Do gut hook knives work well?

TurkeyBurd

Use the same knife. Rite on! Works well.

7mm08 said:
I have a Browning 2 blade PBS(I think that's what they call it). In my limited experience of two deer with it has worked great. Buck makes one now as well. mine has the gut hook on the knife, and a saw blade that is wicked sharp.

small incision just below the xyphoid (right below the sternum), insert hook and give it a good firm pull down. Nice thing about it to me it avoids another area where one could cut themselves with a very sharp knife, especially at night. I work with my hands so that is very important to me.

Since I already have the Browning, buy the Buck 2 blade folding kind, and if you don't like I will buy it from you. A guy can't have enough knives you know!

moondawg

I used my Buck Diamondback w/guthook and found it clumsy to use. I had trouble with it for some reason, maybe the guthook wasn't sharp enough. I ended up using my Gerber Wyoming Knife to unzip the deer...it works good enough for me!

dcsoldier44

this past year my buddy smoked a big doe right after his lil girls birthday party. he has an old buck knife that his daddy gave him the day we graduated high school (it was his for many years) long story short we set to workin this deer and the tip broke, along with my buddys heart, i got to lookin in my feild pack and found a seat belt cutter i had been issued at fort campbell. i said hey lets try this and man within 25 seconds that deer was holloed out. needless to say i got with my supply seargent and we have several of them now. those things are super sharp we used our case pocket knives to skin her out but after he poked a hole in her chest, it was too east to cut the rest of the way down and dump guts.

LCU

I use a Gerber gut hook.
It has 2 holes for fingers,and uses replacable razor blades.

Can't be used for anything else like a knife,but it's foolproof,and works great. Can't puncture guts with it.

1bow4me

Sae here LCU, I would keep your trusty Knife and get the Gerber, at least you can replace the blades

Latest posts