Powder

Wobblyshot1

Modern muzzleloading hunters pay a buck fifty to two plus for the bullet they're using.
I think they figure that the hunter will willingly pay about the same per shot to propel said bullet.

After all you won't have to clean.

Seriously though, I'd like to know myself and I don't even use it.

Thank you Hodgdon.:(

Last edited:

Wobblyshot1

Swiss premium grade black powder and 777 provide nearly identical results in terms of velocity produced. However, I'll admit, the 777 will burn cleaner but you'll have to use a much hotter primer to set it off. Also, there's the dreaded 777 crud ring to contend with which can be pretty much taken care of if you use moderate charges instead of trying to make your muzzleloader a magnum. Not bashing 777 at all....smoke em if you got em.

BSK

Swiss premium grade black powder and 777 provide nearly identical results in terms of velocity produced. However, I'll admit, the 777 will burn cleaner but you'll have to use a much hotter primer to set it off. Also, there's the dreaded 777 crud ring to contend with which can be pretty much taken care of if you use moderate charges instead of trying to make your muzzleloader a magnum. Not bashing 777 at all....smoke em if you got em.
We all use in-lines and shotgun primers. No failed 777 ignitions. No one has ever experienced a crud ring because no one uses more than 90 grains of loose 777. We don't shoot light bullets fast. We shoot very, very heavy bullets slow (350 or 400 grn lead conicals).

CHRIS WILSON

What's up with the price of Black horn powder? Walmart has it a $83.00, that's getting about crazy. Any other powder that is just as good or what 🤷
I saw that the other week and just shook my head. I use Blackhorn in my Knight but will switch over to Triple 7 when my current stash runs out if prices stay that high.

Smo

If it ain't broke, don't fix it..

F50B3485-E4E5-4CFB-927C-C0A77F84AD50.jpeg

Latest posts