What do you carry?

jb3

Typical hunt for me is only 4-5 hours so I'm limited on what I take. I do carry a small purse like pack which has ammo, binos, flashlight, knife, phone, and pull cord. If my son is with me, maybe a bottle of water.

TNReb

I try to only take the necessities... right now my pack has:

- bow hanger
- small screw hooks for pack/quiver
- range finder
- bottle of water & snack (jerky/almonds)
- field dressing gloves
- headlamp/flashlight
- pull rope
- tree rope
- knife
- small bone saw
- orange flagging tape

sharpshooter

I don't know how you guys go to the woods without TP. The woods are like a laxative. Other than that, I bring my weapon, knife, flashlight, cleaning gloves, maybe zip ties or string for tag, sometimes a small saw/pruner if venturing into new territory and phone.

TNReb

Nsghunter":v47qonxm said:
orange flagging tape, that's a good addition

Comes in awful handy when marking a blood trail at night or when hunting property you aren't familiar with.

THEdonkey0515

Head lamp.
Back up hand held flashlight. I have dropped a light outta the tree, And busted it.
GPS

Extra battery's for GPS/flash lights. Nothing Worse then needed your GPS or lights only to find out there dead.

Knife. Some times I carry two just for the heck of it. One in my pack one on my side.

Drag handle, Just bought this season. I always just grabbed the deer to drag it out. Till I used one helping someone else drag out a deer. I was amazed how easy it was with that handle.

That's it besides the clothes I wear, Safety vest, and weapon/ammo.

Hunter 257W

Rifle, at least a dozen rounds of ammo, turkey stool with cushion, deer call and flashlight. That's it. Since I hunt on my own land and walk from the house to wherever I'm hunting, I don't even take a knife. If I shoot a deer, I walk back and get the truck and drive to the deer with my receiver hitch hoist for gutting. No real field dressing in the classic sense where you gut before dragging the deer. I like to keep it simple.

I DO always have some kind of cough drops to keep from making noise clearing my throat.

Matador

Usually have: knife rope compass matches flashlight raincoat or poncho plenty of shells GPS whistle cell phone with at least one backup power supply Thermos of coffee snacks and paperback book

scubacamper

sharpshooter":lbl9syvg said:
I don't know how you guys go to the woods without TP. The woods are like a laxative. Other than that, I bring my weapon, knife, flashlight, cleaning gloves, maybe zip ties or string for tag, sometimes a small saw/pruner if venturing into new territory and phone.

Lol, I know exactly what you're talking about - don't know what it is, unless I force myself to go before I head out, it seems like every time I go into the woods, nature calls.

But yes, TP in a ziplock bag, sidearm (Beretta 96), gut/skin/bonesaw combination knife, snake bite kit, flashlight (extra batteries), latex gloves, zip ties, pull rope, phone, backup battery for phone, leatherman, marking tape, compass, emergency poncho, deer drag strap (came with my harness), simple sewing kit, very small first aid kit, couple silent, odorless (or almost odorless) snacks, and perhaps a thermos for coffee....
I definitely bring too much, but I'm afraid if I don't bring it, I'll invariably need it.

Mike Belt

Scuba beat me to it.... a zip lock bag for your toilet paper. I've been caught in the rain too many times and using it wet doesn't work well.

david k.

My backpack always has bino's, knife, limb saw, paracord pull up rope, headlight, extra batteries, compass, TP in a zip-lock, wet wipes in a zip-lock, latex gloves, water, granola bar, safety strap for harness, grunt call, skull cap and gloves.

Boone 58

Deer stand, pull rope, foldable hand saw, one replacement clip if I use that stand just in case I drop one in the dark, my knife, trail tacks, bow,or gun hanger, My steiner 8x42 binos, grunt call, and sometimes others, coffee in a thermos. and usually a snack. if I think I will be in a longer range situation I may have my mono pod shooting stick for steadiness. usually also lens cleaner for my glasses for when the spider webs screw them up.....I hate spider webs.

Mr.Bro

Everything pretty much covered. I do carry a backup release and spare head light.

Also a book sometime. OK flame away you guys that only hunt and never relax.

Tweeter

I walk in a mile so I carry a screw in hanger, binos, mnt dew or 2, chew (gotta have chew or I can't hunt) dirt spray, pull up rope, wee wee when needed, knife, face paint, grunt when needed, scent-a-way wipes for dressing, sunglasses

sbhockey

Headlamp, kill kit (gloves, bone saw, knife that's only used for gutting, string to tie off windpipe occasionally) water, jerky, cliff bar, marking tape, 50' of orange para cord, light weight poncho, external battery for phone, tp in a zip lock, bug net mask, folding saw, lighter, bino, and a range finder. That's the basics. I'll add in things depending on weather, what weapon I'm using, ground blind or climber.

Monday I managed to forget the cocking rope for my crossbow, stupid mistake I didn't realized until I started unloading the boat.

Latest posts