Do gut hook knives work well?

pety221

heres a lil idea for ya'll the throw away shingle hook blades u buy at the hardware store work better than anything i have found to gut a deer with cheap an work really well .

BlackBelt

I started using a gut hook last year. So far I've dressed over a dozen deer with it. It really works just as quickly as zipping up a jacket. I keep mine sharp with a rat-tail file also.
It's SO much quicker for me to use the gut hook rather than the 2-finger/blade method that I used for years. It's just "ZIP" and it's done.

A

Anonymous

The guys are right about the shingle hook blades. As a taxidermist, I skin alot of deer and when I'm skinning, the only tool i ever use is a utility knife. I even use one to flesh the face when I'm preping hides.

I make most of my major meat cuts with a straight knife. I tried one with a gut hook and it was terrible about getting hung in the meat and especially when cleaning out the pelvic cavity.

Wyoming knives are okay but very awkward for those of us with huge hands. Also, their blade length is horrible for penetration.

Latest posts