Does ANYONE use 150 grains of powder

Mathews Hunter

I have always used it in my CVA Hunter Bolt until last year. Three Pyrodex 50 gr. pellets. I switched to 100 grains of 777 last year. I do not shoot alot, only to sight in. I may go back to 150 gr. this year. Am I wasting powder or is there a big difference, (velocity, energy, etc.) I do not have a chronograph.

cecil30-30

You can tell if your wasteing powder if there are alot of sparks coming out of the end of the barrel when you shoot with your smoke.The sparks is the unburnt powder.Whats the barrel length?

Howa

I have shot it before, but really saw no benefit other that being sucker-punched everytime I shot it. I bought some of the 30 grain pellets and backed her down to 130 and grouped a lot better. Now that BH209 is out, I won't ever shoot another pellet though.

Mathews Hunter

cecil30-30 said:
You can tell if your wasteing powder if there are alot of sparks coming out of the end of the barrel when you shoot with your smoke.The sparks is the unburnt powder.Whats the barrel length?

The barrell length is 24 inches. Honestly, I have never seen any sparks come out.

WTM

150 gr of 777 loose powder is not equivalent of 150 gr of black powder. its way over. about 120 gr of 777 loose is equal to a 150 gr charge, less if its fffg.

ive found in my 2 rifles that anything over 105 gr loose and the groups open wide.

Boone 58

I did when i first bought my new MZ but figured out after a few years that i was wasting powder but more importantly i was very inaccurate in a non consistent way. One bullet would be fairly close the next 7 inches high and 3 inches left and the next about the same but in the opposite direction so as i backed down both improved substantially....i am now at 130 and looking to backtrack to about the 110 area....777 pellets.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Mathews Hunter said:
cecil30-30 said:

The barrell length is 24 inches. Honestly, I have never seen any sparks come out.
Try shooting it one evening at dark or close to it. You might be in for a surprise.To get a good burn with 150grains you need a 28" barrel.

UTGrad

WestTn Huntin'man said:
Mathews Hunter said:
cecil30-30 said:

Try shooting it one evening at dark or close to it. You might be in for a surprise.To get a good burn with 150grains you need a 28" barrel.

Agreed, 24" is short to burn all of that powder.

Mathews Hunter

WTM said:
150 gr of 777 loose powder is not equivalent of 150 gr of black powder. its way over. about 120 gr of 777 loose is equal to a 150 gr charge, less if its fffg.

ive found in my 2 rifles that anything over 105 gr loose and the groups open wide.

My apologies, I meant I went from 150 gr. of pyrodex pellets to 100 gr. of 777 pellets.

How does BH209 compare to Pyrodex or 777 pellets? Is is hotter?

iowavf

I shoot 150 grns. of 777 pellots. I did notice that I have less drop @ 200 yards when using 150 to 100 grains, but I also have some fire out the end of the barrel.

iowavf

It's an older Encore so I know not all the powder is getting burned up, but just never messed with loose too much when the pellots seem to work good. Am going to try some Blackhorn this fall.

Baxter83

SURE!!! I loaded almost 200 grains in my Knight for a couple shots due to my powder measuring incompetence. My buddy asked if I was shooting a 50 cal or a cannon after the second shot so I remeasured my reloads and found that I had almost doubled the 100 grain mark....... :D

spitndrum

I tried to in my Pro Hunter, it didnt do well with Hornady XTPs, My brother and dad shoot 150 outa there Encores with T/C Shockwaves??

I killed a Deer with the Shockwaves last year I mgiht see if I can get that combo through my Pro Hunter this year??

cecil30-30

Baxter83 said:
SURE!!! I loaded almost 200 grains in my Knight for a couple shots due to my powder measuring incompetence. My buddy asked if I was shooting a 50 cal or a cannon after the second shot so I remeasured my reloads and found that I had almost doubled the 100 grain mark....... :D
Thats funny,but kinda scary too.What was the recoil like?

Baxter83

cecil30-30 said:
Baxter83 said:
Thats funny,but kinda scary too.What was the recoil like?

A DAYUM cannon!!!!! :D

UTGrad

Mathews Hunter said:
WTM said:

My apologies, I meant I went from 150 gr. of pyrodex pellets to 100 gr. of 777 pellets.

How does BH209 compare to Pyrodex or 777 pellets? Is is hotter?

BH209 is hotter than 777 pellets. If I had to guess I would say 75-100 fps at 100 grains.

Latest posts