourth dot and it would hit the target bout rib side or stomach once in a while it would hit the shoulders but when you're Hunting "One shot is the only one you have and must make it count" But it can reach out there if you practice and try it.

Shot a 2X2 out at VAFB CA wiht it, not that far away 120 yards. This year I purchased a BP EXPRESS made by Ultimate Firearms INC, this weapon system can reach out at 500 yards away within MOA accuracy and it's legal Muzzle Loader, will try it out this season in CA this September and hopefully here in TN when I get a few hunting rifles back from CA.

I have a Savage 210 rifled shotgun which I shot a buck out at 392 yards out at that base, I have got a lot of "Am full of
S_ _ _!!" shooter but I have the footage to prove it just don't know how to post the damb video. Anyways this is a Muzzleloader topic.

Shooting Long Distance can be done, just a lot of time in the range, costly that's for sure, a box of Hornady 300 gr Sabots go around $8.65 for five rounds and I have shot about 8 boxes in one day.
Long Distance can be done.

I've been told out in VAFB some lady and some military retired folks that I should not take a long distance shot at them big bucks because I will only make them sufer, of course the Big Boys are always hanging around in the Muzle Loader areas.

Latest posts