Do gut hook knives work well?

Arse

I've got an old favorite Buck that I've had for over twenty years that I would hate to retire, but I'm starting to get curious about gut hook knives.

Can you really open a deer up in just seconds without worrying about sticking the paunch? What about for skinning -- are they good for splitting the hide?

Gravey

My knife has 3 blades -- regular blade, saw, and gut hook. The gut hook is really a regular blade with a blunt tip not the normal gut hook on the backside of a blade. I use the regular blade to get into the cavity and then insert the blunt tip gut hook and open the deer like a zipper. Works like a charm. The design of mine doesn't allow for skinning so I just use the regular blade.

strutandrut

I have a 2 bladed Buck knife. I use the regular blade to cut me a starting point. Then, I use the hook to open them up. I have used this knife on 10 or so deer since I bought it and never hit the 'stinky part' yet. Very effective.

FULLDRAWXX75

I have both, but use my reg. blade nearly everytime. I have found the two blades with gut hooks cause more hair problems & the blades seem to catch on everything if using them to quarter up or skin out a hide.

I normally just pull the belly skin up near the privates and poke a hole large enough to get two fingers in it, then insert my knife between my fingers and run straight up the belly to the brisket. No fuss, no muss.

FDXX75

Arse

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
I normally just pull the belly skin up near the privates and poke a hole large enough to get two fingers in it, then insert my knife between my fingers and run straight up the belly to the brisket. No fuss, no muss.

FDXX75

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for a couple of decades now; the gut hook appeared to be a more effective way.

I am glad to get the opinion of people with experience so that I don't run out and buy something and then be disappointed.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Like any knife a gut hook works well if it's sharp and will hold a edge. Some of them the hook is small and diffcult to sharpen.
I almost always use it at night for safty reasons. Hate to cut my finger while doing the deed.
If it's daylight I use my straight edge.

Baxter83

I have a couple buddies that seem to HAVE to have all the new things that both use one. I've tried them and they are pretty effective and make opening them up a little easier. However, you still have to reach in and do the dirty work the old fashioned way. I decided to just stick with my old timer straight blade.

7mm08

I have a Browning 2 blade PBS(I think that's what they call it). In my limited experience of two deer with it has worked great. Buck makes one now as well. mine has the gut hook on the knife, and a saw blade that is wicked sharp.

small incision just below the xyphoid (right below the sternum), insert hook and give it a good firm pull down. Nice thing about it to me it avoids another area where one could cut themselves with a very sharp knife, especially at night. I work with my hands so that is very important to me.

Since I already have the Browning, buy the Buck 2 blade folding kind, and if you don't like I will buy it from you. A guy can't have enough knives you know!

Model70Man

I have a Buck knife with a gut hook. I use it everytime when cleaning out a deer. I've opened 5 hogs and approx 25 deer using the gut hook and it's still sharp. I have no complaints what so ever with a gut hook knive.

Webbie

i wouldn't take anything for mine. i think it helps eliminates the mistake of cutting anything on the inside you dont want to cut lol. strongly recommended.

gil1

I love using a gut hook too....
But
Once it gets dull, it's difficult to work with. I can't figure out how to sharpen a gut hook. If there's some obvious sharpening answer or even something not so obvious, I'd love to hear it.

Arse

gil1 said:
But
Once it gets dull, it's difficult to work with. I can't figure out how to sharpen a gut hook. If there's some obvious sharpening answer or even something not so obvious, I'd love to hear it.

The sharpening aspect has occurred to me also. I have guessed that you would use a rat tail file and sharpen it as you would a chain saw.

Anyone else have a suggestion on sharpening?

Southpaw

Arse said:
gil1 said:
But

The sharpening aspect has occurred to me also. I have guessed that you would use a rat tail file and sharpen it as you would a chain saw.

Anyone else have a suggestion on sharpening?

That is exactly what I do.

jimbobfish

Stop by a police equipment store and buy a 'Tatical Seat belt cutter'. Looks like a Colorado knive without the exposed blade. Works GREAT and uses standard utility knife blades when dull. Should run $5-$10 bucks.

7mm08

I have a round file I bought at Smokey Mt. Knifeworks to sharpen serrated blades on my river knives (half blade/half serrated to cut ropes quickly). It worked great on sharpening the gut hook. I only sharpen in one direction

moondawg

I have one of those Wyoming knives from Gerber. It works the same way as a guthook. I use my main knife to make the first incision and use the wyoming knife (basically a razor blade) to "unzip" the deer.

I also have a new Buck guthook that I have yet to try out.

Latest posts